IGNORED

Recommend me some good production headphones

Guest The Bro

I think I've discovered just from testing out a number of headphones that the audio coming out of my Ipod Touch is terrible - I mean really bad. So my options are the following:

1. Upgrade my Ipod Touch 3rd gen to perhaps 4th (hopefully the analogue out is a cleaner brighter signal)

2. Go half digital and half analogue by using a special line out adapter and then plugging in analogue headphones. My favourite I tried were the Urbanears Headphones and I have to say I was impressed and they're only £40. They block out external noise very well and the frequency response right across the board was quite satisfying.

3. The last option is to go totally digital and get some bluetooth headphones and that way I would be getting the purest of signals so would be very good for production. The problem with that route is they're not cheap and it seems again one has to fork out somewhere in the region of £150 for a decent pair.

In conclusion I think the more I look into it the more I'm beginning to see massive massive short comings of analogue signals in general. It seems we're very much in the dark ages with this stuff.

200x200px-ZC-49f9624a_276253_papel-de-pa

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

i want to save up for some REALLY nice headphones for making toons. i was thinking Sennheiser HD 25-1 II ...

what should i do? good enough? i could probably spend like a few hundred.... i don't want to buy like a thousand dollar headphones though.. i don't have great monitors (YET?) so it's important to me

edit: i own a pair of akg k240s

which i like

Last year I bought some Focal Spirit Professional to complement/constrast my monitors : closed headphones, neutral, pretty good low and mids, muffled highs though, nice dynamics.

I moved to a new town/flat and can't work on monitors now (too bad acoustics and too small room to treat acoustically), so I bought a second set of headphones to contrasts the Focal hehe...

I went for AKG K702, and really love them : open headphones so quite open sounding, neutral and accurate, shy but useful lows, great mids, much more precise in the highs, great dynamics... they kinda remind me of my monitors (APS Coax).

I feel like having two sets of "opposite sounding" cans will help a lot to get some great sounding mixes that translate nicely... without my beloved monitors.

About Q701 : I've read many times that they sound exactly like K701/702 with the reversible bass mod. I haven't tried it yet.

I'm also considering to eventually buy the memory foam pads from the K702 65th anniversary edition, which change the sound quite a bit. It'd be like having another set of great cans for cheap.

I've always bought and used Sennheiser in the past, but switched to Beyer DT150 and that's it, the search has ended - I literally can't imagine how they could be bettered in any way - tonal balance, detail, comfort, isolation, mix translation, power handling, build quality, you name it.

I even think they look brilliant

106846.jpg

Sennheiser HD25 are absolutely terrible, btw

which i like

In which case I suggest just going up a model, if you can afford it do like I did when I wanted to upgrade to the 240s and moved to the k701 (though I think they're now called k702 and have a detachable headphone cable)

I'm just using the Monoprice closed ear. They're fantastic for the price but they do weird things at mid frequencies, like the plastic shell resonates along with the speakers or something. I have a pair of battered AKG 240s that I need to replace the cable on. I'm not satisfied with the bass of either of these and I want to pick something up in the $150-$300 range that has precise, accurate bass. Maybe I should just upgrade my monitors though (Rokit RP5)

which i like

In which case I suggest just going up a model, if you can afford it do like I did when I wanted to upgrade to the 240s and moved to the k701 (though I think they're now called k702 and have a detachable headphone cable)

good advice. thanks pete

as i probably already stated, i ditched my 200 euro dt880's (which have no bass at all) in favor of the 30 euro superlux hd681 which have tons of bass extension.

i can wear them for an hour before my ears get uncomfortable, unlike the dt880s which touch like all the edges of my ear which irritated me. i couldnt sell them so i just gave them away, i hated the beyers, i wont buy any more headphones from them as all their headphones seem to have been made back when the human ear was smaller. the superlux may be a ripoff of the akg's but the build quality is by far more intelligent and advanced than the beyers, which employ this really boring vinyl buttoned pillow around a vice grip of a headband.

of course since fake shill richard in the fake interview touts the sonys, i get a vague gear erection to part with cash.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/superlux-hd-681

443937d1311120432-review-superlux-hd-681

the reversible bass mod. I haven't tried it yet.

I'm also considering to eventually buy the memory foam pads from the K702 65th anniversary edition, which change the sound quite a bit. It'd be like having another set of great cans for cheap.

Good info, thanks! Happy K701 owner here, but more bass sounds lovely.

Seriously, I've had these cans for years and while I've become accustomed to their sound I always have to finalize my mix on monitors to check the low-end. Will probably check out these mods some time this week. Thanks lin!

Just did that first mod. It's nothing to be scared of, took about 5 min. I really like the results. The hype was pretty strong on this one so at first it seemed too subtle. But it's definitely fuller and more immediate.

Here's a youtube to show you how to get to the foam. I used a tweezers instead of a scissors to remove the grille.

Definitely not. Recommended. Stayed up way too late listening to flacs. There's definitely a dB or two more bass but the biggest difference for me is how punchy and immediate it sounds. I thought they were a little "floaty" before. Anyway, lovely mod, they should have shipped like this imo.

Just did that first mod. It's nothing to be scared of, took about 5 min. I really like the results. The hype was pretty strong on this one so at first it seemed too subtle. But it's definitely fuller and more immediate.

Here's a youtube to show you how to get to the foam. I used a tweezers instead of a scissors to remove the grille.

i just watched that 5 times and i cant tell what the hands are doing.

Archived