IGNORED

Board Game Discussion

murve33

To make Go more enticing, I'll explain it a bit more. It's an ancient game originating in China about 4,000 years ago. Like chess, there's no chance element like dice or anything along those lines. Rather, two players take turns placing stones on the intersections of lines on a 19x19 grid (usually, black vs. white). The object of the game is to surround as much territory (the number of "points", or intersections of lines) as possible. The player who does this wins.

Even thought the mechanics of the game are ultimately very logical, there is a lot of psychology involved in playing. Due to its complexity, it's one of the "final frontiers" for artificial intelligence research. Unlike chess, the best go playing programs cannot defeat the best professional human players. That might change in a few years, but it's something that go players love to point out about the game. Me, I just like playing, and I don't really give a shit if a computer can beat me.

I was introduced to the game by my logic professor in grad school. Before that I was really into Pente, which is an Americanized variant of Go-Moku (a child's variant of Go). I still like Pente, but Go really takes the cake for involving, surprising and challenging games, for me.

How strong are you? I'm 1kyu seems like forever.

This is a childhood favorite that I picked up in a charity shop recently:

043.JPG

048.JPG

Makes me wanna grab some of the other ones I used to play endlessly with my little sis when we were kids:

treasure%20and%20trapsmall.jpg

P1000810.JPG

pic1168637_md.jpg

pic126693_md.jpg

when discussing these games, a friend mentioned the one below. Never played it but it looks awesome.

escape_from_atlantissmall.jpg

when discussing these games, a friend mentioned the one below. Never played it but it looks awesome.

escape_from_atlantissmall.jpg

Used to play a lot of this with my cousin when I was a kid. I think we also made our own modified rule sets and used the board as a generic hex map for our own games.

pic175966_md.jpg

arkham-horror.jpg

heeeellllllllll yea

Also my friends and I have been diggin' Galaxy Truckers quite a lot! Really fun once you get the hang of it. Hell, it's even fun before you get the hang of it. The instruction booklet is actually quite funny and straightforward.

ScreenShot005.png

Edited by Capsaicin

I've been enjoying the occasional round of Small World, where you control a succession of magical armies to dominate a landscape

http://www.daysofwonder.com/smallworld/en/

I'm also looking forward to playing this game my friend worked on (VELOCIRAPTOR! CANNIBALISM!):

http://shop.gamesalute.com/collections/front-page-1/products/velociraptor-cannibalism

I've been enjoying the occasional round of Small World, where you control a succession of magical armies to dominate a landscape

http://www.daysofwonder.com/smallworld/en/

I'm also looking forward to playing this game my friend worked on (VELOCIRAPTOR! CANNIBALISM!):

http://shop.gamesalute.com/collections/front-page-1/products/velociraptor-cannibalism

That Velociraptor game looks hilarious.

Edited by Guest

Took me a few seconds but I remember treasures and trapdoors. You know when you look at something from the past and it takes you a while to remember.

Need to get some classic games for Christmas I think.

Nobody wants to play Blokus against me anymore (1vs1 or 4 player), because I'm too aggressive and it makes them cry. :(

ahaha maybe its an architect thing - my non architect friends run scared when I suggest a game based upon spatial thinking

A friend of mine runs a board game cafe with 700+ board games. I've probably played about 50 of them by now. Here's a few I liked:

7 wonders (a cross between Civilization and drafting magic cards)

Lords of Waterdeep (neat mechanics, only played once, want to try it again)

Resistance (great game for about 7 people, you're either trying to sabotage the other players, or figure out who the saboteurs are.)

Ticket to Ride (easy to learn but has some medium-level strategy aspects)

Galaxy Trucker (so much fun, you literally build a space ship out of a pile of spare parts)

Dixit (nice creative game for people who don't like traditional board games)

Cyclades (played twice, sort of like risk but more fun)

Samurai (great game if you like the tactical elements of old-school board games like chess)

They're all pretty different, oddly enough.

A friend of mine runs a board game cafe with 700+ board games. I've probably played about 50 of them by now. Here's a few I liked:

7 wonders (a cross between Civilization and drafting magic cards)

Lords of Waterdeep (neat mechanics, only played once, want to try it again)

Resistance (great game for about 7 people, you're either trying to sabotage the other players, or figure out who the saboteurs are.)

Ticket to Ride (easy to learn but has some medium-level strategy aspects)

Galaxy Trucker (so much fun, you literally build a space ship out of a pile of spare parts)

Dixit (nice creative game for people who don't like traditional board games)

Cyclades (played twice, sort of like risk but more fun)

Samurai (great game if you like the tactical elements of old-school board games like chess)

They're all pretty different, oddly enough.

I liked dixit a lot. highly recommended

• 2 weeks later...

I bought Android: Netrunner on the weekend and I'm loving it. 2 player deck building game with a Cyperpunk theme with obvious references to Gibson and PKD. One plays the Corporation who's trying to push agendas and one plays the Runner who's trying to hack into the Corp's servers to steal those agendas. Deep game with tons of re-playability.

To make Go more enticing, I'll explain it a bit more. It's an ancient game originating in China about 4,000 years ago. Like chess, there's no chance element like dice or anything along those lines. Rather, two players take turns placing stones on the intersections of lines on a 19x19 grid (usually, black vs. white). The object of the game is to surround as much territory (the number of "points", or intersections of lines) as possible. The player who does this wins.

Even thought the mechanics of the game are ultimately very logical, there is a lot of psychology involved in playing. Due to its complexity, it's one of the "final frontiers" for artificial intelligence research. Unlike chess, the best go playing programs cannot defeat the best professional human players. That might change in a few years, but it's something that go players love to point out about the game. Me, I just like playing, and I don't really give a shit if a computer can beat me.

I was introduced to the game by my logic professor in grad school. Before that I was really into Pente, which is an Americanized variant of Go-Moku (a child's variant of Go). I still like Pente, but Go really takes the cake for involving, surprising and challenging games, for me.

How strong are you? I'm 1kyu seems like forever.
Not nearly that strong. I only play casually (once a week at our club meetings), and I'm stuck at around 8k. I'd like to study more seriously, but I can't right now.

• 1 year later...

My wife and I got Carcassonne for Christmas and have become slightly addicted. It was her birthday last week so we treated ourselves to the traders and builders pack. The game works really well as a 2 player, but I can see the tactics we have built up being useless if you had 4+ players