IGNORED

Scintilli - Reactions

Guest ruiagnelo

Guest sirch

it doesn't suck but it seems like electronica muzak for people over 40 to eat cheese and drink wine to on the veranda while their kids play in the garden.

it's kinda ball-less,clean/sterile and not very daring or memorable

if an unknown/unsigned artist posted this on bandcamp i really wonder how much attention it would gleam

Yikes!

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it doesn't suck but it seems like electronica muzak for people over 40 to eat cheese and drink wine to on the veranda while their kids play in the garden.

if an unknown/unsigned artist posted this on bandcamp i really wonder how much attention it would gleam

Yikes!

good point... :)

Guest sirch

I think a lot of the tracks have balls. especially live! and it's much deeper than they give it credit for, too. it could've been a lot more stripped-back and minimal... but i'm glad it wasn't. - there's just a much detail/goings on as in all their other albums i reckon.. except there's no taks or little 'phil' tracks inbetween the longer tracks, a bit like Spokes... that was just 10 tracks, bish bash bosh, done! :)

leaves you yearning for old Plaid? :) Well, Plaid is always old and new at the same time. It just needs ears, to catch the two in them.

Besides, it s a bit unfair to always expect the "best" from any artist anyways. cause your best may and should mean sth else for them.

Once again.. took the words out my mouth!

:)

Yikes, you should stop yearning and start learning to appreciate what Plaid have accomplished since Double Figure.. they're still way ahead!

Guest SampleScience

i tried hard to love this album but it leaves me cold and yearning for old plaid.

imho it pales in comparison to rust proof clock/not for 3's and double figure.

they have regressed and just became uninspired

it just seems like they were going thru the motions and were not digging deep on any level at all.

Some of the tracks grows on you after repeating listenning. But I hear you, the older stuff was much better indeed.

Guest sirch

Yikes, you should stop yearning and start learning to appreciate what Plaid have accomplished since Double Figure.. they're still way ahead!

this is true. they've done a lot in the last 10 years or so. more than most! and they still continue to do gigs as well.

BoC and Aphex Twin should/could take a leaf out of Plaid's book.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest sirch

do you know what? i might be a little drunk and suffering from heat stroke, but i bloody LOVE Scintilli! :D

it really did take a while to grow on me... like most Plaid albums do, actually! funny that.

maybe it's not the best album in terms of its flow, as an album, if you know what i mean. it doesn't flow like Spanners, that's for sure, BUT .. it really works if you think of it as just a soundtrack. a Plaid soundtrack. for Warp. it fucking KICKS! and it's as deep as Hell...!!! and it's bloody dirty, too. the beats and melodioes mght be clean and precise, but those bases do fucking growl and vibrate, and those kicks kick ARSE!!!! :D

Guest sirch

..saying think of it as just a soundtrack, that's not to take anything away from it, or soundtracks...

it's just a very varied album. the mood shifts and changes a lot. with every track. like a soundtrack.

it's fucking majestic, though, too. with those vocals and choir-like, heavenly tones... then it's dark again... and cheeky. fuck yeah..!!

Plaid.

fucking masters!

:beer:

Guest sirch

i agree. it s a pretty decent album and still has a lot to give, i think. still keeps mysteries for me ;)

every time i listen to it it gets better. no shit.

and you really do have to listen to it as loud as possible, i would recommend that.

because you can hear a lot more going on (obviously) when it's played at loud volume.

it is like a bit of a jigsaw, though. as the cover artwork suggests. - abstracted tangents and angles a plenty!

i agree. it s a pretty decent album and still has a lot to give, i think. still keeps mysteries for me ;)

every time i listen to it it gets better. no shit.

and you really do have to listen to it as loud as possible, i would recommend that.

because you can hear a lot more going on (obviously) when it's played at loud volume.

it is like a bit of a jigsaw, though. as the cover artwork suggests. - abstracted tangents and angles a plenty!

loud? well i dont know! i just have 2-3 pairs of earphones and i hear different stuff through each one of them from the same f'cki' track, so,,,,, :P

but yeah, loud works good for Scintilli... it definitely does :) there s a lot of layers, made up of clean sounds (mostly), so yeah, volume serves as kind of a light, to see deeper into that cube, yes. ?

but speaking of "loud", it serves best for their "avidya", for me! :)

Yeah, louder the better! like i've said before, Scintilli sounds like it's been designed for the club or large set for large rooms.. so play it hard and loud!

Plaidedmate you really need to buy a home system, amp, speakers (8inchs+) ect.. it scares me that so many people are only listening to music through a mp3 player and plugin ear phones.. you're all messing out on so much natural reflecting sound and dynamics.

Guest sirch

Plaidedmate you really need to buy a home system, amp, speakers (8inchs+) ect.. it scares me that so many people are only listening to music through a mp3 player and plugin ear phones.. you're all messing out on so much natural reflecting sound and dynamics.

Definitely!

well i also got a 4+1 speaker system, but the walls of my flat are really thin and my neighbour likes to hit the wall with sth like a broom, whenever i make noise in my flat, so,,,,

no luck :S

earphones are good earphones are good, i m ok with them... :)

Yeah I'd love to live in a place where I could blast (well, play acceptedly loud anyway) music from speakers. I want to be able to physically feel releases like the Hafler Trio/Ae DVD, or Richard Chartier's works in a way that even good headphones can't quite manage...

Guest sirch

you just hear and notice so much more going on within tracks when you play it loud, than you would do on head/earphones, innit. :)

good headphones are good, especially when producing/mixing, but it's (Scintilli) a very different experience listening loud on a decent system. same with most musics, but especially daz idmz/electronicaz.

you just hear and notice so much more going on within tracks when you play it loud, than you would do on head/earphones, innit. :)

good headphones are good, especially when producing/mixing, but it's (Scintilli) a very different experience listening loud on a decent system. same with most musics, but especially daz idmz/electronicaz.

yes but the problem with "loud" speakers is that it gets you tired more quickly, to play loud music for an hour or so, i mean. whereas with the earphones, everything is easier and comfy. (except for the auditory tract infection)

hey, btw Sirch, werent you the one who said, the lousy sound quality of Plaid tork radio mix, was just so fiiiiine? ahaha,

Guest sirch

hey, btw Sirch, werent you the one who said, the lousy sound quality of Plaid tork radio mix, was just so fiiiiine? ahaha,

yeah, probably. :)

but this isn't about quality of files. this is about playback.

the Tork radio crappy MP3's were all we had and all there is out there. so it's fine enough.

i never said it was excellent, superb, best there is quality! ? just that it was alright.

but yeah this is quite funny. anal audiophiles with shitty headphones.. and people who aren't that bothered, but with awesome home systems. hahaha, oh the irony and contradiction!!

maybe we should swap? lol

hm well no i dont so much care, if i hear the music, it s just fine for me!

and yeah if it s gonna be loud, this should be playing,, not tracks from Scintilli:

[media=]

[/media]

and this

-_-

• 2 weeks later...

Lived in a semi-detached house all my life so i play my music pretty much how i want. Even though i've had many complaints from neighbours over the years.. it's still worth it :)

I've always used paper cone speakers instead of plastic. Much more of a natural sound and doesn't get tiring.. can listen to my sound system all day long and won't get tired!

yeah, probably. :)

but this isn't about quality of files. this is about playback.

the Tork radio crappy MP3's were all we had and all there is out there. so it's fine enough.

i never said it was excellent, superb, best there is quality! ? just that it was alright.

but yeah this is quite funny. anal audiophiles with shitty headphones.. and people who aren't that bothered, but with awesome home systems. hahaha, oh the irony and contradiction!!

maybe we should swap? lol

Horses for courses, some music sounds better played crisp and clean and some dirty and atmospheric.

It's right though, so many anal audiophiles that only listen to music with mp3 players, and so many bass heads with large home sound systems that haven't a clue about music :)

Archived