Join WATMM Now!

Register and Subscribe now for as little 3.00 USD for one year to gain Supporting Member access. We also have other subscription packages to choose from that grant you extra abilities and features.

A subscription is required in order to post, reply to posts, start topics, search, and other features.

By joining and subscribing, you are helping support the forums, as well enable us to add new features and enhancements (and maintain them).

Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

To sign up for a subscription package, click your user name in the upper right, and choose "Client Area". Then, choose a package that suits your needs.

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Southern Rap Sucks So Bad

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#26 QBLA

QBLA

Formerly Known As Asymmetrical Head

• EKT Plus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,408 posts
  • 291 topics
  • Joined 16-November 05

Posted 19 August 2011 - 08:59 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmFX7Dc8IZo

Edited by asymmetrical head, 19 August 2011 - 09:01 AM.

#27 Oscar

Oscar

Professional Internet User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts
  • 16 topics
  • Joined 17-November 05

Posted 19 August 2011 - 09:13 AM

Came to post some Killer Mike for your white asses. Already beatin' to it.

#28 Guest_AcrossCanyons_*

Guest_AcrossCanyons_*
  • Guests
  • 172 topics
  • Joined --

Posted 19 August 2011 - 09:25 AM

#29 Guest_AcrossCanyons_*

Guest_AcrossCanyons_*
  • Guests
  • 51 topics
  • Joined --

Posted 19 August 2011 - 10:16 AM

one more from that album because it's amazing.

#30 Salvatorin

Salvatorin

Ebullience. Elegance.

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,582 posts
  • 156 topics
  • Joined 15-April 07
  • Interests:i lika pupies

Posted 19 August 2011 - 11:45 AM

It's all about the bass.

#31 vproc

vproc

1000 Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,399 posts
  • 92 topics
  • Joined 29-December 09
  • SoundCloud URL:https://soundcloud.com/styrfmnsbldprncs
  • Interests:Autechre, economics, mathematics, LSD, ketamine, corn dogs

Posted 19 August 2011 - 10:28 PM

If you hate southern hip hop, it's likely you've never heard UGK.

#32 SR4

SR4

2K, On My Way

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,607 posts
  • 123 topics
  • Joined 21-November 05

Posted 19 August 2011 - 10:39 PM

this isn't southern rap, but gotta say this is one of the few tracks ive heard on the radio that i still think is badass

[youtubehd]biyG45ZxhZ4[/youtubehd]

#33 ganus

ganus

professional ganus

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,423 posts
  • 12 topics
  • Joined 22-January 11
  • SoundCloud URL:https://soundcloud.com/sephamusic

Posted 20 August 2011 - 07:47 AM

Black people need their own specially formulated low-brow art now? They couldn't possibly contemplate something as complicated and intellectual as Biz Markie making funny burpy noises.

Hardly. I don't believe that black people can only listen to low-brow music, and I never tried to say such a thing. I didn't say that out of racial prejudice, I am just very frustrated recently, with being surrounded by white college students IRL who listen to nothing but Tribe Called Quest and Biz Markie, and people on the internet who will go on for pages about how great MF Doom is. Biz Markie is no great intellectual in the field of rap or hard to comprehend. Also, sorry, "made for white people" is bad wording. It just feels like that after you hear a bunch of white skater kids praise the hell out of Odd Future, and proceed to complain about how 90% of rap is stupid and worthless.

Also, I do not think of southern rap as "low-brow." There is quite a lot of intelligent southern rap, as has been mentioned in this thread, and I do not think it should be panned as a whole. I happen to also quite like stuff like Gucci Mayne though, so I am not one who needs to be constantly intellectually stimulated I guess. I mean, the way it's kind sounding to me is that you're saying that black people who do listen to southern rap and not MF Doom or w/e the fuck, are low-brow, because they can listen to intellectual rap as it is indeed for black people too.
idk. not trying to twist your words against you or accuse you of being racist, so feel free to ignore that last sentence.

#34 joshuatx

joshuatx

syrote

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,817 posts
  • 123 topics
  • Joined 22-April 08

Posted 23 August 2011 - 01:00 PM

Black people need their own specially formulated low-brow art now? They couldn't possibly contemplate something as complicated and intellectual as Biz Markie making funny burpy noises.

Hardly. I don't believe that black people can only listen to low-brow music, and I never tried to say such a thing. I didn't say that out of racial prejudice, I am just very frustrated recently, with being surrounded by white college students IRL who listen to nothing but Tribe Called Quest and Biz Markie, and people on the internet who will go on for pages about how great MF Doom is. Biz Markie is no great intellectual in the field of rap or hard to comprehend. Also, sorry, "made for white people" is bad wording. It just feels like that after you hear a bunch of white skater kids praise the hell out of Odd Future, and proceed to complain about how 90% of rap is stupid and worthless.

Also, I do not think of southern rap as "low-brow." There is quite a lot of intelligent southern rap, as has been mentioned in this thread, and I do not think it should be panned as a whole. I happen to also quite like stuff like Gucci Mayne though, so I am not one who needs to be constantly intellectually stimulated I guess. I mean, the way it's kind sounding to me is that you're saying that black people who do listen to southern rap and not MF Doom or w/e the fuck, are low-brow, because they can listen to intellectual rap as it is indeed for black people too.
idk. not trying to twist your words against you or accuse you of being racist, so feel free to ignore that last sentence.

I get where you're coming from here.

Like, this, I love this song, it's not brilliant or anything, but the production is good, the rappings alright, and it's about fucking tuning your ride, a fairly universal working-class concept (ohh that sounded a tad too academic). It's also a cool video (worth the shitty 15 sec ad) Yet this could easily be labeled as crappy Southern Top 40 Hip-Hop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pudIZbCRq_c

There's a lot of terrible mainstream rap and club music and likewise a lot of rather lame indie/underground hip-hop as well. Let's not forget a lot of rock, country, and even electronic music is absolute garbage...yet many of the people who listen to those broad genres bash hip-hop as a whole, and vice-versa, often with stereotypical or even racist overtones.

Edited by joshuatxuk, 23 August 2011 - 01:02 PM.

#35 Candiru

Candiru

▓▓▒▒♪▒▒▒♫&

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,975 posts
  • 273 topics
  • Joined 09-August 09

Posted 23 August 2011 - 02:45 PM

lol

aside from everything else, doom was in the less "white-friendly" KMD way before he donned the mask...and i seriously doubt he sits down to write rhymes with only white people in mind (same goes for del and kool keith. and odd future even more so)
to say that these acts are more popular among white people is probably a more accurate, less retarded statement.

And on the flip side of the coin, I used to work with a black guy who's favorite rapper was Eminem. He wasn't joking.

#36 Guest_nene multiple assgasms_*

Guest_nene multiple assgasms_*
  • Guests
  • 56 topics
  • Joined --

Posted 23 August 2011 - 04:47 PM

I get where you're coming from here.

Like, this, I love this song, it's not brilliant or anything, but the production is good, the rappings alright, and it's about fucking tuning your ride, a fairly universal working-class concept (ohh that sounded a tad too academic). It's also a cool video (worth the shitty 15 sec ad) Yet this could easily be labeled as crappy Southern Top 40 Hip-Hop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pudIZbCRq_c

There's a lot of terrible mainstream rap and club music and likewise a lot of rather lame indie/underground hip-hop as well. Let's not forget a lot of rock, country, and even electronic music is absolute garbage...yet many of the people who listen to those broad genres bash hip-hop as a whole, and vice-versa, often with stereotypical or even racist overtones.

I like parson's remix.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dqvswQlh1o

#37 joshuatx

joshuatx

syrote

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,817 posts
  • 76 topics
  • Joined 22-April 08

Posted 23 August 2011 - 11:51 PM

Yeah I like Parson, he's from my town :cool: I don't think he's making dubstep anymore though.

#38 Guest_Coalbucket PI_*

Guest_Coalbucket PI_*
  • Guests
  • 2 topics
  • Joined --

Posted 24 August 2011 - 03:32 AM

Hardly. I don't believe that black people can only listen to low-brow music, and I never tried to say such a thing. I didn't say that out of racial prejudice, I am just very frustrated recently, with being surrounded by white college students IRL who listen to nothing but Tribe Called Quest and Biz Markie, and people on the internet who will go on for pages about how great MF Doom is.  Biz Markie is no great intellectual in the field of rap or hard to comprehend. Also, sorry, "made for white people" is bad wording. It just feels like that after you hear a bunch of white skater kids praise the hell out of Odd Future, and proceed to complain about how 90% of rap is stupid and worthless.

Okay, well I took it that by separating the 'vapid' music from that which was made for/listened to by white people meant you were saying the vapid (which I suppose I translated to low-brow) music was therefore for the black people. Combined with you complaining that someone was even discussing this, and the list of music you think only white people are listening to made me think you might not know what you are talking about at all. But fair enough I think it all probably came from the way it was worded. I don't know how you came up with that bit at the end there so I'm just going to ignore you on that one.

#39 autopilot

autopilot

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,171 posts
  • 273 topics
  • Joined 16-November 05

Posted 20 September 2011 - 01:12 PM

#40 hardcode

hardcode

monkey see monkey do

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,398 posts
  • 172 topics
  • Joined 25-June 11
  • XBOX360:H3rb42o

Posted 20 September 2011 - 01:39 PM

enough

#41 Murveman

Murveman

Oh Dooky-kins!

• Restricted
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,844 posts
  • 172 topics
  • Joined 04-September 06

Posted 21 September 2011 - 10:14 AM

Deltron would call it a low velocity verbal atrocity.

Lol. I hope the second Deltron album comes out this year. I think it's pretty much done.

#42 Mr Ouija

Mr Ouija

Recently Joined

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 206 posts
  • 229 topics
  • Joined 02-March 10

Posted 21 September 2011 - 10:37 AM

Cee Lo was ill back in the day...also, Soul Food by Goodie Mob is a solid album

Actually, anyone associated with the Dungeon Family is amazing...Ghetto Street Funk is a classic.

#43 autopilot

autopilot

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,171 posts
  • 59 topics
  • Joined 16-November 05

Posted 21 September 2011 - 08:10 PM

Cee-Lo's latest was fantastic, but that's not really even hip hop, let alone the crunk shit I started this thread complaining about.

#44 Salvatorin

Salvatorin

Ebullience. Elegance.

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,582 posts
  • Joined 15-April 07

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:23 AM

You can't say the old-skool tape trax like southside and all that aren't choons.

I mean big moe?

that memphis sound stuff

classix after classix

#45 Salvatorin

Salvatorin

Ebullience. Elegance.

• Knob Twiddlers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,582 posts
  • Joined 15-April 07

Posted 10 November 2013 - 12:41 AM

yet another track that proves that southern rap is tite

#46 Djeroek

Djeroek

Tenaga diam

• Supporting Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,595 posts
  • Joined 24-November 05
  • SoundCloud URL:https://xhamster

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:27 AM

yet another track that proves that southern rap is tite

lose the vocals, add massive reverb tail  to snares = vaporwave

#47 Guest_20XX_*

Guest_20XX_*
  • Guests
  • Joined --

Posted 10 November 2013 - 05:44 AM

that last track is dope as fuck

#48 Ivan Ooze

Ivan Ooze

i kill and eat everybody

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,982 posts
  • Joined 22-January 12
  • Interests:musick

Posted 10 November 2013 - 07:16 AM

lol

#49 Guest_M360_*

Guest_M360_*
  • Guests
  • Joined --

Posted 10 November 2013 - 09:02 AM

It's all "bad". You have to separate the weed from the chauv

#50 Guest_zaphod_*

Guest_zaphod_*
  • Guests
  • Joined --

Posted 10 November 2013 - 10:00 AM

[youtubehd]aWDr3Ex8Yxg[/youtubehd]

[youtubehd]RUkmmQmlMlg[/youtubehd]

[youtubehd]pZ7sYqulKI0[/youtubehd]

if you don't like these, you don't like fun. all classics.

Edited by zaphod, 10 November 2013 - 10:01 AM.