IGNORED

Chiastic Slide

Guest Turncoat Indian

One more thing I'm surprised that no-one else has mentioned: the vinyl sleeve has artwork on the inside! This is the only record I've ever seen that does this (besides a number of records I have that just have some colour printed on the inside).

the keynell remixes record has loads of graphics on the inside of the cover too. if you peer right to the back on the inside of the spine, it says "if youre reading this you are a sad trainspotter"...ACE!

reading this thread again has made me want to go home and listen to nuane at a ridculously loud volume.

Still my favorite. Hub can be annoying if you're not in the mood but damn is this album awesome.

Out of that Tri Rep - Confield stretch, this definitely gets the least love, even compared to EPs.

• 1 month later...
Guest ventaxia

I saw a post on here the other day about how fold4 wrap5 was done but can't find it.

anyway here is a quick example of a sort of chiastic track done way back messing around (uploaded as an attachment). I've got tons of this type of stuff if interested i may put some of it up here:

http://slightlyrougharoundtheedges.wordpress.com/

let us know???? and enjoy...

Chiastic_Slide_Example.mp3

Guest Chogg
I like to mix with Cichli, although the wandering melody makes it a bitch to mix properly.

That and it's in 5/4

As for the post with all the imagery, which I loved, I personally find "pule" reminds me of a swamp or pond.. the synths sound a bit froggy to me. I didn't care much for the melodies on this album as they all seemed too simple. Cichli and Nvane are definite classics, though.

Guest DMWalles

Here is a question

Hub by Black Dog or Hub by Autechre?

Edited by DMWalles

Guest musicforairports
Here is a question

Hub by Black Dog or Hub by Autechre?

that reminds me of something strange, i was listening to spanners the other day, and for those who have it should have a listen to the track "bolt 4" of the album, then go and listen to "acroyear 2" of LP5, intro's are quite similar.

Edited by musicforairports

This was my fave AE for a long time. I tend to associate this album with Seward, Alaska and with cloudy, cool, rainy weather in general. I have fond memories of standing at the front of a tour boat in Seward the summer my family moved to Alaska. The boat was going fairly fast, and I stared down into the water as Rettic AC came on in my headphones. 3 brown dolphins weaved around each other, just ahead of the

boat. They raced along for the remainder of the track. Defin

itely one of my favorite memories of Alaska.

All that said, I dig this album except Cichli. Lots of people seem to say the exact opposite, that Cichli is pretty and the rest is basically a waste. Cichli is just kind of mediocre to me, the beats are like every electronic music cliche and the melody feels kind of sentimental and forced. I've grown to appreciate it, mostly for the strings that feel kind of like the first track of Garbage, and I also like the kind of glowy, aquatic pad.

Edited by sweepstakes

Guest Chogg
All that said, I dig this album except Cichli. Lots of people seem to say the exact opposite, that Cichli is pretty and the rest is basically a waste. Cichli is just kind of mediocre to me, the beats are like every electronic music cliche and the melody feels kind of sentimental and forced. I've grown to appreciate it, mostly for the strings that feel kind of like the first track of Garbage, and I also like the kind of glowy, aquatic pad.

I don't see how a 5/4 rhythm is any sort of cliche. Are you sure you're talking about cichli?

I don't see how a 5/4 rhythm is any sort of cliche. Are you sure you're talking about cichli?

Yep. I'm sure. Track 4 on the CD, B1 on the record. After Tewe and before Hub.

Sure, there's not too many tracks in 5/4 but the timbres/samples just sound really lame to me. Something doesn't have to be a facsimile of something cliched to feel tired.

Mostly it's just not subtle, at all, and the subtlety is one of my favorite things about Autechre.

I guess that one just didn't age well but like I said I find it at least tolerable now.

Guest Chogg

Yep. I'm sure. Track 4 on the CD, B1 on the record. After Tewe and before Hub.

Sure, there's not too many tracks in 5/4 but the timbres/samples just sound really lame to me. Something doesn't have to be a facsimile of something cliched to feel tired.

Mostly it's just not subtle, at all, and the subtlety is one of my favorite things about Autechre.

I guess that one just didn't age well but like I said I find it at least tolerable now.

Fair enough. In all honesty I didn't like it at first either - or much of the album, for that matter. I've always been a bit bothered by Autechre's melodies that sound like a little kid randomly hitting the white keys, Cichli being a prime example of one. That track grew on me like a fungus, though, and is now probably my favourite on the album. It's Hub that I can't stand...

I certainly appreciate Cichli for its flow with the rest of the album. It's also interesting how much it sounds like Keynell 4, which I do really like. I wish I had Key Nell on vinyl so I could mix it with Cichli but I'm not going to shell out $50 or $100 for the 12". :P Yeah, that's another reason why I dig Chiastic so much, there were still lots of parallels between the Gescom and Autechre material at this time, even the same samples in places.

I like Hub! It reminds me of an abandoned train station.

Yup, to each their own :)

As far as timbre and aesthetics, I think this album is perfect. This was the most cohesive Autechre ever and I think after this they decided that wasn't as interesting to them as finding new sounds and new ways to mess with people's heads.

Chiastic is my second favorite AE album behind Confield. For a while, I started to think Cichli was overrated and kept skipping it a lot when I listened to the album. I think it was probably just backlash from listening to it so much when I first got it and seeing how everyone else liked it.

But if you take it in context of the album, and just sit and listen to the entire freaking album. Cichli is amazing. A perfect fit for a perfect album.

Congratulations Autechres. 10/10

• 1 year later...

Cichli was the first autechre track my fiancée was exposed to a few years ago. it has always been her favourite autechre track (so far), and today she told me that the pads that come in around 1:06, and the end of the track, sounds like "the soundtrack to penguins dying".

i lolled

Cichli is absolutely mind-blowing. It's choc full of all these little noises that enhance an already thundering, pounding beat. Every clunk seemed unexpected when I first heard it, but now I can clap along to it. The melody is so beautiful. I've tried to re-create it in a MIDI, but it's tricky. At the ending.. just.. wow. It suddenly transits from utter pandemonium into a delicate coral, and somehow Ae manage to do this perfectly. It's up there with some of the most emotional musical moments ever conceived, along with the best BoC moments.

Another great track is Pule, the underrated masterpiece. It has a perfect, continuous, non-repetitive melody which sets the tone for a wonderfully rich landscape, a feeling which is so hard to describe. Like you are at the height of natural beauty, at a swamp teeming with life, surrounded by the smell of prehistoric nutrients. You can sit down and watch the sunset painted across a misty sky. Then we reach the ending, where you and all your fellow creatures can listen to the communal lullaby and drift off to sleep. You almost cry at the very idea of such beauty. And then...BANG GOES NUANE!

a perfect album indeed, mastery of repetition. oversteps is so insignificant and pathetic in comparison it's not even funny.

can anyone recommend a musician\band that does something like rettic ac ? in terms of sound design, not melody.