IGNORED

HECQ - Avenger

Redruth

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ryanmcallister

have you guys heard the extended previews on itunes? minute and a half of each track, so good. gonna be a good friday night, new hecq and fresh order of high grade sativa comin' in.

it it quite forgettable, apart for 2-3 tracks (bete noire, pulverized and reprise [boc tribute? :emotawesomepm9:])

the first track is hecq dubstep, the rest of the tracks are.. just some dubstep tracks with some hecq inserts here and there (i hope this makes sense to you)...

and the remixes are all dubstep remixes of dubstep tracks (except for architect's take on "bane" and the last track on the release), actually sounding like different versions of the original tracks.

all of this IMHO :flower: :flower: :flower:

but bete noire...man, what a piece....WOW!

• 7 months later...

Yeah, I really like this album, I do have a feeling it's generally disliked in this forum though. It'll probably sound dated as hell in a couple of years, but for now its good.

yeah its petty easy to consume. You like it instantly and then you start disliking it as fast as this as there are nothing that takes you long to get into

• 7 months later...
Guest catharsis

Spent the better part of a day listening to Hecq at work.

I honestly don't know why he isn't more popular around here. Even his older works have a great sense of originality, spacious atmospherics and nice musical variety (as far as electronic sounds go). Ben is definitely at hugely talented dude.

Guest catharsis

It should be noted that as someone who listens to music almost exclusively through (good) headphones, his music is among the best I've heard when wearing good cans.

It should be noted that as someone who listens to music almost exclusively through (good) headphones, his music is among the best I've heard when wearing good cans.

Completely agree. Even his old stuff has a sound design which is so highly advanced - or to put it bluntly: fat. Most electronic musicians should shake with jealousy.

Best thing with Hecq actually is, he really developed over the years. There is no album which is identical to the next. He made beats, IDM, Dubstep, Ambient, minimal classic stuff. And moreover, he is actually a really decent guy, not like many other.

Just listening to the previews.. big and slick but kind of vapid. Like a hollywood action movie. Not my thing. The overall sound is impressive though, sounds expensive. I wonder how much of this is a result of the mastering process, especially considering the remixes have that same fat sound.

• 1 month later...
I wonder how much of this is a result of the mastering process, especially considering the remixes have that same fat sound.

Good point.

And it's really the overall sound that's blasting me to bits and pieces. Just listened to it today in a car with very good speakers. The car was shaking when the subbass rolled through it.

Archived