Philip Glass - Music In Twelve Parts, Part 12 (8-bit cover)

Dragon

Hello there. You may have noticed my interest in minimalist music and additive rhythm. Some of you may even remember the 8-bit cover I made of Two Pages by Philip Glass a while back.

I've always been fascinated by the music of Glass, and one performance that really strikes me is Music In Twelve Parts. I have three different versions of this piece, and only after carefully studying the score can I truly appreciate its genius.

So I thought, what if I applied these minimal works to a minimal sound design, rather than an orchestra? The result is an oxymoron - it flows with beauty, energy, creativity, and amazing detail - despite being founded on basic ideas of process, repetition, and simple waveforms.

This is Part 12 of the performance, rewritten with that special 8-bit sound we all know and love as chiptune. Note that the traditional technique of using ridiculous arpeggios instead of chords has been abandoned - the nature of the original piece makes such an approach impossible.

22:42

21.7mb

http://www.mediafire.com/?4zo3ou4jfgzepf4

Enjoy!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Similar Content

• By feltopptak
      Bodyverse - I Could Go Lucid

https://lontanoseries.bandcamp.com/album/i-could-go-lucid

‘I Could Go Lucid’ is about an instant of awareness in which I realise I could have the chance to create an astonishing reality, if only I could keep consciousness while dreaming, for more than an ephemeral moment. Lucid dreams mean to me a chance to create perfection as I feel they release the power of imagination in its whole potential. Imagination becomes matter to interact with. It’s the brain’ s virtual reality, the off limits oneiric one. As well as in dreams, also in the in musical creative process I perceive a certain amount of surreal content, and it too links with imagination and with the act of materialising ideas. For this reason I am currently experimenting through improvisation, in a journey between surrealism, expressionism and situationist drift. I try to let ideas flow, so my will subordinates to accidents and emotions. I become an explorer or a traveller with an uncertain destination. This atmosphere has resulted in a creation of six pieces in which the priority is simply to keep the integrity of the original idea itself. Nothing has been planned nor post-produced.  This is involuntary music.   
    • By juiceciuj
      this new prototype has been teased by olivier for a bit now. his new yt video offers the first audio and details on his next major project.

"A 3-channel analog synthesizer on a Game Boy cart. Sound comes from the Game Boy's headphone output."

• By modey
      2 Game Boy Micro consoles running Nanoloop 2, no post-processing or editing.

• By ambermonke
      I have a confession to make...

I've used FL Studio as my primary music production tool since July 2003. Figuratively speaking, it might be time to pull the plug for good. Getting sick of just looking at the same screen every time I attempt to start up my next track. Probably explains why the past two years I've been in such a production slouch.

So I'm open to suggestions for alternative software - preferably one that's tracker/sequencer-based and is flexible in terms of synthesis, but also not super complex to use. If that means getting a harsh reprimand for having used FL Studio for more than twelve years, so be it.

• By Rubin Farr
      If you're a fan of these 8-bit/chiptune inspired games, this is a nice little package with a trippy looking piece of vinyl, and Steam download codes for all the games and their digital soundtracks for $25.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/08/24/bit-trip-iam8bit-vinyl/