IGNORED

9/11/01, ten years later.

Guest KY

i didn't find out til september 14th

i was living in a tiny caravan in the forest south of amsterdam with no tv and no internet, and i was off sick from work.

i turned on AM talk radio the night of the 14th (one of the few english-language radio stations i could get). very much a wtf moment.

Shit, I wish I could go to that same forest right now...but not before a hash run in the city :emotawesomepm9:

10km mostly through the forest on a bike. all flat, naturally.

i used love living there.

well there's one hill, avoid the hill (slope thing)

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I guess because I like putting myself in uncomfortable situations, I am watching a two-hour documentary on 9/11 (102 Minutes That Changed America) that first appeared on the History Channel. All first-hand footage. Pretty upsetting footage, especially now that I've lived in New York for a little more than two years now.
After living here, I definitely have a much more solemn take on the event than I did when I watched it happen from my English classroom as a freshman in high school. As much as conspiracy theories run rampant, there's no denying how much of a gamechanger this was for American culture and the international political atmosphere. So, two days from the ten-year-reunion...where were you guys when you saw this shit happen? How did it affect you, personally or not? I'm not starting this thread as a conspiratorial pot-stirring session, but don't let that stop you from voicing your opinion on that too.

this thing is on History Channel HD right now if you're on the west coast.

I guess because I like putting myself in uncomfortable situations, I am watching a two-hour documentary on 9/11 (102 Minutes That Changed America) that first appeared on the History Channel. All first-hand footage. Pretty upsetting footage, especially now that I've lived in New York for a little more than two years now. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSlDchQqXS4 After living here, I definitely have a much more solemn take on the event than I did when I watched it happen from my English classroom as a freshman in high school. As much as conspiracy theories run rampant, there's no denying how much of a gamechanger this was for American culture and the international political atmosphere. So, two days from the ten-year-reunion...where were you guys when you saw this shit happen? How did it affect you, personally or not? I'm not starting this thread as a conspiratorial pot-stirring session, but don't let that stop you from voicing your opinion on that too.

this thing is on History Channel HD right now if you're on the west coast.

That's a good documentary to recommend, the only other one I ever watched (start to finish) was this one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9/11_%28film%29

http://books.zcommun...rc-c02-s14.html

A methodological point is perhaps worth mention. Suppose that we were to concoct a theory about historical events at random, while permitting ourselves to assume arbitrary forms of deceit and falsification. Then in the vast documentary record, we are sure to find scattered hints and other debris that could be made to conform to the theory, while counter-evidence is nullified. By that method, one can "prove" virtually anything. For example, we can prove that JFK never intended to withdraw any troops, citing the elusiveness of NSAM 263 and his unwillingness to commit himself to the withdrawal recommended by his war managers. Or we can prove that the attempt to assassinate Reagan was carried out by dark forces (Alexander Haig, the CIA, etc.). After all, Reagan had backed away from using US forces directly in Central America (unlike JFK in Vietnam); he was cozying up to the Chicoms; he had already given intimations of the anti-nuclear passion that led him to offer to give away the store at Rejkjavik and to join forces with the arch-fiend Gorbachev, whose perestroika was a transparent plot to entrap us; his associates were planning off-the-shelf international operations, bypassing intelligence and the Pentagon. Obviously, he has to go. Or suppose there had been an attempt to assassinate LBJ in late 1964, when he was refusing the call of the military to stand up to the Commies in Vietnam, pursuing Great Society and civil rights programs with a zeal well beyond Kennedy, and about to defeat a real alternative, Barry Goldwater. Nothing is easier than to construct a high-level conspiracy to get rid of this "radical reformer." The task is only facilitated by a search for nuances and variations of phrasing in the mountains of documents, usually committee jobs put together hastily with many compromises.

This is not the way to learn about the world.

that's a beautiful quote, and I'm not much of a Chomsky fan.

http://motherboard.tv/2011/9/9/it-s-too-quiet-the-eerie-morning-tv-of-9-11

Can't figure out a way to embed this, but it's worth a watch. Compilation of morning show headlines and news features the morning of 9/11. Surreal stuff.

Archived