IGNORED

Recommend me some good production headphones

Guest The Bro

I do the same... For detailed edits headphones act like a magnifying glass, but both headphones and monitors are essential. Multiple pairs of headphones (some shitty as well) can help to balance a mix by colouring the sound differently and potentially revealing weaknesses. If your mix sounds good through a lot of different gear then chances are it is good!

Same, that's basically how I tweak my mixes at the final stage--lots of comparisons between different pairs of headphones, monitors and at least one pair of shitboxes

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Off topic, funny discovery some friends and I made last week.

AKG K701's I believe.. plugged into a focusrite sapphire and or a mackie headphone output==extremely underpowered, no bass at all. Which is what you'd expect.

Plugged into the headphone jack on the back of my mac mini==absolutely, totally fine.

• 3 months later...
Guest Promo

I would never use headphones for production.

I agree but I'm using an Ipod Touch during the day so it makes it a little tricky doing it otherwise lol.

Using a set of headphones during production is great, in my experience, but only as a secondary reference point. I can't imagine using only headphones...which brings me to this question. Promo - you're doing writing on an iPod Touch? Using what program, I'm quite curious.Also, I use a set of Sennhesiser HD 595s. They were a gift, so I'm not sure how they sound in comparison to other headphones, but I like them. They're comfy as can be, but aren't really of the portable style because of it.

I use Beatmaker 2 and its an absolutely beast!! I haven't yet upgraded to the lastest update but I'm doing that tonight. The new version has more automation and now swing. You load up your own samples in it and sequence as many tracks as your Ipod Touch will allow. You can also sync it with other IOS Devices via Korg Wist as well as virtual midi within the Ipod Touch itself. For the right price I'm considering getting another Ipod Touch just for fun so I can have two running in sync. Seriously people totally underrate making music on IOS!! If you wanna know me feel free to pm me.

I've been producing with headphones for 10 years or so, I'm comfortable with it :)

Only problem I've had is that most systems don't have the same LOW bass response and it has ruined some tracks...

Only problem I've had is that most systems don't have the same LOW bass response and it has ruined some tracks...

Don't have the same as in - they're flat phones so you boosted the sub bass to compensate and the bass now completely overwhelms the mix when played on a hifi, or they accentuate the sub bass so sound like there's no low end when played back on the speakers ?

My housemate bought some phones for DJing recently and I thought I was going to be sick with how much the bass was boosted, you could hardly hear anything else in the mix - they absolutely dreadful (I didn't have the heart to tell him though - he seemed happy enough with them)

Don't have the same as in - they're flat phones so you boosted the sub bass to compensate and the bass now completely overwhelms the mix when played on a hifi, or they accentuate the sub bass so sound like there's no low end when played back on the speakers ?

My housemate bought some phones for DJing recently and I thought I was going to be sick with how much the bass was boosted, you could hardly hear anything else in the mix - they absolutely dreadful (I didn't have the heart to tell him though - he seemed happy enough with them)

They are pretty accurate, so I think I can pull off the incredibly low tones but then the subs just choke and don't do anything.

Guest Promo

I think I've discovered just from testing out a number of headphones that the audio coming out of my Ipod Touch is terrible - I mean really bad. So my options are the following:

1. Upgrade my Ipod Touch 3rd gen to perhaps 4th (hopefully the analogue out is a cleaner brighter signal)

2. Go half digital and half analogue by using a special line out adapter and then plugging in analogue headphones. My favourite I tried were the Urbanears Headphones and I have to say I was impressed and they're only £40. They block out external noise very well and the frequency response right across the board was quite satisfying.

3. The last option is to go totally digital and get some bluetooth headphones and that way I would be getting the purest of signals so would be very good for production. The problem with that route is they're not cheap and it seems again one has to fork out somewhere in the region of £150 for a decent pair.

In conclusion I think the more I look into it the more I'm beginning to see massive massive short comings of analogue signals in general. It seems we're very much in the dark ages with this stuff.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ryanmcallister

I think I've discovered just from testing out a number of headphones that the audio coming out of my Ipod Touch is terrible - I mean really bad. So my options are the following:

1. Upgrade my Ipod Touch 3rd gen to perhaps 4th (hopefully the analogue out is a cleaner brighter signal)

2. Go half digital and half analogue by using a special line out adapter and then plugging in analogue headphones. My favourite I tried were the Urbanears Headphones and I have to say I was impressed and they're only £40. They block out external noise very well and the frequency response right across the board was quite satisfying.

3. The last option is to go totally digital and get some bluetooth headphones and that way I would be getting the purest of signals so would be very good for production. The problem with that route is they're not cheap and it seems again one has to fork out somewhere in the region of £150 for a decent pair.

In conclusion I think the more I look into it the more I'm beginning to see massive massive short comings of analogue signals in general. It seems we're very much in the dark ages with this stuff.

or...

4. Stop using toys to try to make music.

Lol just giving you a hard time buddy.

what the sweet sweating jesus are you on about promo?

I'm beginning to see massive massive short comings of analogue signals in general. It seems we're very much in the dark ages with this stuff.

lol

• 1 year later...

Sorry to necropost, but there seem to be lots of threads on this subject and this one seemed as good as any other (plus it originally ended on a particularly bizarre note).

Most headphones I've tried sound really bloated to me, the bass is too powerful and although I appreciate it if it's clear, it's kind of distracting. So what would you recommend? I'm looking for comfortable, closed, headphones with a reasonably even response, not too murky and especially not too bassy.

Guest skibby

7506 = closed and the bass rolls off at 50hz. but the stereo image ain't so great. for that, try the beyerdynamic dt880 (open) the 880 almost has no bass to speak of so you might like. but if you have ears bigger than a spoon, or a pointy head, they will be uncomfortable to wear for 8 hours.

Most headphones I've tried sound really bloated to me, the bass is too powerful and although I appreciate it if it's clear, it's kind of distracting. So what would you recommend? I'm looking for comfortable, closed, headphones with a reasonably even response, not too murky and especially not too bassy.

If closed phones are definitely a necessity I suggest the AKG K271 mkII, though I highly recommend (if you can stretch that far and don't mind them being open) the superior AKG K702. Though both are reeeaaaallly comfortable, and are flat as flat can be. Big fan of the AKGs

I use Koss portapros. sure their frequency response isn't flat, but I haven't made a final mix on them yet that I was later unpleasantly surprised hearing it on another speaker system. Earlier this year I took one of my tracks to my brother's studio for him to sing on, professional grade equipment with nearfield monitors and all, and the instrumental mix sounded just as expected it to sound.

What helped me get to this point, and it took some years, was for me to know my bass. Reading up and experimenting with eq frequencies, panning, stereo field placements helped.

Also if you prefer mixing with headphones, I learned to stay away from certain quick and simple stereo widening effects that although they sound like they are giving your instrument sound a 3D thickness to them, they'll ultimately cancel out when played through mono systems.

Maybe I have a confirmation bias in regards to the earlier comments mentioning that it's more about your ears adapting to the equipment you use and that these days a lot of people prefer listening to their music on personal devices through headphones, but I think there is truth to those comments.

RolldaBeats man! Yeah, coz liek dey were designed by Dr Dre yeah and Lady Gaga wears dem so dey must be good innit yeah?!?!?!?! And ermagerd so does Jeeeerseeerrnnnn Beeerrrbeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EEErmageeeeeeeeerrrdddd!!!beiber.bmp

Sorry to necropost, but there seem to be lots of threads on this subject and this one seemed as good as any other (plus it originally ended on a particularly bizarre note).

I needed a new headphones a couple of months ago and picked these up SHURE SRH840 : http://www.shure.com/americas/products/earphones-headphones/headphones/srh840-professional-monitoring-headphones Was also considering ATH-M50 but the bass on those was a bit too much for my taste. Was also tempted by Sony MDR7506, might pick them up as my second pair.

Archived