IGNORED

life without caffeine

jules

Guest Sprigg

im blown away by people who use those stackers and energy shots. that shit must make you crash horribly.

Took one once. Had been awake for three days and was working a double shift (15 hours) at a gas station. I took one 'round 6:30 pm, since we closed at 11. I thought my heart was going to explode and I experienced a niacin flush or some shit (my skin turned red). Stayed alert, but I was jerky and my thoughts/ actions were very disconnected. Crashed exactly five hours later. No crash my ass, fuck! I almost fell asleep counting the register and my coworker had to remind me to lock the door. I didn't remember the drive home at all.

Haven't taken one of those since.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest abusivegeorge

Maybe xxx can back me up here.

A hell of a lot of cocaine addicts who no longer use are serious caffeine addicts. I was told by a man who deals specifically with coke addiction that caffeine has the same affect on the nervous system as cocaine does, it opens similar receptors in the brain also.

There's a good few cocaine addicts I serve on my tea duty that are aware of this phenomena and they always ask me for decaf coffee and/or tea.

I was wondering because of this affect it has on the and brain nervous system is why it is addictive, it guess it can spark off some sort of physical craving and mental obsession.

I'm not for one minute suggesting that caffeine addicts are cocaine addicts in the slightest, but medical research does highlight the similarity in brain and body responses between the two, and thus, both can be addictive.

I have no proof of this whatsoever, I haven't bothered to research it, but it is what I have been informed.

ive never drank caffiene atall, apart from the odd coke after i reached an age where i had my own money to buy it sometimes, my parents never gave me it.

ive never felt any need for it either, the concept of feeling like shit without it is alien to me, its not really comparable to cigerettes because when i dont have a cigerette, i dont feel like shit, i just feel like i want a fag.

ive actaully had the most drug free existence since i started smoking weed when i was 14 the last 2 months. i quit mdma, and ive not been smoking weed for ages anyway, im down to just drinking once a week two.

i feel exactly the same.

Maybe xxx can back me up here.

A hell of a lot of cocaine addicts who no longer use are serious caffeine addicts. I was told by a man who deals specifically with coke addiction that caffeine has the same affect on the nervous system as cocaine does, it opens similar receptors in the brain also.

There's a good few cocaine addicts I serve on my tea duty that are aware of this phenomena and they always ask me for decaf coffee and/or tea.

I was wondering because of this affect it has on the and brain nervous system is why it is addictive, it guess it can spark off some sort of physical craving and mental obsession.

I'm not for one minute suggesting that caffeine addicts are cocaine addicts in the slightest, but medical research does highlight the similarity in brain and body responses between the two, and thus, both can be addictive.

I have no proof of this whatsoever, I haven't bothered to research it, but it is what I have been informed.

I could certainly believe that, having had a sniff or two back in my day...the feeling is somewhat similar, though ive been addicted to smoking and drinking too.

My schedule has become insane lately, so I almost always have to start up with two shots of espresso, a little bit o' milk, and a dash of hot chocolate. It keeps me going for most of the day, then by the time I finish my cardio Im exhausted and can barely focus on anything.

I've only ever tried coffee once and thought it tasted like shit. I get a tight chest and racing heart on a small amount of caffeine so it's probably a good thing I don't like coffee. I tend to take things I enjoy to excess. I took one of those Pro Plus things once and thought my ribs were melting. I do like an occasional tea once in a while but that's not really taking caffeine to excess.

I completely understand how people can feel they can't function without caffeine. A mate, once upon a time, did rely on it for his daily functioning. Fucked up, but after all it is an addictive substance.

Guest MortstoX

ive never drank caffiene atall, apart from the odd coke after i reached an age where i had my own money to buy it sometimes, my parents never gave me it.

ive never felt any need for it either, the concept of feeling like shit without it is alien to me, its not really comparable to cigerettes because when i dont have a cigerette, i dont feel like shit, i just feel like i want a fag.

ive actaully had the most drug free existence since i started smoking weed when i was 14 the last 2 months. i quit mdma, and ive not been smoking weed for ages anyway, im down to just drinking once a week two.

i feel exactly the same.

You've tried mdma and weed. You drink and smoke. But you are glad you've never had a cup of coffee....

I don't know what this tight chest phenomenon thing is that people are mentioning, never had that. I do get a little bit like that guy in the french video when I've had too much, and if I drink a lot of coffee late at night I get this weird coffee hangover the next day where my legs feel like they're "buzzing", like an internal tremor or something. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

I don't know what this tight chest phenomenon thing is that people are mentioning, never had that. I do get a little bit like that guy in the french video when I've had too much, and if I drink a lot of coffee late at night I get this weird coffee hangover the next day where my legs feel like they're "buzzing", like an internal tremor or something. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Never tried that. If I drink coffee all day and forget to eat or drink any water I get coffee-nausea where I start sweating, feel dizzy, and can't concentrate on anything. It only happens when I work a lot and forget that it's kinda wise to drink a glass of water each time you drink a cup of coffee/espresso. Today I've had 2 big espressos and a fucking wonderful cortado and I'm on the verge of falling asleep. Need more power!

• 2 weeks later...

gone just over a week without any caffeine and i feel really drowsy all the time. however, i hold eye contact with people more and i'm generally less abrupt. there's probably a high chance that next time i have a really full on day of work i'll end up having a coffee though.

house mate going away for a few months left some rooibos (no caffeine) tea and honey, so i'm just drinking that. feels a bit wrong but whatever.

im slowly cutting down to one cup of earl grey each morning

but i've had to supplement with some yerba mate each day so far. i was drinking upwards of 32oz of coffee every day for a few years before this thread though, so i'm feelin pretty good. thanks for the motivation, watmm :cisfor:

Good work.

(please don't let the fact that i'm being supportive put you off (hehe))

no, thanks for the support fellow.

i was in town today and had the idea of going for a coffee after i'd done my stuff, then realised i'm not drinking coffee. i slowed down to smell an italian coffee place, coffee scent was bellowing from it. stood looking at the coffee section in a shop. got home and smelled a house-mates coffee beans.

hmm, it might not sound like it but i'm not that fussed about having caffeine.

ordered a decaf latte this morning. felt like a right div but i guess coffee shops are there for such divs. i'd normally get espresso but i thought i might as well get some fat and calcium for my money.

i suppose i only understand it in context too. had to look it up on urban dictionary:

div 577 up, 65 down

Actually originates from prison slang in the UK. A job often given to the lowest inmates was to put cardboard dividers into boxes. Someone given this job was a 'divider' or a 'div'. Now used as an insult to those who display stupidity.

div 245 up, 206 down

Div is a scouse word for idiot. It is short for divvy which in turn is a corruption of Deva. The Deva Hospital was a well known mental hospital (since renamed the West Cheshire Hospital) on the outskirts of Chester. Chester was founded by the Romans who named it Deva. Go on - you're impressed, aren't you!

You must be a right div to waste yer time writing out definitions that nobody gives a toss about.

divvy 49 up, 29 down

(UK) wastrel or sponger (pos orig from 1950s Unemployment Dividend i.e. dole)

you are nothing but a scouse divvy

divvy 11 up, 5 down

this word doesn't come from anything to do with the dole or unemployment, it's a north-eastern english word originating from the mining community's use of different types of lamp whilst 'doon the pit'. An early, dangerous lamp nicknamed the Scotch Davy ('Divvie') had a high propensity to explode, and was superseded by safer lamps such as the George Stephenson ('Geordie') lamp. So someone would be unwise to go down a mine with a Davy/Divvie lamp, hence the word coming to mean a daft or silly person. Non-offensive and can be affectionate.

'Ye keep way from me if ye usin a divvy!' (Miners' usage)

'Ha, you're such a divvy' or 'He's a right div.' (Modern usage)

hmm, mysterious.

Archived