oscillik

So what would everyone cut from the film to make it less arse numbingly long? Be brutal.

I think I'd probably ditch most/all of the romantic holo-girl subplot. The tech didn't really feel like it fit with the rest of the world they'd created, and of all the future-gubbins portrayed in the film I feel that's what we'll be lolling when (if) we get to 2049 (not that that really matters).

So what would everyone cut from the film to make it less arse numbingly long? Be brutal.

I think I'd probably ditch most/all of the romantic holo-girl subplot. The tech didn't really feel like it fit with the rest of the world they'd created, and of all the future-gubbins portrayed in the film I feel that's what we'll be lolling when (if) we get to 2049 (not that that really matters).

Cut? I'm hoping there's an even longer version out there somewhere. 

Seriously though, I guess you could cut some of it but why would you want to?

Entertainment Weekly has a writeup on how they made Rachel in CG for the movie. I must say, I was convinced:

http://ew.com/movies/blade-runner-2049-rachael-sean-young-cameo/the-original-rachael-from-blade-runner-sean-young

There's a really detailed one here, too. Obviously a bit more complicated that running a few adjustment layers in PS.

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/10/blade-runner-2049-vfx-replicant-sean-young-rachael-1201889072/

Basically all the Vegas shit could be cut. The replicant uprising subplot is kind of terrible. I want a five hour cut just following gosling around la, dialogue free.

yeah that replicant uprising bit was a bit off. 'You're the chosen one! Oh, um, actually you're not."

I did love that idea that K thought the memory was real and came to realise that he wasn't the hero of the story, (although ironically at the end, it turns out he is). The audience follows along in that belief too until both him and the audience are wrong-footed by the clever plot-twist.

Edited by fumi

Yeah I like that too. If there was a way to get there without tying it into deckard I’d be happier.

The first like fifteen or so minutes are flawless but the script definitely drags in places. I basically hate everything about Wallace but that plot gives us luv, who may be the most interesting character in the movie. If there was a way to ground the film entirely in k’s personal experience and not have it relate back to this epic sequel plot the movie would probably be stronger.

Yeah I like that too. If there was a way to get there without tying it into deckard I’d be happier.

The first like fifteen or so minutes are flawless but the script definitely drags in places. I basically hate everything about Wallace but that plot gives us luv, who may be the most interesting character in the movie. If there was a way to ground the film entirely in k’s personal experience and not have it relate back to this epic sequel plot the movie would probably be stronger.

I thought Leto was a lot better than I'd imagined. Seeing it a third time, when you get chance to really concentrate on his lines and performance, it's actually more subtle (big surprise as I don't care for Jared Leto much as an actor). The first time I saw it, I was like wtf are you babbling about?

The way he shifts his head as a blind person is really compelling and yet uncomfortable too. 

Edited by fumi

The audience follows along in that belief too until both him and the audience are wrong-footed by the clever plot-twist.

how come? i thought that that was pretty much given away with the way the memory woman reacted after viewing his memory. i remember that she really emphasized that the memory was "someone's" and mentioned that it is possible, though illegal, to transfer real memories. that left a pretty big hint to the audience that the memory might not be necessarily k's. it was a very predictable twist.

Edited by eugene

It didn't seem too long to me. It cruised right by on a cloud of lush. The scene with the Elvis hologram didn't seem as iconic as the director probably thought it was but overall I just can't knock this movie too much. It done good. 

Wallace Corporation start-up chime.

It's actually an excerpt from "Peter and the Wolf" a famous Children's Symphony from 1930s Russia.

obviously- did you have a childhood?? Edited by dr lopez

Yeah cut, because it's about an hour too long. I did enjoy it but I know I'll never watch it again, it's too bloated.

It's actually an excerpt from "Peter and the Wolf" a famous Children's Symphony from 1930s Russia.

obviously- did you have a childhood??

Lol

The broken hologram singer in Las Vegas. It's actually "Elvis Presley", a famous American cultural icon from the 20th century.

seen it twice now and it was better the second time. still some missteps that seem easily avoidable given how good the good parts work. hilarious that a big complaint on here is less romantic subplot lol. i already have a uhd blu ray player at home but no 4k big tv so this might be a reason for an upgrade hehe. always need justification for gross unnecessary consumption of consumer electronics

Yeah cut, because it's about an hour too long. I did enjoy it but I know I'll never watch it again, it's too bloated.

no. it's about an hour too short

Lol I didn't want to be that blunt, but I remember playing that record a lot as a kid.

Lol I didn't want to be that blunt, but I remember playing that record a lot as a kid.

I had to look it up.....

edit: I'm a terrible example of remembering AND childhood though, so there's that.

Edited by Bulk VanderHooj

Romantic subplot is pretty affecting, especially at the beginning, though you could probably reduce it in "invisible companion" scenes - the technology of a magic stick inside a pocket that somehow contains an external observer is very far-fetched and too big of a step from the initial cool mechanoid version.

I would cut everything from Las Vegas meeting to the final battle and find a less plot twists galore way of tying it up, i think it destroys the whole mood and makes you think rationally about the events, and the movie doesn't hold up at all in my view.