oscillik

So what's the deal with the music? Why are they referencing all the Vangelis stuff?

Isn't this Johannson guy doing the OST?

Dunno why they didn't ask Vangelis again. No-one can top that soundtrack.

very mixed feelings about this. I just cannot see them coming remotely close to the original. My problem is that BR is in my top three movies of all time and I won't be able to watch this without making comparisons. 

Don't like Gosling in this. They should have gone with a cast of unknown actors - and left Ford out too.

Edited by fumi

So what's the deal with the music? Why are they referencing all the Vangelis stuff?

very mixed feelings about this. I just cannot see them coming remotely close to the original. My problem is that BR is in my top three movies of all time and I won't be able to watch this without making comparisons. 

Don't like Gosling in this. They should have gone with a cast of unknown actors - and left Ford out too.

Pretty much my thoughts. I am almost 100% sure this Vangelis-like music in the teaser is just for the teaser. The actual film could have completely different soundtrack which worries me that this could make a new Blade runner movie sound like not a "Blade runner" movie at all (if you know what I mean)...

Pretty much my thoughts. I am almost 100% sure this Vangelis-like music in the teaser is just for the teaser. The actual film could have completely different soundtrack which worries me that this could make a new Blade runner movie sound like not a "Blade runner" movie at all (if you know what I mean)...

This. I'm pretty sure Johann Johannsson hasn't even started the real production yet since he's been touring for the last couple of months. But then on the other hand he apparently started working on Arrival before they had started shooting the movie.

You should be more worried about this guy being in the cast

66PPIqC.jpg

wtf. You're kidding, right?

66PPIqC.jpg

Wish I were

The problem with trying to follow Bladerunner is that it carries such a huge freight of cultural goodness with it. 

My worries are that it will just be like that last Star Wars film when they basically fed all the other films into some Star Wars aggregator that produced some algorithm for spitting out movies that cater to fan-boy obsessives.

Edited by fumi

66PPIqC.jpg

Wish I were

Checks IMDb.

That's just wrong on so many levels. This thing is going down quicker than a whore after sunset.

wtf.

He was good in that one movie (right? There's gotta be one.).

Harrison Ford needs to retire.

I kinda think he is retired, sadly that hasn't stopped anyone offering him supermassive paydays. 

Edited by doublename

This.

66PPIqC.jpg

Wish I were

Checks IMDb.

That's just wrong on so many levels. This thing is going down quicker than a whore after sunset.

wtf.

Leto can be good...Or, decent, at least.

Edit: teaser is exactly that, very little in it from what I can tell. Mood seems about right, though.

Edited by auxien

The "trailer that's not a trailer" thing has me worried. They're trying way too much to do a Star Wars Force Awakens thing: simply redoing the original with new techniques. But also with the newer "storytelling" that comes with the franchise industry: executives deciding where the money is going, which is often something bland and generic.

Perhaps it's the Ford/Gosling dialogue with the tongue in cheek reference to the past. Or the attempt to recreate the visuals and the music from the original. Although... the music is arguably not even an attempt to sound like the original. 

Nevermind my grumpy crap though. I'm just allergic to the franchise shit that's washing through the cinema's.

The music really has me worried mainly because the director has used the same composer for the past two films - Sicario & Arrival. And now he's using him for Bladerunner.

This shit happens over and over again with one director just using his 'go-to' composer every time regardless of whether they are really suitable.

Tim Burton - Danny Elfman

Spielberg - john Williams

Look at Nolan and his relationship with Hans Zimmer. That guy has turned out some real crap for very high-profile films.

Wonder if Zimmer is soundtracking 'Dunkirk'?

Yes, of course he is.

Edited by fumi

The "trailer that's not a trailer" thing has me worried. They're trying way too much to do a Star Wars Force Awakens thing: simply redoing the original with new techniques. But also with the newer "storytelling" that comes with the franchise industry: executives deciding where the money is going, which is often something bland and generic.

Perhaps it's the Ford/Gosling dialogue with the tongue in cheek reference to the past. Or the attempt to recreate the visuals and the music from the original. Although... the music is arguably not even an attempt to sound like the original. 

Nevermind my grumpy crap though. I'm just allergic to the franchise shit that's washing through the cinema's.

The Bladerunner algorithm is (as we speak) churning through all the memorable bits from the first film and dutifully assembling them ready for Wired magazine to gush over next October.

i think its looks really promising,gosling seems perfect for the brooding,moody,silent type deckard-ish role,music was promising altho i,ve never heard any of his stuff before,and Denis Villeneuve seems to be one of the most interesting directors around at the moment...what could go wrong?...

He was good in that one movie (right? There's gotta be one.).

I kinda think he is retired, sadly that hasn't stopped anyone offering him supermassive paydays.

He's still signed with Disney for Indiana Jones 5

The music really has me worried mainly because the director has used the same composer for the past two films - Sicario & Arrival. And now he's using him for Bladerunner.

This shit happens over and over again with one director just using his 'go-to' composer every time regardless of whether they are really suitable.

Tim Burton - Danny Elfman

Spielberg - john Williams

Look at Nolan and his relationship with Hans Zimmer. That guy has turned out some real crap for very high-profile films.

Wonder if Zimmer is soundtracking 'Dunkirk'?

Yes, of course he is.

If it works, it works.

Danny Elfman has made some great soundtracks for Tim Burton. John Williams has made some great soundtracks for Spielberg. Michael Giacchino has made some great sounds for JJ Abrams etc. I've never been a fan of Zimmer, so I'm not going to comment on that.

But Johann Johansson is a great composer. Really great. And he's done electronic stuff before so I wouldn't worry at all. 

Calling it now: this is going to suck.

What made the original great was the psychological aspects and sparse use of dialogue whilst treading fresh (for want of a better word) territory.

The studio will pump in far too much action / Ford / car chases / etc, to pander to the bums-on-seats-at-cinema ratio requirement,

IMO. And I hope I am proven wrong.

Hollywood managed to do good with Mad Max, beyond all expectations.  So it can be done.

aye. Mad Max was the one exception where everything checked out so far.

I trust Villeneuve could pull it off but the big shit factors are Ridley Scott and the moneygivers innit.