IGNORED

Hummus Appreciation Thread

Hautlle

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

warning - hummus anecdote:

i once bought some jalapeno hummus from sainsburys and took it home and ate it with some toasted pitta. upon finishing the whole pot in one sitting (yes just one sitting!!) i enthusiastically declared "this is the best hummus i have ever tasted!".

true story.

that was hummorus

Guest kineaesth

Amazingly, I just made my own hummus two days ago!

It included chickpeas, olive oil, tahini, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and thyme.

Great stories everyone!! Hummus is awesome! Was it inspired by the Gods? What the fuck are chickpeas? Who invented hummus? Think we can meet up in the after life? Hummus sandwiches?

I once got into a huge and irritating argument with my cousin and best friend about the ingredients of hummus, hamos, hommos, hommus, homos, houmous, hummos,hummous, or humus. I claimed that the two primary ingredients are pureed chickpeas and tahini. They claimed hummus, hamos, hommos, hommus, homos, houmous, hummos,hummous, or humus CAN be made with just chickpeas. I was adamant that tahini had to be included otherwise it would just be mushy chickpeas. We didn't have internet access at the time so we couldn't google it. Luckily we had some in the fridge. First two ingredients: Chickpeas, Tahini. They weren't convinced. I looked it up in the dictionary. "A Middle Eastern spread primarily made up of pureed chickpeas and tahini." They still didn't believe me. The argument proceeded into the night for hours. I'd like to think that they actually knew I was totally right but they couldn't look like pussies and concede.

This happened about 4 years ago and I'm still pissed as hell.

I love hoummus but it's really hard to get any decent pre-made hummus here so I have to resort to making it myself which is cool but it's horrible getting the leftover humus out between the blades of my blender, so the moral to the story is that everything has a downside, even homos.

But I'm making some tonight, lots of garlic and have some assorted chopped vegetables with it and maybe some falafel balls as well. And a shitload of green peppers (not bell peppers the jalapeno kind but milder).

I'm getting a houmos boner.

i know you're dutch, can't remember knowing if you lived in amsterdam or not, that might not matter though. basically, turkish take-aways that sell actual food, for example there's one near the end of Zeilstraat in amsterdam.. just go in there and ask for a tub of the stuff, it's a good price and they make it. get some patlıcan salatası and stuff too.

I used to eat truckloads of hummus in between meals in college.

Trader Joe's has this orgasmic Three-Layer Hummus. Roasted Red Pepper on top, Original in the middle, and Zesty Cilantro on the bottom. Scoop it with their hemp seed tortilla chips and you know you are living like a king.

The best supermarket hummus you can buy in the UK is Sabra Extra. Without doubt. If you live in the UK and have access to a Sainsburys, get on down there and buy some Sabra Extra. You won't regret it

202805.jpg?ts=634456949433

I'm just chilling, snacking on some Athenos brand Roasted Red Pepper Hummus, and this shit is delicious.

I just got some of the Artichoke & Garlic kind last night. Shit is delicious. Hummus & Pita is in my top 5 foods for sure.

I love hoummus but it's really hard to get any decent pre-made hummus here so I have to resort to making it myself which is cool but it's horrible getting the leftover humus out between the blades of my blender, so the moral to the story is that everything has a downside, even homos.

But I'm making some tonight, lots of garlic and have some assorted chopped vegetables with it and maybe some falafel balls as well. And a shitload of green peppers (not bell peppers the jalapeno kind but milder).

I just make my hummus with a potato masher. I make tahini in the blender, but that just washes off with some water.

sabra is the best hummus, hamos, hommos, hommus, homos, houmous, hummos,hummous, or humus Ive ever had. (somersaults out of thread while flipping the bird)

Guest 277: 930-933

I'm not at all down with all these humous/pesto hummus/guacamole hybrids that are being brought to the table here.

Takes all of the delicacy out of it.

Not cool.

Could see a good future for hoummos with some grilled bell pepper/red pepper type of sauce drizzled on it.

I just make my hummus with a potato masher. I make tahini in the blender, but that just washes off with some water.

This sounds like a great idea, I'll be trying this for my next batch of hommous.

You just mean one of these right?

Potato_Masher.jpg

i know you're dutch, can't remember knowing if you lived in amsterdam or not, that might not matter though. basically, turkish take-aways that sell actual food, for example there's one near the end of Zeilstraat in amsterdam.. just go in there and ask for a tub of the stuff, it's a good price and they make it. get some patlıcan salatası and stuff too.

I work in Amsterdam so that'll work.

Thanks!

I'm not at all down with all these humous/pesto hummus/guacamole hybrids that are being brought to the table here.

Takes all of the delicacy out of it.

Not cool.

Could see a good future for hoummos with some grilled bell pepper/red pepper type of sauce drizzled on it.

This sounds like a great idea, I'll be trying this for my next batch of hommous.

You just mean one of these right?

Potato_Masher.jpg

That would work really well. I have a plastic one which takes more effort to use, and to clean. The one in the picture would work great.

Throw in the oil/lemon juice before mashing. It makes it easier.

Guys, black bean hummus:

Spicy Black Bean Hummus

4-5 garlic cloves, peeled

2 Tblsps fresh lemon juice

1 Tblsp tahini (roasted sesame seed paste)

1 tsp ground cumin

1/4 tsp salt

1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained

1 small jalapeno pepper, chopped

Dash crushed red pepper

2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil

Dash ground red pepper

3665237741_9050447550.jpg

Archived