IGNORED

At What Point Will Hollywood Implode?

Guest hahathhat

Guest hahathhat

And by Hollywood, I mean "those huge companies like DreamWorks and LionsGate that keep churning out big-budget movies."

I hap'd upon this article while newsing my morning read:

"Fright Night," "Spy Kids 4," "Conan the Barbarian" battle for box office glory

(CBS/What's Trending) - "The Help" will need no help topping this week's box office. The real battle will be for the second spot between "Conan the Barbarian" and the still going strong "Rise of the Planet of the Apes," as well as the fourth place finisher, which will between two 3D newcomers "Fright Night" and "Spy Kids: All the Time in the World 4D." Disney's acclaimed "The Help" produced by Dreamworks looks to clean up at the box office this weekend with around $20 million. After debuting in the second spot last weekend the film has lead the midweek derby as great word-of-mouth continues to sweep the nation and build to a likely second weekend atop the chart and in the vicinity of $70 million by Sunday night. Here's where the competition heats up. Fox's late-summer hit "Rise of The Planet of the Apes" clung to the top rung at the box office for two consecutive weekends but in its third time out will likely take in about $16 million for a total through Sunday of around $130 million.

However, the apes will have to do battle with a barbarian named Conan for the second spot with Lionsgate's remake of the 1982 fantasy epic "Conan the Barbarian" updating the tale in 3-D and a worthy Jason Momo

you get the point. here is the link if you want the rest. now close the spoiler

http://www.cbsnews.c...6-10391715.html

So there is a goddamn re-make re-boot of Conan The Barbarian, now. In 3D. There will be sequels. Its main competition is a goddamn re-make of Planet of the Apes. And do I really need to comment on "Spy Kids 4"? You damn dirty producers. Myself, I am really looking forward to the re-make of Blade Runner.

These "big" films have eaten all the food in the fridge, all the canned goods, and even that last scary can of Manwich that's bulging with botulism. Then they still wanted more, so they began eating the formica countertop, then the walls. At this point, they are devouring the foundation beams that keep their penthouse apartment on the top floor. Someday, there will be a re-make of "The Graduate," and the movie that re-launched cinema in '67 will complete the circle and finish it off.

Drama aside: Can it go on like this? Will big-budget films continue to exist in their current form? Is Hollywood too big to fail?

It will continue as long as people buy tickets. what will eventually kill it: the rising cost of a movie ticket, which are already approaching the price of a DVD or legit digital DL of a movie. once those two prices meet then they are fucked.

Are they failing financially though? Crap like Transformers still makes tons of money no? They'll adapt their strategy when there's a need to do so. It's just business.

I don't really care to be honest. It's not too hard to avoid vulgar crap.

Guest hahathhat

It will continue as long as people buy tickets. what will eventually kill it: the rising cost of a movie ticket, which are already approaching the price of a DVD or legit digital DL of a movie. once those two prices meet then they are fucked.

3D-Imax costs $25. That's already more. I don't go to it often

LOL where the fuck do you live that it costs that much?

Any major city...

Fright Night actually looks really good.

although i agree with pretty much everything in the original post, i have to agree with this too. same writer as the original and the reviews are decent.

I paid $16 when I saw Avatar in IMAX 3D. But yeah, the rising ticket costs along with the ease of torrenting movies have convinced studios to go with tried-and-true formulas. Things that are guaranteed not to fail and to pay for all the Ferraris cocaine, sluts and hot pockets in the world. I think.

speakin of pirating if u guys believe strongly that hollywood should die and all these shitty movies should die dont EVER EVER EVER under any circumstance give them ur money. but when it comes to the stuff u like a lot buy several copies and go see it twice to support them and hopefully if enough ppl do this some day the good stuff will be the most successful

Fright Night actually looks really good.

although i agree with pretty much everything in the original post, i have to agree with this too. same writer as the original and the reviews are decent.

got my tix for 2nite :spiteful:

Guest Enter a new display name

It's because of the massive load of generic/average people who should be browsing the internet instead of forcing themselves to go to the movie theater every friday night.

Guest hahathhat

It's because of the massive load of generic/average people who should be browsing the internet instead of forcing themselves to go to the movie theater every friday night.

i agree.

Any major city...

You can do 3D for $14 here in KC...not that I've ever seen a 3D movie or even care to but my corny-ass in-laws go see these vapid offerings and then can't quit talking about how awesome it was

Yeah, costs 14 here too, which is still an absurd price. I miss the $1 movies!

Continuing my research I found that the bigger budget movies do especially well overseas, sometimes accounting for 60-70% of their total gross. So yeah, foreigners.

Guest hahathhat

what about the movie equivalent of a "disruptive technology"?

3D is obviously that sort of thing -- it gave big-budget films a boost. not sure if the boost will last, but if it does, it will deepen the divide between big-budget and small films, as indie filmsters won't have the bucks to go 3D. this, in turn would make the big films even more hermetic and prone to creative recycling.

Any major city...

You can do 3D for $14 here in KC...not that I've ever seen a 3D movie or even care to but my corny-ass in-laws go see these vapid offerings and then can't quit talking about how awesome it was

Yeah, costs 14 here too, which is still an absurd price. I miss the $1 movies!

Continuing my research I found that the bigger budget movies do especially well overseas, sometimes accounting for 60-70% of their total gross. So yeah, foreigners.

Regular 3D will run between $15-18 here in SF, depending on the theatre. If you want to do IMAX, I think it goes up another $5-10. When I was living in Boston, my friends wanted to go see the Dark Knight in IMAX, but I didn't want to pay the $25 or $30. That's just ridiculous.

i tried to see fright night last weekend in a non 3d theater and had to drive a half an hour out of my way to see it in a normal fashion. everything close to me was 3d only. jesus im so done with this gimmick

It's a strange time. Keep in mind that a lot of movies, plots and themes were recycled in old days...especially from the 20's-60's. 3D was a gimmick for awhile in the 50s and 60s too. There's a plethora of meh films with the classics.

I'm hoping independent films and new ideas form a new segment of the movie industry here and the blockbuster scene becomes smaller in terms of numbers of titles. The main problem is so many franchises and original screenplays get bought up and thrown in development hell and there's a final battle between theaters/dvds versus streaming media brewing.

Archived