IGNORED

Board Game Discussion

murve33

I've been going on a board game binge as of late. I bought a couple of titles, and started playing some of the older ones I already owned again. What are your favorite board games? I'll post some shortly.

I like well known classics such as Chess and Taboo. And I really really like Boggle. But I've been discovering new games as of late that are pretty damn awesome.

Magnificent Race: Very original game. There's a good deal of luck involved, but you and your friends all compete with one another in addition to a NPC who can win the game. Plus the art style is gorgeous.

pic796598_md.jpg

3M (Minnesota Mining and Manufacturing) made some awesome games.

Breakthru: Difficult strategy game, one tries to break through defenses with a flag ship, and the other tries to kill the flag ship.

pic119969_md.jpg

Pokemon Master Trainer: This game appears to be based on the original game boy games. It's a little shitty, but my friends and I nerded out and made very complicated alternative rules. Game play lasted fucking hours.

pic297011_md.jpg

If you know of any odd games or not well known ones, post them.

Edited by Murveman

My favourite board game when young was called Crossbows & Catapults. You set up your base and fire the shit out of your opponents with round plastic discs. Fucking excellent!

eg:

I'm not into Risk. I do, however, love a good game of Settlers of Catan.

Yeah, I love this game, but can't find anyone else nerdy enough to play it with me.

Love crossbows and catapults. Also used to love to play Sirocco and Shogun with my dad, particularly the latter which would sit on our dining room table for weeks at a time as we played one move . . . then the next . . .

Yeah, I love this game, but can't find anyone else nerdy enough to play it with me.

lol that sucks.

Catan rocks so fucking hard and is huge at my school. so much some dudes i know made this

There's a pretty decent and free online version.

Carcassonne is super-simple -- too simple for me.

And Braintree, surely one of the great things about Catan is that anybody can understand it within about 15 minutes? I always find that new players love Catan, especially if their only experience of board games comes from frustrating family Monopoly sessions.

I have nobody to play board games with besides my dad, so I don't play as often as I would like to. I miss playing Tantrix in the beach with my dad.

Pretty much my issue as well. My girlfriend and I play a lot of board games, but she doesn't like Chess or shit like that, so I have no one to play with.

What happened to the WATMM games? It'd give me something to do when I'm stuck at school. I'm sure they cost too much.