IGNORED

reason 6 - any other reason users have a complete boner over this?

Alzado

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

flying lotus uses reason 3.5. some interesting tweets:

Parches: @flyinglotus wait, you made Cosmogramma all on Reason 3.5?

Flyinglotus: To be real... since we're starting a new era. so far, I did everything on Reason 3.5 (From july heat to pattern+grid world).

Flyinglotus: if the logic thing doesn't work out. .Ill just go back to my old ways. No matter what ill probably always use reason 3 even if its rewired

Flyinglotus: @strangelooptv showed me how to use reason in college.. I dropped out

Flyinglotus: after reason 3.5 i thought the sequencer got over complicated. I only need a limited amount of tools.

Flyinglotus: i think reason is the worst program out . i just learned it first. it does what i need it to do

Flyinglotus: they can keep updating reason im probably gonna stick with 3.5, rewire into logic. pow. (until they make a mac version of fl studio)

Flyinglotus: reason 3.5 won't work on my new mac. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

he's right about the sequencer getting overcomplicated after 3.5, I preferred the old 3.5 sequencer too.

the thing that stood out the most about the new seqeuncer is that the random coloring is missing. it sounds stupid, but it is handy as fuck. you can move a note in the sequence and the box will change color so you can immediatly discern it from other blocks.

If my memory served me well, the only difference is that you have to put notes and automation inside clips.

And while I might philosophically disagree with that, because it's tailored to people who make really repetitive music, in practice is isn't very complicated.

If my memory served me well, the only difference is that you have to put notes and automation inside clips.

And while I might philosophically disagree with that, because it's tailored to people who make really repetitive music, in practice is isn't very complicated.

yeah thats the main difference

In reason 3 (3.5 didn't exist, you're quite right amissingsense) you could just click anywhere to drop notes or edit notes or add automation, but from Reason 4 onwards you have to click to 'activate' the clip before you edit parts of it. Kinda like clips were optional in Reason 3 (you could add them after adding the notes) but became mandatory in Reason 4. And only one clip can be active at a time. Also the random colouring algorithm went as amissingsense said; and it was quite handy.

It just means a bit more clicking but it often gets on my nerves. I can see why they did it though; they wanted it all to be more organised like the grown-up daws. they were probably laying the groundwork for Record too.

edit: Here's an example of when its annoying: if you're editing the notes near the end of one clip and at the start of the next clip, you have to keep clicking on the clips to activate them as you swittch back and forth. Before Reason 4 you could just edit the notes without worrying about activating the clip first.

Guest Dogboy73
reason 6 - any other reason users have a complete boner over this?

Me. But I've got a boner most of the time! I got a boner just reading this thread!! Infact, when Reason 6 appears at the end of the month I reckon my doo da will fu***ng explode with excitement!! All that will be left is a ball sack minus a delivery system!! :crazy: At least I'll have Reason 6 though. The 3 new devices look fantastic. Roll on 30th September :music:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Dogboy73

Well it seems they listened to those who were complaining about the price:

http://www.propeller...paywhatyouwant/

only valid for owners of Reason [and] Record.

so if you only own Reason, you're fucked.

If you only have Reason then the upgrade to 6 is a massive leap & worth the upgrade price. Not so if you were already a Reason/Record user. That's where the complaints about the upgrade price came from. For 99 Neurons is was basically all about the 3 new devices, 64-bit + a few other tweaks. Reason only users will find stacks of new stuff going from 5 to 6.

no idea why they're making a big deal about it being 64bit.

there is no need for it to be 64bit, unless you're accessing sample libraries that are over 4GB.

anyways, meh. i'm trying to transition over to Reaper anyway.

there is no need for it to be 64bit, unless you're accessing sample libraries that are over 4GB.

Have you tried ableton?

up until recently, (i bought the record for reason owners for $169) I put audio into reason all the time by opening up a nn19 and cuing it up as midi. I would do this for entire renoise exports, so I could process with reason's effects which sound pretty amazing sometimes. however, this forced me to always listen from the beginning, since you can't just drop in in the middle of a midi note. it worked for me for years.

also, since i bought the upgrade i'll get reason 6 free.

Been reading up on that, I think people who ReWire reason to other DAWs need it to run in the same bit-mode as those daws. So having Reason support 64-bit makes it more compatible for re-wiring.

Presumably this is talking about the instruction-size of the program rather than the internal signal path of the audio? (presumably Reason audio still processes in 32-bit resolution? I havent been able to find anything that makes that clear)

Have you tried ableton?

yeah I tried Ableton Live a while back, didn't really like it to be honest.

Been reading up on that, I think people who ReWire reason to other DAWs need it to run in the same bit-mode as those daws. So having Reason support 64-bit makes it more compatible for re-wiring.

I doubt that is correct, due to the fact that the 64bit version of Reaper manages to rewire just fine with 32bit Reason.

Have you tried ableton?

yeah I tried Ableton Live a while back, didn't really like it to be honest.

Fair enough, I was just curious. I thought that being able to jam in session view would appeal to you for some "reason".

i identify with Flying Lotus, Reason was more or less the first piece of serious software that i learned and i just stuck with it, but there are a lot of things about it that don't fit the way i write music.

my biggest qualm with it is the fact that imported samples may only be played from the beginning. i work primarily with my own recorded sounds, usually importing 4 or 5 minutes+ worth of samples that i need to listen to over and over from the beginning just to get them in the right place in the sequencer, much less start anything fun with them. i've been told i need to switch to FL, but i just don't feel like learning new tricks.

i'm wondering if the implementation of recording audio will allow playback of recorded audio from any point in the sound wave?

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

Move the first loop point to move to a different part of the audio in a full track? As far as I know the only way to move around a song efficiently in mixing audio in Reason is to cut up the song at each section.

Reason 6 should have competent multitracking audio support so this should not be an issue anymore right? Not that I'm concerned about it.

Cant you just move the 1st loop point? I've been doing that for years i think.

huh? sorry, i don't follow.

if you load a 2 minute sample in the NN19, for example, lay it out in the sequencer, then try to play it anywhere that isn't the beginning, it won't work. what i'd like to see is viewable waveforms which may be played from any time/length of the sample.

Move the first loop point to move to a different part of the audio in a full track? As far as I know the only way to move around a song efficiently in mixing audio in Reason is to cut up the song at each section.

Reason 6 should have competent multitracking audio support so this should not be an issue anymore right? Not that I'm concerned about it.

i hope so. not that it looks like i'll really be able to find/afford it any time soon. i think i'd rather just move on, personally.

if you load a 2 minute sample in the NN19, for example, lay it out in the sequencer, then try to play it anywhere that isn't the beginning, it won't work. what i'd like to see is viewable waveforms which may be played from any time/length of the sample.

i hope so. not that it looks like i'll really be able to find/afford it any time soon. i think i'd rather just move on, personally.

I have record. The audio tracks work perfectly well.

But yeah, I'm not trying to convince you to use reason. To be honest I use it because it's the only thing I learned.

I don't have it in front of me, but I'm pretty sure if you use the NNXT sampler, you can switch the start point.

Archived