IGNORED

how to do chiptunes?

o00o

Guest hahathhat

id rather just sample sounds from old 8 bit or 16 bit video games and incorporate them into real tracks. people who made these original tunes did so because they were limited by the chipset they were making sounds on. if they had the ability to make "real" tracks, or at least better sounding ones, they would have. the concept of limiting their sound back then would have been ludicrous, because back then there was no elevated status of "novel" approaches to making tunes, or any kind of culture around it. maybe im just old, but to limit yourself to making tunes that sound like they were made in the amiga/nes days or whatever just seems boring. not to mention in the big picture it's probably regressive to music as a whole because people focus less on the musical aspect and more on the gimmick. unless of course you have some other intention like fitting into a particular crowd, being recognized/paid attention to by a certain group of people.

please explain the use of the amen break in the tracks on your soundcloud.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

id rather just sample sounds from old 8 bit or 16 bit video games and incorporate them into real tracks. people who made these original tunes did so because they were limited by the chipset they were making sounds on. if they had the ability to make "real" tracks, or at least better sounding ones, they would have. the concept of limiting their sound back then would have been ludicrous, because back then there was no elevated status of "novel" approaches to making tunes, or any kind of culture around it. maybe im just old, but to limit yourself to making tunes that sound like they were made in the amiga/nes days or whatever just seems boring. not to mention in the big picture it's probably regressive to music as a whole because people focus less on the musical aspect and more on the gimmick. unless of course you have some other intention like fitting into a particular crowd, being recognized/paid attention to by a certain group of people.

please explain the use of the amen break in the tracks on your soundcloud.

isnt it obvious, the track names themselves have amen in it

do you know where VOPM can be downloaded from so I could make my own tunes?

Yeah it's a free VSTi - http://www.geocities.jp/sam_kb/VOPM/ (yep Geocities still exists in Japan !)

Like all FM synths, it rock hard to program - I just move the sliders almost at random until I get something useful !

NB It's also quite unstable (Well it is on Buzz anyway) so save regular backups....

Cool! Does it have drums or is it just synthesis?

* Brain asplodes *

the only way i've been able to get convincing Gen like sounds out of VOPM is by loading up the filesets that people have ripped from Genesis games already. Unfortunately on the OSX intel version this feature mysteriously does nothing, on all the other versions i've tried it works fine (loading these files)

Guest futuregirlfriend
do you know where VOPM can be downloaded from so I could make my own tunes?

Yeah it's a free VSTi - http://www.geocities.jp/sam_kb/VOPM/ (yep Geocities still exists in Japan !)

Like all FM synths, it rock hard to program - I just move the sliders almost at random until I get something useful !

NB It's also quite unstable (Well it is on Buzz anyway) so save regular backups....

Cool! Does it have drums or is it just synthesis?

* Brain asplodes *

Archived