oscillik

this is a pretty bad movie and I'd love someone to convince me I'm wrong.  there are interesting ingredients:  sound design, some of the lighting and scene stuff, maybe two acting moments.  it's pretty.  it does not make a good movie.

it feels sterile, and the soundtrack is boring and apes vangelis hard, but in a boring way.  this is like star wars ep7 all over again where a massive crew of people attempt tirelessly to capture old magic, and instead make lifeless ingredients which amount to an uncomfortable echo.

shame on me I guess for re-watching the original last week and re-reading the book too.  at least that was enjoyable

I'd be interested in hearing what you'd say is a really good movie. I'm not being trite. Genuinely interested because for me, this movie is probably the best I've seen this decade.

Same here.

this is a pretty bad movie and I'd love someone to convince me I'm wrong.  there are interesting ingredients:  sound design, some of the lighting and scene stuff, maybe two acting moments.  it's pretty.  it does not make a good movie.

it feels sterile, and the soundtrack is boring and apes vangelis hard, but in a boring way.  this is like star wars ep7 all over again where a massive crew of people attempt tirelessly to capture old magic, and instead make lifeless ingredients which amount to an uncomfortable echo.

shame on me I guess for re-watching the original last week and re-reading the book too.  at least that was enjoyable

The soundtrack is generally weak and does ape Vangelis, and often in a boring way.

It was nothing like Star Wars Ep7 in the ways you described or really in any ways except it was a sequel to a movie from years ago. Comparing the two isn't much more useful than comparing BR2049 to Scooby Doo. IMHO, of course. Describing SW as having 'that old magic' is a little worrying to me in regards to your opinion, though ;)

Yeah, the PKD book is okay, but honestly I'd prefer watching either of the BR movies generally. A lot more mood in both, where the book is mired by its kitschy ideas. The BR's version of that 'universe' is much more interesting to visit imo.

this is a pretty bad movie and I'd love someone to convince me I'm wrong. there are interesting ingredients: sound design, some of the lighting and scene stuff, maybe two acting moments. it's pretty. it does not make a good movie.

it feels sterile, and the soundtrack is boring and apes vangelis hard, but in a boring way. this is like star wars ep7 all over again where a massive crew of people attempt tirelessly to capture old magic, and instead make lifeless ingredients which amount to an uncomfortable echo.

shame on me I guess for re-watching the original last week and re-reading the book too. at least that was enjoyable

I'd be interested in hearing what you'd say is a really good movie. I'm not being trite. Genuinely interested because for me, this movie is probably the best I've seen this decade.

I really liked it but best film of the decade?! It's not even the best I've seen this month! (mother!)

that 150 mil budget figure doesn't cover marketing costs which can be pretty huge, that's why it's seen as a failure i guess.

I read before that the budget was 150-185 mil, but everywhere I read now says 150 only? I imagine that 185 included marketing etc.

Or maybe that figure was just an estimate and the 150 is known to be actual now?

I wanna say that I've heard before that marketing is figured in to overall budgets generally, but I certainly could be misremembering or just plain wrong. The same point still stands even if the numbers are off, a lot of shit I've seen over the years is that if a film doesn't make like 2-10 times what was spent on it, it ain't worth it to many investors or producers or whoever. Just always struck me as strange.

that 150 mil budget figure doesn't cover marketing costs which can be pretty huge, that's why it's seen as a failure i guess.

also, half of the budget was just ford's salary probably.

Bladerunner 2049 will undoubtedly make its money back eventually. The problem is that studios and investors want that money now, not two or three years down the road.

When you consider how Hollywood works now - endless comic book movies, (conveniently) expanded universes for every concievable intellectual property, millions flocking to see an emoji movie, it's nothing sort of a miracle in itself that Blade Runner 2049 ever got made and turned out to be so magnificent. 

thats a really good point, it is something totally extraordinary for our current conditions in hollywood, and actually makes me optimistic that at least great art can still survive in the major studios in the right circumstances. i have to say i was left with a sense of wonder and awe when the credits started, with the feeling of being swept off my feet and thinking "what did i just experience??... and at a popular harkins theater in my city's college town of all places?? with ryan gossling as the star... It didn't feel quite real. we're very privileged to be able to see something like this in a theater in 2017. of course blade runner is one of a kind, and a unique example of sci fi that's done so tastefully and artistically and with a cult following, but with nothing indie or small time about it. despite any shortcomings people have mentioned (and i kind of agree with the aspect of the forgettable villain roles like the one jared leto played and maybe how the score was holding back quite a bit musically)- however regarding the soundtrack, i think it was perfectly fitting. it would seem a little bit pretentious and wouldnt do the franchise justice imo to come up with new musical themes and motifs. instead, it paid homage to the original by revisiting some of the key moments in a beautiful and simple manner (toward the end) and relied more on the atmospheres and sound design, keeping it melodically minimal. and man, those pitch bending synth riffs... they were like screaming banshees reverberating past endless reservoirs and alleyways of the city's edges. almost chilling. just amazing. 

Just got home after a 6 hour bike ride and I booked myself a ticket for this tomorrow at waterloo Imax at 10.30 am (why did I do that?), and I just can't be fucking arsed with going. I just might go down the pub instead...Everyone I know reckons its terrible lol (but then they have major awful tastes in music and film.....)

Major dilemma incoming

yeah do it.. i was on the fence myself as i hadnt had dinner beforehand and didnt want nachos or popcorn to be my only options so i grabbed some food nearby. the order was taking forever and was already missing the previews and was considering seeing something that started a little later so i didn't have to rush eating. but i went for it anyway im glad i did. totally worth it--indigestion and all! 

i went to see it last night and i rather liked it. wasn't expecting to feel Ryan Gosling in the role, but hes grown on me, and he did a good job.

i liked the casting of all the cast, including Jared Leto who did a nice turn of channeling Tyrell I think. Sylvia Hoas was great! Non plussed by Ana de Armas who came over a little too anime for me, but it worked as part of the aesthetic. Taling of which I liked but wasn't quite grimy enough for me, not sure about the Kubrickian Las Vegas girls.

Anyway, as a huge fan of the original I'm bound to be hard to please. I'm going to rewatch it and think about it more... 7.5/10

it worked as part of the aesthetic.

I personally think the actors work within the confines of their characters all was solid when viewed as such, though some actors did stand out, Sylvia Hoeks in particular, as you pointed out.

BUT OKAY

so I have two things:

1) was anyone else as distracted as me by Goslings fucked up eyes? One is like a half inch lower than the other and I couldn't stop staring at it.

2) what kind of dog did Deckard have? Not like, was it real or not like they asked (lovely little exchange there symbolizing the Deckard-himself-replicant? question), but what breed of dog was it? It looked lovely and friendly.

I personally think the actors work within the confines of their characters all was solid when viewed as such, though some actors did stand out, Sylvia Hoeks in particular, as you pointed out.

BUT OKAY

so I have two things:

1) was anyone else as distracted as me by Goslings fucked up eyes? One is like a half inch lower than the other and I couldn't stop staring at it.

2) what kind of dog did Deckard have? Not like, was it real or not like they asked (lovely little exchange there symbolizing the Deckard-himself-replicant? question), but what breed of dog was it? It looked lovely and friendly.

Gozzla's eyes are also too close together, which means he's inherently untrustworthy

BUT OKAY

so I have two things:

Like Deckard said, "Why don't you ask him?"  

Just seen it. Kinda liked it. Most of all because of the ambition. My biggest gripe with it is actually kind of stupid. It's that it tries too hard to be a blade runner movie. Again, stupid, I know. But it kept me from viewing the movie as it is. And not only did it continuously ask to be compared with the original, imo. It also asked to be compared with other influences. Like Kubrick. Couldn't help but think that Villeneuve's ambition was to attempt to combine the Blade Runner world with Kubricks cinematography.

Lots of craftsmanship went into it, but in the end I mostly wished Villeneuve put his ambitions in creating something new instead of remixing the past.

Leto wasn't as bad as I feared. And Hoeks was wonderful, like already said. Gosling was meh, but in a way which suited the role. Ford was mostly being Ford, imo. 

I missed Rutger Hauer, I guess. :/

Never seen Gosling in a movie I liked before, but I thought he was perfect for the part here. And yeah, Hoeks did an amazing job, I felt plenty of compassion towards a character that could have been pure evil in someone else's hands.

Despite the protracted drowning scene I even found myself wanting to believe she wasn't 100% definitely dead yet.

Probably going to watch this at least a third time before it disappears out of rotation.

im the best one was the best part

That made me  :facepalm:

They couldn't have fit in a better line? Or no line at all? Who the hell okayed that?

I don't know, must have been someone who realized it fit the character to a T.

Was this person also a three year old?