IGNORED

PIAS DADC fire and what it means

oscillik

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/aug/09/independent-record-labels-stock-london-riots

okay, as many of us here will be aware by now, the fire has destroyed a lot of stock there at the DADC. But what isn't known is what kind of stock was held there. We can assume that CDs and DVDs were held there, but could it be plausible that Vinyl stock was held there too?

Very disappointed about the possible implications this could have on the indies here :(

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You might have seen this already, from the fb page of Norman Records:

Dreadful news from the rioting in London last night. The Sony DADC warehouse was burnt down last night which holds all the stock for PIAS UK (our largest supplier). Many of the labels like 4AD, Domino, Warp, Rock Action, Matador etc will probably have had their UK stock destroyed. Obviously this will have a massive effect on the music industry (and us). Our thoughts go out to all of those who've lost their jobs and livelihoods from this. Only time will tell what the knock on effect will be...

(Source: http://www.facebook.com/normanrecords).

Implies that it doesn't look good at all. Don't forget the implications for independent record shops as well, who're probably struggling enough as it is.

Damn that is awful news. My heart goes out to the labels and their employees and all of the fans who will probably have to pay a premium for the releases they want, if they can find copies at all.

it's all well and good being indignant approximately 3500 miles away from where the trouble is happening.

armchair ethics.

Damn that is awful news. My heart goes out to the labels and their employees and all of the fans who will probably have to pay a premium for the releases they want, if they can find copies at all.

it's all well and good being indignant approximately 3500 miles away from where the trouble is happening.

armchair ethics.

wow you completely misunderstood my post. completely.

armchair ethics.

ahh, sorry....my sarcasm detector is way way off today, and i guess i'm kinda making some knee-jerk reactions myself in poor judgement

please accept my apologies for getting completely the wrong end of the stick

Damn... this might be the end of some of these labels as they were struggling to stay afloat to begin with... does insurance cover these losses?

What's sadder is there might be releases where those were the only physical copies remaining in the world - some music may be lost forever due to this (I certainly hope not).

Here's a partial list of labels affected by this (courtesy of Scott Hansen's ISO50 blog):

2020 Vision

Beggars

Border Community

Boysnoize

Def Jux

Domino

Drag City

FatCat

Full Time Hobby

Kitsune

Kompakt

Lex

Mute

Ninja Tune

Peacefrog

Rough Trade

Secretly Canadian / Jagjaguwar / Dead Oceans

Soma

Sonar Kollectiv

Soul Jazz

Subliminal

Thrill Jockey

Touch And Go

Vagrant

Vice

Warp

armchair ethics.

ahh, sorry....my sarcasm detector is way way off today, and i guess i'm kinda making some knee-jerk reactions myself in poor judgement

please accept my apologies for getting completely the wrong end of the stick

No problem man, everyone has bad days. :flower:

And... who lit the fire and why?

I'm guessing that will most likely never be known.

But, that website says they fire was caused by riots - what riots?

:facepalm:

alright, that is far more legitimately stupid a statement than my bad joke. i concede my defeat.

But, that website says they fire was caused by riots - what riots?

:facepalm:

alright, that is far more legitimately stupid a statement than my bad joke. i concede my defeat.

Ignorance is bliss :cat:

This really does suck balls.

Im gonna go to my indie at the weekend and buy ISAM on vinyl.

This whole thing also made me feel the need to buy something, anything from mine.

Archived