IGNORED

Chiastic Slide

Guest Turncoat Indian

I think it's interesting how every ae fan likes vastly different stuff.

For me, the most interesting period was Envane through EP7, every one of those releases is gold for me.

I think Incunabula and Tri Rep are among their least interesting material, despite all the praise that they get (although I do love Amber). Confield grew on me but I'm still lost when it comes to Draft.

Jeez you're like my Autechre-twin or something, this is pretty much exactly what I think (although I think EP7 is a little hit and miss... but still has absolutely amazing stuff)

Interesting imagery, I agree this is ae's most visual album

I always wanted to see someone make a feature length animation with this as the score, it could be most excellent in the right hands

this is something I really wanna do... take my favourite albums and animate films to them. Especially Autechre. I tend to picture CGI for Autechre though, and I'm a classical animator so I think it's unlikely I ever will... but it would be awesome to do.

i know i dont like lp5 very much but this seems to holy grail for everyone else.

it ceratinly was for tom york et al.

weet abix, i was like you regarding lp5. at first i thought it was "Ae lite", but then i had a totally out-there experience involving magic mushrooms and lp5, and now i love it! especially drane 2, one of autechres saddest tracks. sad as in "boo hoo" sad, not "poo plop" sad.

Guest Audiophile

777 is definately mind imploding on the magical. for some reason confield & devines cautella are the scariest shat ive ever heard on some sort of un mentionable hallucinagary. bad trips dont go well with some ae :fear:

Edited by Audiophile

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Combo McGriff

For those who can't get into this album : Listen to Cipater at FULL VOLUME and then come again... U'll be amazed. :fear:

Guest iep

i know i dont like lp5 very much but this seems to holy grail for everyone else.

it ceratinly was for tom york et al.

weet abix, i was like you regarding lp5. at first i thought it was "Ae lite", but then i had a totally out-there experience involving magic mushrooms and lp5, and now i love it! especially drane 2, one of autechres saddest tracks. sad as in "boo hoo" sad, not "poo plop" sad.

heh! same here.. i always liked lp5 but after hearing it on shrooms, it left this imprint in my brain. by now, i know every piece of it by heart..

as for chiastic slide... it might very well be my favorite record EVER..

chiastic slide is probably my favorite overall autechre album. The last song is simply amazing. the buildup is very intense but subtle.

Autechre was on top of their game sound design wise for this album

• 1 month later...

Yeah, this is definitely my favourite Autechre album.. and has been for a long time. It started in the spring of 97; I had just turned 19 and this album had just arrived at my local "techno" record store, so I bought it as a birthday present for myself. The other present for myself was a 10-strip of some rather potent blotter (it had musical notes and skulls on it, in case anyone's interested). My brother and I ingested said hallucinogens, and left the CD on repeat alllll night. I was completely engrossed in the imagery... basically everything Asymptote said was 100% spot-on; couldn't have written it better. My brother has basically no interest in electronic music (especially since that word didn't exist then) but was still quite into the album. For years I could play him the shortest fraction of a song from Chiastic and he would be instantly transported back to that night. My love for this album has grown even greater over the years (I can't believe it's been almost a decade!). No matter how many hundreds of times I hear it it will never get old for me. The high points for me are Cipater (duh), Cichli and Recury. Some years after I bought the cd in 97 I picked up the vinyl as well, even though I didn't have a record player at the time. What a great investment that was though.. I'm constantly using it in my mixes. I like to mix with Cichli, although the wandering melody makes it a bitch to mix properly. A much easier song to mix with is Cipater. Now I know what you're thinking.. the time shift has gotta play hell with me. Actually, the shift is very mathematical: the BPMs drop by 1/3. So, if you have the song slowed down to 111 (the song is "supposed" to be at 113) then after the shift the BPM becomes 74 (2/3 of 111). This is a good way to switch up the BPM of a mix, which I like to do :)

One more thing I'm surprised that no-one else has mentioned: the vinyl sleeve has artwork on the inside! This is the only record I've ever seen that does this (besides a number of records I have that just have some colour printed on the inside). If you have access to the vinyl of chiastic you should check this out.. I used to bulge open the sleeve and stare into it all the time :) The pattern is pretty much a continuation of the outside theme. Haven't looked at it for some time however, since the 3 sleeves are currently adorning my wall as the main part of an autechre frieze: containing chiastic, envane (both), both ep7 sleeves, the green cichlisuite sleeve, and my signed confield poster <3

Just in case you're wondering.. all those records aren't naked! I bought a ton of blank cardboard sleeves to house my autechre vinyl :)

• 1 year later...
Guest Enter a new display name

Tewe, Cichli, Recury and Nuane are tracks that reach perfection, seriously. Nuane is so unique so much there is no repetition!

i am currently trying to get a hold of this on vinyl, no joy though except discogs and i aint buying from there.

anyone know where i can get it apart from discogs?