IGNORED

Finally! Lucas Gets Something Right

Joyrex

Guest bitroast

the latest version released on DVD had the original versions as a 'bonus feature'.

just be sure to get the dvd set that comes with 2 discs per film and has the term Theatrical Version in special features list: )

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what a fucking apologist

No, the "untouched" original trilogy is not included. Yes, there are some goofy new additions, like Darth Vader yelling "NOOOOO" as he throws Emperor Palpatine over the railing. I don't think anyone expected this release ofThe Complete Saga to be free of controversy. But come on. It's Star Wars. On Blu-ray. This is a once-in-a-technological-generation event, and if your hatred of George Lucas' revisionist tinkerings keeps you from enjoying some of your favorite films in high definition, you're missing out. Believe me, I share your pain. Whenever I hear that stupid funk song inside Jabba's palace, I cringe like a man being forced to bite down on tin foil or chew sand. It's almost physically painful. But I'm done being bitter. I'm playing the long game. One of these days, Lucas will wise up and realize that the original trilogy—in its original form—is a culturally and historically important piece of pop art that belongs to its fans. But until that day, I'm going to enjoy this Blu-ray box set. The films have never looked or sounded better— Episodes III-VI are particularly impressive—and they come with a fantastic collection of special features. Highly Recommended!

what a fucking apologist

No, the "untouched" original trilogy is not included. Yes, there are some goofy new additions, like Darth Vader yelling "NOOOOO" as he throws Emperor Palpatine over the railing. I don't think anyone expected this release ofThe Complete Saga to be free of controversy. But come on. It's Star Wars. On Blu-ray. This is a once-in-a-technological-generation event, and if your hatred of George Lucas' revisionist tinkerings keeps you from enjoying some of your favorite films in high definition, you're missing out. Believe me, I share your pain. Whenever I hear that stupid funk song inside Jabba's palace, I cringe like a man being forced to bite down on tin foil or chew sand. It's almost physically painful. But I'm done being bitter. I'm playing the long game. One of these days, Lucas will wise up and realize that the original trilogy—in its original form—is a culturally and historically important piece of pop art that belongs to its fans. But until that day, I'm going to enjoy this Blu-ray box set. The films have never looked or sounded better— Episodes III-VI are particularly impressive—and they come with a fantastic collection of special features. Highly Recommended!

Sounds like while he, like many of us dislike what Lucas has done to his movies, he can still find enjoyment in them. I see nothing apologetic about that.

Guest underscore

how the balls could a person highly recommend something that they state is "almost physically painful?" unless you're into that kind of thing

how the balls could a person highly recommend something that they state is "almost physically painful?" unless you're into that kind of thing

RTFQA: He said he found the Jabba's Palace Musical Number and it's music "almost physically painful", not the vast majority of the rest of the film (or the other films for that matter).

Guest underscore

you think I didn't realize that quote was taken out of context? it still doesn't change the fact that the guys positive review is basically based on ONE statement he makes in the entire thing; "But come on. It's Star Wars. On Blu-ray". when half a review is NEGATIVE, I do not expect the product to be "highly recommended."

you think I didn't realize that quote was taken out of context? it still doesn't change the fact that the guys positive review is basically based on ONE statement he makes in the entire thing; "But come on. It's Star Wars. On Blu-ray". when half a review is NEGATIVE, I do not expect the product to be "highly recommended."

exactly why i called him a "fucking apologist"

...like Darth Vader yelling "NOOOOO" as he throws Emperor Palpatine over the railing.

And here I was thinking that was just a youtube joke and not official :trap: He totally lost it.

i guess you didn't read through the rest of this thread where it's already been confirmed that it is for real

I guess I need to draw you a picture (of sorts):

red = negative

green = positive

No, the "untouched" original trilogy is not included. Yes, there are some goofy new additions, like Darth Vader yelling "NOOOOO" as he throws Emperor Palpatine over the railing. I don't think anyone expected this release of The Complete Saga to be free of controversy. But come on. It's Star Wars. On Blu-ray. This is a once-in-a-technological-generation event, and if your hatred of George Lucas' revisionist tinkerings keeps you from enjoying some of your favorite films in high definition, you're missing out. Believe me, I share your pain. Whenever I hear that stupid funk song inside Jabba's palace, I cringe like a man being forced to bite down on tin foil or chew sand. It's almost physically painful. But I'm done being bitter. I'm playing the long game. One of these days, Lucas will wise up and realize that the original trilogy—in its original form—is a culturally and historically important piece of pop art that belongs to its fans. But until that day, I'm going to enjoy this Blu-ray box set. The films have never looked or sounded better— Episodes III-VI are particularly impressive—and they come with a fantastic collection of special features. Highly Recommended!

At best, I see the "review" (was this really the whole review?) as positive, with some noted negatives. I also disagree about it belonging to the fans bit - it's Lucas' movies, and he can do whatever he wants to them.

Also, you can look at his negative statements to be personal opinion, and not an actual reflection of the quality of the product, as some people may enjoy (or at best be oblivious to) the changes Lucas has made.

Guest bitroast

what a fucking apologist

Sounds like while he, like many of us dislike what Lucas has done to his movies, he can still find enjoyment in them. I see nothing apologetic about that.

having watched a new hope on blu-ray, i can agree 100% with this guys reviews.

the additions are horrible, but it's still absolutely amazing seeing the films in this new restored condition.

Archived