IGNORED

Fear of large abandoned structures

Guest Pennywise

Brian Eno - Fear of Large Abandoned Structures [2011]

I like going around large abandoned structures

I think it's fascinating, I would love to explore abandoned places.

Good topic.

I love abandoned structures.

i love exploring places like this.

click

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Rabid

There are about 70 abandoned structures near where I live. The most famous one is an abandoned mental hospital:

kings%20park%20psych.jpg

IMG_0861.jpg

Guest rumbo

The only reason I know that's Hoover Dam is because I played New Vegas. Who said games aren't educational? (I hope that's Hoover Dam)

That abandoned pyramid like hotel is so creepy. Where is that, the Philippines or some other east asian country? I know it's somewhere like that.

Guest Gravity

First thing I thought of when I saw that dam photo was that part in Half-Life 1. Good thing Ichthyosaurs aren't real.

maybe they are

These pictures don't bother me but it's the idea of being so close to structures that does bother me.

work.3776382.5.flat,550x550,075,f.the-west-pier-brighton-hdr.jpg

west-pier.jpg

I would hate standing this close to it and the idea of being underneath the structure is terrifying.

Another one is the sunken Titanic, even swimming over the titanic on the surface of the sea would scare me shitless, just knowing its down there. How about being on the ocean seabed and encountering the front of the titanic, knowing that the rest of it is infront of you, in the darkness.

It's basically Megalophopia but more specifically with abandoned/dead structures. Guess it's a death related fear. Any of you the same? I think it's probably quite common.

See, those pictures just seem hauntingly beautiful to me. Abandoned structures fill me with a kind of fascination, a feeling I can only get from something with such a distinct absence of human energy. Of life, of purpose, of happiness. These are all wonderful things, and when they are taken away, it leaves something tragic.

When a building is created, a large gap has to be cut into the natural energy that used to occupy the space. It's like a tradeoff; you loose that natural energy, and in return, you get a useful building that satisfies human energy. But when the building is simply left to rot, it leaves the stark absence of both energies, and the inner walls feel like a deafening silence.

on topic, i am currently exploring the abandoned part of portland stone quarry in dorset, its awesome! Photos when i get home if your interested. Loads of cool stone arches, crags and nature. Sun is out too!

I went to an abandoned hospital that was condemned because of a fire. It's in Hansen, MA and the inside is straight out of Silent Hill. One look inside and your sphincter could crush a diamond. All of the windows are boarded up and only one of the boards near an easily accessible window has torn down. So once you're inside, you better have a good sense of direction, because there's only one way out, it is very dark and it looks like a place Satan would have a tea party.

Stretchers covered in debris, open cabinets, medical equipment scattered everywhere, and pitch blackness... with small beams of sunlight sometimes coming in through cracks in the boarded up windows revealing the charred interior... :unsure:

don't ever go to Detroit.

and why not is that?

Word is there are more abandoned buildings in Detroit then there are worms in that one foot gif.

and that says what?

Guest spike

and that says that the OP would be a little uncomfortable with all the abandoned buildings, homes, neighborhoods. I personally enjoyed the view. example: the old train depot thing.

Guest hahathhat

don't ever go to Detroit.

and why not is that?

Word is there are more abandoned buildings in Detroit then there are worms in that one foot gif.

and that says what?

sphincter.

Some pictures of the abandoned Quarry area in Portland here - just done a bit of searching and it turns out that in the late 80s the quarry area was reopened as a sculpture park, hence all the random carvings and monuments we found littered around the site. You really did have to search hard to find some of them - they were not marked on a map or anything. We seemed to be the only people in the whole area even though it was open to the public - it felt very isolated but almost an adventure (whats around the next corner.... lets go this way...?)

The falling man was apparently an early Gormley carving (Gormley of "angel of the north" fame).

Not exactly an abandoned structure, but a pretty awesome way to spend an afternoon in the sunshine.

Guest Coalbucket PI

I was once snorkelling somewhere in Thailand and about 300m out to sea on my own I suddenly saw a VW Beatle convertible about 10m below me, in the dark with seaweed trailing off it and it frightened the shit out of me, I went to get my friend and tried to show him but I couldn't find it again.

Guest Coalbucket PI

also that sort of pyramid hotel Data posted is in North Korea and has been sort of finished in the last few years, or at least the exterior has

Archived