oscillik

animated blade runner could be so good, the design detail unlimited, the aesthetics unhinged, the futurism and scenery transcendental

and instead it looks like a early 2008 video game

Edited by ilqx hermolia xpli
  • Like 1
  • Burger 1

On 7/24/2021 at 2:01 PM, ilqx hermolia xpli said:

animated blade runner could be so good, the design detail unlimited, the aesthetics unhinged, the futurism and scenery transcendental

and instead it looks like a early 2008 video game

i thought it was a video game. that's a preview for an animated series?? wtf. 

KBznEG2.jpg

• 6 months later...

Ok, I'd rather have some weird shit from the senile old fart. That animated show is the worst thing of all time.

• 4 months later...

Among the central themes is Joi's authenticity and consciousness.  Is she merely programmed to behave as she did, or was she able to transcend her own programming and become something more?  In Star Trek TNG the answer to whether Data was a sentient being deserving of rights and respect was a foregone conclusion only challenged by entrenched authorities, with Picard realizing this a bit late but defending Data throughout the series regardless.

WIth Joi, both her form of labor and her gender serve to dehumanize her and bring about a larger dilemma among audiences.  Her being essentially an emotional prostitute slave lets male audiences project misogynistic tropes onto her, attacking the sex worker for her inauthenticity while simultaneously blind to the male's and thereby by proxy their own inauthenticity as illegitimate procurers of love through payment, in this case payment to someone else than the sex worker entirely, the corporation that manufactured Joi. 

This question is most starkly brought into question in the scene with the large Joi advertisement where she has a brief interaction with a previous male Joi customer, bringing him to, in the mind of the viewers, either doubt Joi's authenticity by concluding that her behaviors were merely programmed, or affirm her authenticity and in fact viewing her as both an idol and role model of free will and taking control of one's own destiny. 

What ever conclusion a viewer makes needs to take Joi's gender, sex worker, and slave status into account when pondering her sentience and to avoid unconscious biases from leading the viewer to make conclusions directly in contrast to Roy Batty's "Tears In The Rain" speech, which affirmed his humanity despite his manufactured status.

Roy Batty wasn’t a hologram, he wasn’t digital nor mechanical at all (at least not in the movie) and he behaved against the creator’s intent so it was much easier to assume he had consciousness and free will.
Joi did everything she was designed for.

you should rather compare Roy to Joe

Edited by xox

26 minutes ago, xox said:

Roy Batty wasn’t a hologram, he wasn’t digital nor mechanical at all (at least not in the movie) and he behaved against the creator’s intent so it was much easier to assume he had consciousness and free will.
Joi did everything she was designed for

He was manufactured and most like him did exactly what they were designed to do.  But he transcended his creators' wishes and rebelled, becoming something greater.  That's exactly what Joi did and yet you are quick to make the same conclusions against Joi as you make conversely in favor of Roy.

You're also placing undo credit for intent and intelligence into the minds of her creators.  Putting them into a superhuman position where they can simply spawn off the beginnings of an industrial manufacturing process and receive in the end credit for everything, even the very life cycle and existence of the artificial beings they created.  Where is your evidence that she was doing what her creators had in mind?  Where is your evidence that they truly understood everything their own creations could do in the future, or what it's like to be them from the inside?  Quite big claims, with little evidence.

It's clear she grew, learned, and underwent personal development throughout the course of the movie.  And you didn't fully address my overall claim anyway: are you willing to declare Data is also just a non-sentient machine doing nothing more than what his creator intended?  Because you have to if that's what you're claiming for Joi

Edited by ilqx hermolia xpli

1dd02aeb3f0ad0bbd7e0146200665c0b1780340e

All that is solid melts into air, all that is holy is profaned, & man is at last compelled to face with sober senses his real conditions of life, & his relations with his kind. The need of a constantly expanding market for its products chases the bourgeoisie over the entire surface of the globe.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ilqx hermolia xpli said:

This question is most starkly brought into question in the scene with the large Joi advertisement where she has a brief interaction with a previous male Joi customer, bringing him to, in the mind of the viewers, either doubt Joi's authenticity by concluding that her behaviors were merely programmed, or affirm her authenticity and in fact viewing her as both an idol and role model of free will and taking control of one's own destiny. 

The former. Joi is merely an agent for consumerism. It's the epitome of targeted advertising by getting into the male brain (and heart) through his greatest weakness. She is meticulously programmed; throughout the BR2049 you can see how she instantly responds to the emotions of K (mirroring), and when her return functions and routines calculate a false, or null data, she tries to appease by suggestions, a combination of pre-configuration, and "learned" behavior. She's a damn computer avatar, she can instantiate into anything, many times a second. The movie plot has an interesting setup, though it is a bit superficial. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, cichlisuite said:

The former. Joi is merely an agent for consumerism. It's the epitome of targeted advertising by getting into the male brain (and heart) through his greatest weakness. She is meticulously programmed; throughout the BR2049 you can see how she instantly responds to the emotions of K (mirroring), and when her return functions and routines calculate a false, or null data, she tries to appease by suggestions, a combination of pre-configuration, and "learned" behavior. She's a damn computer avatar, she can instantiate into anything, many times a second. The movie plot has an interesting setup, though it is a bit superficial. 

Humans do all of this same stuff too and humans can also be manufactured products, I don't think that takes away their sentience

hologram of sean slowly shaking his head

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i think, to me, what would be cool is if there was a series in the style of blade runner 2049 with no plot. and i mean NO plot. each episode is just like wandering around, maybe some stuff happens, maybe not. episodes are like 90 mins. 

Edited by Alcofribas
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Alcofribas said:

i think, to me, what would be cool is if there was a series in the style of blade runner 2049 with no plot. and i mean NO plot. each episode is just like wandering around, maybe some stuff happens, maybe not. episodes are like 90 mins. 

pure ambient TV.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Alcofribas said:

a Too Old To Die Young for the BR universe (well, not quite). I would be into it.

Edited by usagi
  • Like 1