IGNORED

Southern Rap Sucks So Bad

autopilot

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this isn't southern rap, but gotta say this is one of the few tracks ive heard on the radio that i still think is badass

[youtubehd]biyG45ZxhZ4[/youtubehd]

Black people need their own specially formulated low-brow art now? They couldn't possibly contemplate something as complicated and intellectual as Biz Markie making funny burpy noises.

Hardly. I don't believe that black people can only listen to low-brow music, and I never tried to say such a thing. I didn't say that out of racial prejudice, I am just very frustrated recently, with being surrounded by white college students IRL who listen to nothing but Tribe Called Quest and Biz Markie, and people on the internet who will go on for pages about how great MF Doom is. Biz Markie is no great intellectual in the field of rap or hard to comprehend. Also, sorry, "made for white people" is bad wording. It just feels like that after you hear a bunch of white skater kids praise the hell out of Odd Future, and proceed to complain about how 90% of rap is stupid and worthless.

Also, I do not think of southern rap as "low-brow." There is quite a lot of intelligent southern rap, as has been mentioned in this thread, and I do not think it should be panned as a whole. I happen to also quite like stuff like Gucci Mayne though, so I am not one who needs to be constantly intellectually stimulated I guess. I mean, the way it's kind sounding to me is that you're saying that black people who do listen to southern rap and not MF Doom or w/e the fuck, are low-brow, because they can listen to intellectual rap as it is indeed for black people too.

idk. not trying to twist your words against you or accuse you of being racist, so feel free to ignore that last sentence.

Black people need their own specially formulated low-brow art now? They couldn't possibly contemplate something as complicated and intellectual as Biz Markie making funny burpy noises.

Hardly. I don't believe that black people can only listen to low-brow music, and I never tried to say such a thing. I didn't say that out of racial prejudice, I am just very frustrated recently, with being surrounded by white college students IRL who listen to nothing but Tribe Called Quest and Biz Markie, and people on the internet who will go on for pages about how great MF Doom is. Biz Markie is no great intellectual in the field of rap or hard to comprehend. Also, sorry, "made for white people" is bad wording. It just feels like that after you hear a bunch of white skater kids praise the hell out of Odd Future, and proceed to complain about how 90% of rap is stupid and worthless.

Also, I do not think of southern rap as "low-brow." There is quite a lot of intelligent southern rap, as has been mentioned in this thread, and I do not think it should be panned as a whole. I happen to also quite like stuff like Gucci Mayne though, so I am not one who needs to be constantly intellectually stimulated I guess. I mean, the way it's kind sounding to me is that you're saying that black people who do listen to southern rap and not MF Doom or w/e the fuck, are low-brow, because they can listen to intellectual rap as it is indeed for black people too.

idk. not trying to twist your words against you or accuse you of being racist, so feel free to ignore that last sentence.

I get where you're coming from here.

Like, this, I love this song, it's not brilliant or anything, but the production is good, the rappings alright, and it's about fucking tuning your ride, a fairly universal working-class concept (ohh that sounded a tad too academic). It's also a cool video (worth the shitty 15 sec ad) Yet this could easily be labeled as crappy Southern Top 40 Hip-Hop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pudIZbCRq_c

There's a lot of terrible mainstream rap and club music and likewise a lot of rather lame indie/underground hip-hop as well. Let's not forget a lot of rock, country, and even electronic music is absolute garbage...yet many of the people who listen to those broad genres bash hip-hop as a whole, and vice-versa, often with stereotypical or even racist overtones.

Edited by joshuatxuk

lol

aside from everything else, doom was in the less "white-friendly" KMD way before he donned the mask...and i seriously doubt he sits down to write rhymes with only white people in mind (same goes for del and kool keith. and odd future even more so)

to say that these acts are more popular among white people is probably a more accurate, less retarded statement.

And on the flip side of the coin, I used to work with a black guy who's favorite rapper was Eminem. He wasn't joking.

Guest nene multiple assgasms

I get where you're coming from here.

Like, this, I love this song, it's not brilliant or anything, but the production is good, the rappings alright, and it's about fucking tuning your ride, a fairly universal working-class concept (ohh that sounded a tad too academic). It's also a cool video (worth the shitty 15 sec ad) Yet this could easily be labeled as crappy Southern Top 40 Hip-Hop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pudIZbCRq_c

There's a lot of terrible mainstream rap and club music and likewise a lot of rather lame indie/underground hip-hop as well. Let's not forget a lot of rock, country, and even electronic music is absolute garbage...yet many of the people who listen to those broad genres bash hip-hop as a whole, and vice-versa, often with stereotypical or even racist overtones.

I like parson's remix.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dqvswQlh1o

Guest Coalbucket PI

Hardly. I don't believe that black people can only listen to low-brow music, and I never tried to say such a thing. I didn't say that out of racial prejudice, I am just very frustrated recently, with being surrounded by white college students IRL who listen to nothing but Tribe Called Quest and Biz Markie, and people on the internet who will go on for pages about how great MF Doom is.  Biz Markie is no great intellectual in the field of rap or hard to comprehend. Also, sorry, "made for white people" is bad wording. It just feels like that after you hear a bunch of white skater kids praise the hell out of Odd Future, and proceed to complain about how 90% of rap is stupid and worthless.

Okay, well I took it that by separating the 'vapid' music from that which was made for/listened to by white people meant you were saying the vapid (which I suppose I translated to low-brow) music was therefore for the black people. Combined with you complaining that someone was even discussing this, and the list of music you think only white people are listening to made me think you might not know what you are talking about at all. But fair enough I think it all probably came from the way it was worded. I don't know how you came up with that bit at the end there so I'm just going to ignore you on that one.

• 4 weeks later...

Cee Lo was ill back in the day...also, Soul Food by Goodie Mob is a solid album

Actually, anyone associated with the Dungeon Family is amazing...Ghetto Street Funk is a classic.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

[youtubehd]aWDr3Ex8Yxg[/youtubehd]

[youtubehd]RUkmmQmlMlg[/youtubehd]

[youtubehd]pZ7sYqulKI0[/youtubehd]

if you don't like these, you don't like fun. all classics.

Edited by zaphod