oscillik

from what i can tell there was no reason for jared leto to care about finding the child born of a replicant or the father of a child of a replicant. what does that answer? nothing really.. and we're never really told. i think they realized that and then gave him some gay nonsense to utter in an attempt to obfuscate the lack of obvious motivation

lol what? he wants to study the genes in order to learn how to engineer procreative replicants. he literally delivers a speech about this

but why does he want that? sheer curiosity? or to get more power? or to save humanity? the motivation for robin wright to NOT let replicants have children is clear, and the motivation for replicants to have their own children makes sense from a freedom / identity POV, but i guess i still didn't get the antagonist's interest in it beyond I would like to know. thanks for the help- pm to chat

Just saw this today. There were three people in the theatre, including me.

Like oscillik, I was extremely wary of this film when it was first announced. I thought the whole thing was a recipe for disaster - an unnecessary follow-up to a film that for me, is a sort of holy grail. I didn’t like the casting. The thought that the studio would just make a mockery of the original.

I am more than happy to be proved completely wrong. This film was utterly stunning from beginning to end. The sets, visuals, design etc was incredible. The acting was superb - even Jared Leto wasn’t too bad. Small screen time probably helped there. The technology was cool, the story was well-written, intelligent and thought-provoking. It didn’t feel like nearly three hours, at least for me. A total immersive world brought to life on screen. Absolutely amazing. This is a film I will want to watch over and over again.

I think the reason I like it so much was simply this: The people who created this film totally understood what made the original so good.

I only really had two issues with the film. The first, really minor I guess. The world they envisioned in 2049 didn’t seem ‘lived in’ compared to the original where there were really old, ruined buildings, piles of refuse etc. It made it all seem very believable. I’m thinking about the litter blowing along the streets, neon signs working intermittently, the grimy elevator in Deckard’s building, Pris covering herself in newspapers while waiting for Sebastian and the closing section in the original where Roy is chasing Deckard through dilapidated, rotten buildings with water dripping everywhere.

In 2049, the world of Los Angeles seemed sleek, angular and clean in a CGI way that I didn’t believe in. It felt like all the signs of human habitation had been brushed away. That’s a sobering thought if the future does indeed play out that way. The future portrayed in the world of 2049 is truly horrifying to me. Where is everyone?

The second (more problematic issue) was the soundtrack. Within the confines of the movie, it was okay ( but as a stand-alone work that you would want to listen to in the same way fans still enjoy the Vangelis work from 1982), Hans Zimmer’s score was lazy and unimaginative. When you look back at truly epic films from decades past, Ben Hur, Lawrence Of Arabia, Ryan’s Daughter, E.T, Star Wars and many, many others; they had a film score that was so truly wonderful, it could survive without the film and exist on its own for decades.

A film as beautiful and memorable as Blade Runner 2049 deserved something far, far better, in my opinion.

Overall, a stunning achievement. 9/10 for me.

Where's my 4K Blu-ray?

from what i can tell there was no reason for jared leto to care about finding the child born of a replicant or the father of a child of a replicant. what does that answer? nothing really.. and we're never really told. i think they realized that and then gave him some gay nonsense to utter in an attempt to obfuscate the lack of obvious motivation

lol what? he wants to study the genes in order to learn how to engineer procreative replicants. he literally delivers a speech about this

but why does he want that? sheer curiosity? or to get more power? or to save humanity? the motivation for robin wright to NOT let replicants have children is clear, and the motivation for replicants to have their own children makes sense from a freedom / identity POV, but i guess i still didn't get the antagonist's interest in it beyond I would like to know. thanks for the help- pm to chat

d-lo wtf. if they can procreate he exponentially increases the amount of replicants he owns. he delivers an entire speech about the great leaps in civilization built on the backs of slaves but he can only manufacture so many one at a time. he's the bad guy

he wanted to create replicants that would be same as humans /out of arrogance/, cause he'd be 'like' god. he showed that with mentioning paradise (his place/house/flat), angels (replicants),... but he just ain't as smart and competent as eldon tyrell was, 30 yrs before him. uuuu...sad story ; _ :

but even if he did found the child he'd still only back-engineered the process; tyrell would still be the man and he'd still be only a copy-cat

This image is pretty popular when you google Bladerunner 2049. I saw it also in some of the previews and early reviews and yet I don't recall seeing it in the film.

blade-runner-2049-movie-image.jpg

This image is pretty popular when you google Bladerunner 2049. I saw it also in some of the previews and early reviews and yet I don't recall seeing it in the film.

That scene was in the film, but it was very different - much darker.

d-lo wtf. if they can procreate he exponentially increases the amount of replicants he owns. he delivers an entire speech about the great leaps in civilization built on the backs of slaves but he can only manufacture so many one at a time. he's the bad guy

what are we in a robert mckee seminar? character motivation? is that what matters? you watch blade runner because it looks cool goddamn what is there to explain

what are we in a robert mckee seminar? character motivation? is that what matters? you watch blade runner because it looks cool goddamn what is there to explain

lol i completely agree with you. i initially intended “he’s the bad guy” to be my only response but it’s been a while and i forgot how to post. i’m Sorry

So did the daughter know who and what she was?

I'm still wondering if Deckard knows what he really is, bc that was still purposely left ambiguous.  What was so brilliant about the script, is it works either way.

What purpose did these coastal dam type things serve? Protect against sea level rise?

To be fair to dr lolpez™ Wallace's prose is hard to follow due to it being delivered in an impression of Chris Walken with whiplash. I wouldn't blame the pompous writing at all because that's who the character is, 99% of actors would have made that sound coherent.

Having said that, I saw it again last night and fully knowing the plot it was like watching a different movie, but one that is just as good.

Surpassed all expectations, great film except way too long. Harrison Ford actually turned in a decent performance, for the first time ever imo. Where did he pull that from, and why now?

Harrison Ford was great in pretty woman.

Surpassed all expectations, great film except way too long. Harrison Ford actually turned in a decent performance, for the first time ever imo. Where did he pull that from, and why now?

Harrison Ford was great in pretty woman.

in notting hill too

What purpose did these coastal dam type things serve? Protect against sea level rise?

they just build it for the beauty

Probably just a promo image. Looks rather posed, and I don't remember a shot in the actual film that was anything like that one (obviously yes the scene was in the film), but a shot like that doesn't seem to fit the general tone of the rest of that scene so I'd guess it's not an outtake.

Speaking of, I'm curious if there'll be much in the way of extended scenes or cut content. The movie certainly doesn't need 'more' imo but I'm curious what else (if anything) was going to be in the film but got cut or changed. I doubt it'll ever see the light of day but I'd love to hear what Johansson was going to do with the score, even just his demos or sketches, assuming he even got that far in the process.

Yes, LA was now below sea level, the snow falling in California was also a hint that climate change had gone amok after the "ecosystems collapsed" in the 2020s.

Probably just a promo image. Looks rather posed, and I don't remember a shot in the actual film that was anything like that one (obviously yes the scene was in the film), but a shot like that doesn't seem to fit the general tone of the rest of that scene so I'd guess it's not an outtake.

Speaking of, I'm curious if there'll be much in the way of extended scenes or cut content. The movie certainly doesn't need 'more' imo but I'm curious what else (if anything) was going to be in the film but got cut or changed. I doubt it'll ever see the light of day but I'd love to hear what Johansson was going to do with the score, even just his demos or sketches, assuming he even got that far in the process.

The Now Playing podcast pointed out there is no title card when entering Las Vegas, although every other location in the film has one, like WB panicked and took that out last minute after the shooting, so maybe that will get put back in on home video releases. I don't believe they said the words "Las Vegas" at all either, did they?

Spoilered, just in case:

This was a cut scene where in the aftermath of their fight with Luv, K gives Deckard his coat prior to leaving to see Deckard's daughter.

The Now Playing podcast pointed out there is no title card when entering Las Vegas, although every other location in the film has one, like WB panicked and took that out last minute after the shooting, so maybe that will get put back in on home video releases. I don't believe they said the words "Las Vegas" at all either, did they?

It says Las Vegas on the screen luv looks at in robin wrights office when she’s tracking k