IGNORED

New AFX Interview (September 2011)

Guest Doom

Page 3:

So how many new recordings do you have ?

quite a lot. Since recently I'm holding them back, and do not present them, because by nature I don't like to

blow out fresh stuff, and rather want it to settle a bit. Seriously - if something innovative comes out today, it often gets old

very quickly.

I remember the story, when you lost a harddisk on a plane, with 200 recordings.

Ppl said I was lying. They didn't believe me, but thats what happened.

It sounded so absurd, that I believed you.

My best friend [sir] Grant Wilson-Clardige, who is running rephlex, was sitting on the car next to me. I had that disk -

actually it was an old mp3 player, one of the very first - with me.

He hadn't seen such device before. I was showing it to him and said: All my recordings fit in here. I thought he would be

impressed, but instead he said to me: You will lose it, probably. A moment later, I lost it. Fortunately those recordings

never made it to the internet. And if this wasn't enough bad luck, the device was clearly labeled: Aphex Twin, unreleased

tracks. Though many weeks I was living with the hope, that the finder would be a rock fan, who would't know who I am.

By the way: Rock. On the European Congress of Culture you have company: The sister project related to the same piece of Penderecki is going to be realized by Jonny Greenwood from Radiohead. You once stated, that you do not like this band too much.

Thats a fact, but recently I contacted Thom York though the internet. I told him: Do not believe everything you read on the newspapers.

So did you bury the hatchet ?

My opinion towards my demotivation with radiohead was exaggerated.

Your few appearances on the media lead to a wide echo with everything you say.

Yeah there's something to it. But I really don't recall what exactly I said. Usually I don't pay attention, so I probably maneuvered

like this: "Hate this fucking Radiohead", or something in that manner.

Long ago you released recordings from the BBC Radiophonic Workshop via Rephlex.

Today there's much rush around releases from experimental studios - are you follow those efforts ?

I'm a big fan, and I buy everything that comes out. Recently the album from Daphne Oram, who created a whole system

of 'oramics' to establish notation for electronic music. A friend of mine had a original 'oramics' machine, I wanted to buy it

from him, but actually what would I use it for, at the moment ?I would sit in the garage all the time, trying to fix it. And so it was bought and staged at the Science Museum, restored and running, so I 'm glad it ended this way.

In Poland there's also a studio in Warsaw putting out music, you should have a listen.

Absolutely. Write it down on this card. Do you know Ursula Bogner (lives up). Incredible story. Fascinating if true.

A guy I know Djs and has as well a label, reissuing old electronic music. So this guy sits down next to a stranger in the car,

and starts talking about music. That other guy replies: My mom used to fiddle around with electronic music. And it turns out, that, at home, he has the whole archive of his mother, who was a pharmaceutist, but for 20 years was recording experimental music, as a hobby. Turns out, that her music was top notch.

So what about this graphical music notation - didn't you think about using it, when you were going through Pendereckie's

score.

Actually I will use it. Catches my idea for Pendereckie's "Polimorfie" - because for my purposes, I need the hole piece

rewritten from the end .

Ever thought about notation for your own pieces ?

Yes, but it makes no sense, if people either way do it for you, if they want to use the piece. On the other hand, if you work

on a computer or a sequencer or some other device, the notation is created automatically, in the form of figures.

Only if you work with old analog gear, modular synthesizers, notation begins to become obligatory.

Musician like you and educated composers are treated differently.

Sure there is potential. ppl often do not treat us seriously when the pieces are not performed by an orchestra. But I don't

care, because orchestras what to play my stuff live. And thats what counts for me, and it is a marvelous feeling by the way,

when I went with squarepusher to a concert with London Symphony, we sat around, and boom they play us. Superb thing.

So back then, I was thinking, maybe this is what I should do: writing for orchestra. Then I realized, that I care a lot about

controlling every single element, in this case, it would be impossible. I like the whole process of creating electronic music:

writing, performing, recording, mixing - and when you finished, you can say, you did it all by yourself.

aphex_twin_interview_poland_September_2011.html

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

its ok to like radiohead again everyone

lol

great interview, he obviously feels more able to answer questions seriously when its not published in English,

thanks for the translate schlucharski

Page 3:

My best friend [sir] Grant Wilson-Clardige, who is running rephlex, was sitting on the car next to me. I had that disk -

He hadn't seen such device before. I was showing it to him and said: All my recordings fit in here. I thought he would be

impressed, but instead he said to me: You will lose it, probably. A moment later, I lost it. Fortunately those recordings

never made it to the internet. And if this wasn't enough bad luck, the device was clearly labeled: Aphex Twin, unreleased

tracks. Though many weeks I was living with the hope, that the finder would be a rock fan, who would't know who I am.

In Poland there's also a studio in Warsaw putting out music, you should have a listen.

Absolutely. Write it down on this card. Do you know Ursula Bogner (lives up). Incredible story. Fascinating if true.

A guy I know Djs and has as well a label, reissuing old electronic music. So this guy sits down next to a stranger in the car,

and starts talking about music. That other guy replies: My mom used to fiddle around with electronic music. And it turns out, that, at home, he has the whole archive of his mother, who was a pharmaceutist, but for 20 years was recording experimental music, as a hobby. Turns out, that her music was top notch.

Samolocie means a plane, not a car, that's a big difference. You usually meet the strangers sitting next to you, and tell them many stories. :wink:

Page 3:

Samolocie means a plane, not a car, that's a big difference. You usually meet the strangers sitting next to you, and tell them many stories. :wink:

yes, thanks & sorry, I was reading smochodzie, which means car, I have never seen those words before as I left the country 28 years ago, but I'm convinced that the translation is still accurate enough.

Archived