IGNORED

Korg Electribe EA-1

ryancolecreate

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest sirch

ffs, don't!

they're worth shit, in all honesty. they sound like crap and i, personally, wouldn't pay any more than 60 quid for one.

they just don't sound very good and they're a bit of a pain to use, imo of course.

They do sound a bit shite but are good fun. If you get a good deal on one, I say go for it! Two 16-step sequencers (I think it's 2 bars per sequence), a couple mediocre monosynths and a sequenceable mono fx processor - really, what's not to like? Especially if you have other gear it can flirt with.

I'm getting this dammit! This guy is selling one for $60! I'd say that's worth it, even if it doesn't sound like the tuss

Weird, that's the figure I had in my head.... yeah, great price! To put this in perspective, you can get a middle-of-the-road used stompbox for about this price. You can also use this for processing and then use it as a synth/sequencer too. Good stuff.

Guest jenny

i've got an electribe mx-1 and it's incredibly fun to use, although it's not very impressive soundwise. i don't really give a fuck, though, since it's so much fun to just improvise with.

Yeah def seems like I have to turn everything up volume-wise to really hear some depth in the frequencies.

Stupid amounts of endless knob turning though all in this little box :)

• 2 weeks later...

Ya it's good fun.

As an effect it's quite fun to fuck around with.

skip to about 2 mins to see how it can be used as a gated effect. I used to also feed it's own signal back in with effect inline before it and you get some gnarly stuff that the puny little synth engine would never manage on it's own haha.

• 3 years later...

Sorry for the bump but just wanted to say I just bought one of these brand new off craigslist for $75. It's my first piece of hardware. Have no idea what I'm doing, my only musical experience is a dozen years on the piano, but I'm psyched to have some fun here.

Sorry for the bump but just wanted to say I just bought one of these brand new off craigslist for $75. It's my first piece of hardware. Have no idea what I'm doing, my only musical experience is a dozen years on the piano, but I'm psyched to have some fun here.

Run something else (a phone, a radio, a tape player, another cheap piece of hardware if you can find more for cheap) into it for extra fun. This is where it shines imo.

frankbooth, I'd think you'll have a lot of fun learning/writing with it. I've been wanting those old Electribes for years, they've got a great sound while still being very deep in what you can do with them.

the Electribe SX-1 was my first peace of hardware and it felt like the perfect one to start with. Never used an old one but I'm sure it has a lot of charm and allows you to make almost everything you can do with the second generation ones.

have fun!

(PS: still using the ESX-1 as my main (only) hardware beat-machine. sure, one of the reason is I don't work that much and am pretty low on money but I'm proud I'm still able to use it after all those years, to pull a pleasing sound out of it...)

Thanks for the support guys, been having a wild time just making sounds these past couple days. Already wish I had a drum machine too. If I could get something like a 606 for a decent price, would that be good to combo with this? Or would the ES-1 make more sense?

I'd recommend the ES-1. A monosynth (or 2x monosynth) plus a sampler/sequencer, in my opinion, is a winning combination. This lets you resample stuff you create in the EA-1 so you can use it for drum sounds, or record little phrases into it. That way you get a feel for the sound palette of the EA-1 but aren't tied down by its limited polyphony.

Archived