IGNORED

Southern Rap Sucks So Bad

autopilot

I've been living in Atlanta for 2 months and I'm already sick of this shit.

Lil Wayne, Gucci Mayne, and the thousands of other wannabees vomitting autotuned, lazy, unintelligible vowels over an 808 beat need to fuck off forever.

Get this shit off my stereo.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why was it necessary to make a topic for this? Yes, Atlanta rap, like most other rap not made for white people (MF Doom, Odd Future, Deltron 3030, Dr. Octagon, etc.) or listened to primarily by white people (Tribe Called Quest, Biz Markie, Beastie Boys, Sugar Hill Gang, etc.) can be vapid and pop-ish. You don't have to love it, and you don't have to endorse what it stands for, but it's not necessary to whine about it. No one will ever force you to listen to it, no matter what you might think.

I listen to almost all types of hip-hop except southern rap... the lazy drawled swing shuffle to the delivery gets REALLY fucking old after a while. I prefer me some east-coast and mid-west underground raps

Why was it necessary to make a topic for this? Yes, Atlanta rap, like most other rap not made for white people (MF Doom, Odd Future, Deltron 3030, Dr. Octagon, etc.) or listened to primarily by white people (Tribe Called Quest, Biz Markie, Beastie Boys, Sugar Hill Gang, etc.) can be vapid and pop-ish. You don't have to love it, and you don't have to endorse what it stands for, but it's not necessary to whine about it. No one will ever force you to listen to it, no matter what you might think.

Nothing ever posted on WATMM is necessary...I just feel like venting.

My current situation is that, if I don't want to listen to music on Youtube with laptop speakers, I have to listen to the radio. At work it's radio all the time. The stations here are 50% country and 50% Lil Wayne-alikes.

I listen to almost all types of hip-hop except southern rap... the lazy drawled swing shuffle to the delivery gets REALLY fucking old after a while. I prefer me some east-coast and mid-west underground raps

Lazy is definitely the word I'd use. The words are slow, the rhymes virtually non-existent, the songs say nothing, and the grating repetition is basically just:

One Two Three (THREE), One Two Three (THREE), One Two Three (THREE), One Two Three (THREE)

Deltron would call it a low velocity verbal atrocity.

I too am a fan of Hip Hop... I listen to it as much if not more than electronic music. And Dirty South stuff I happen to like a lot... especially the older stuff. not much into the autotuned stuff of today.

plus its not as bad as juke.

Word on the Strengph G!

Guest FNormality

Throw down some Outkast and all will be better.

you should check out Big KRIT. best southern rap next to outkast imo. produces his own tracks too, which is cool.

[youtubehd]kWVIo95JoKI[/youtubehd]

[youtubehd]Nu9Auk6Rz3Y[/youtubehd]

you can download his most recent album for free here: http://www.datpiff.c...ape.213542.html

Guest Coalbucket PI

Black people need their own specially formulated low-brow art now? They couldn't possibly contemplate something as complicated and intellectual as Biz Markie making funny burpy noises.

I don't really like much souther rap but I do like Geto Boys and UGK and I'm afraid to say sometimes Lil Wayne is alright in small doses. As I read in some article recently it's fun to listen out for him making a really weak bit of wordplay and sounding really proud of himself for it

Outkast is definitely good. I was more complaining about the current scene as it is on the radio & clubs.

People playing the race card is funny to me...it'd be like if a black man said Transformers 3 was stupid and some people defended it saying "It's made for stupid middle class white kids, not you!"