IGNORED

Finally, the wait is over...

logakght

FL Studio on a Mac? Beta testers wanted.

We are currently testing a version of FL Studio that runs natively on Mac. No need for Windows or Boot Camp. We need Beta Testers! If you are an experienced FL Studio user (with a registered copy) AND have access to a Mac, please click on the image above (image from email) and apply to get a copy of FL Studio for Mac and start testing.

I don't have any hardware or synth and I really can't buy any of that, so the only thing I got is my computer, and now I can change to a mac at last (yeah, the only reason I didn't wanted to buy a Mac is because it can't run FL Studio natively)... This is my best day in the week!

Ssucsid.

yeah I've seen that the other day. it's cool for those on the mac waiting for fruity loops. honestly, I think that everyone who bought a mac knew they would not have any fruity... it's just a surprise for everyone it seems.

I've messed with fruity loops waaaay back in the days, I had fun with it.... but honestly, I won't go back to it.

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

Macs will never be relevant to me but Congrats. I recently got Fruity Loops 10. I am interested to see how it's changed since I used for like 5 months in 2002.

Pretty exciting news, but something to be taken with a pinch of salt.

This isn't a dedicated build of FLStudio designed with the soul purpose of running on a mac. It's Image Line collaborating with an emulation style company, building a shell for FLStudio to run within on a mac.

It's really interesting and I'm excited to see how well it works. But I imagine a long testing period, all manner of bugs, and an increased load of your CPU. I'm also very curious to see how installing VSTs will work with this, or indeed, exactly what plugin format it'll use.

looking forward to giving it a go, but it does look like a bit of a bodge job. Upshot hopefully will be that if there's enough of a response they may consider making a proper conversion further down the line, fingers crossed.

Anyways, kinda saw this coming when they released that incredibly mediocre IPad version.

In other news, the new synth/sampler/weird thingy they've announced looks pretty cool.

Guest ryanmcallister

like techdiff said, could be a little early to get excited. i actually purchased crossover for mac (the company that is working on this "wrapper") which lets you run windows software without any separate operating system partitions or anything like that. one of the main reasons i got this was to try running fl studio 9 on the mac, which i did successfully (on snow leopard). everything seemed to work as it should but the whole thing just felt dirty, like i was hacking something and there had to be something hidden under the hood that wasn't connected right or whatever. in the end i ended up removing it, but am still anxious for a potential mac os x release of fl studio. i'd just wait and see how it seems to work before i get too excited.

yeah, tried crossover before with FLoops - doesn't work anywhere near properly...not sure what you tried to do with it, but it's basically not useable through crossover...by far the easiest way to use FLoops on a Mac currently is to Bootcamp it and just install Windows - it's really easy to do, only thing is you need to get hold of a copy of Windows from somewhere...

Mac users are waiting for frooty? I don't understand this, has it improved drastically over the last few versions?

yeah, tried crossover before with FLoops - doesn't work anywhere near properly...not sure what you tried to do with it, but it's basically not useable through crossover...by far the easiest way to use FLoops on a Mac currently is to Bootcamp it and just install Windows - it's really easy to do, only thing is you need to get hold of a copy of Windows from somewhere...

Yep this ^

I tried a bunch of different options, Bootcamp, Parallels, VMWare, bootcamp wins over, by a long way. The only thing to be cautious of is that for some reason that I don't fully understand , not all Macs can provide full support for firewire devices when running XP. Bit of a problem when like me you're using a firewire sound card. Still, got an old USB one fired up and it works fantastic.

Yeah the new version of FL is pretty fkn impressive, it's not for everyone, of course. Indeed Mac users do have a good selection of DAW's to choose from, but FL does offer up a work flow and feature set quite different from the others. It is pretty unique, and making that available to a perviously unreachable user base is never a bad thing.

Of course there's also the market that I fit into, someone who uses FL (and other win applications) but wants a Mac in order to have access to all the OS X exclusive software, like Logic for example. While FL on OS X might not be of much interest to people already using Macs, it's almost certainly enough of an incentive to convert a fair few.

The only thing to be cautious of is that for some reason that I don't fully understand , not all Macs can provide full support for firewire devices when running XP. Bit of a problem when like me you're using a firewire sound card. Still, got an old USB one fired up and it works fantastic.

hm via bootcamp you have a boot menu, when u independently boot up xp or whatever? If yes there should be some mainboard drivers from the manufacturer (foxconn, or whoever made it), you tried those ?

Yep this ^

I tried a bunch of different options, Bootcamp, Parallels, VMWare, bootcamp wins over, by a long way. The only thing to be cautious of is that for some reason that I don't fully understand , not all Macs can provide full support for firewire devices when running XP. Bit of a problem when like me you're using a firewire sound card. Still, got an old USB one fired up and it works fantastic.

Yeah the new version of FL is pretty fkn impressive, it's not for everyone, of course. Indeed Mac users do have a good selection of DAW's to choose from, but FL does offer up a work flow and feature set quite different from the others. It is pretty unique, and making that available to a perviously unreachable user base is never a bad thing.

Of course there's also the market that I fit into, someone who uses FL (and other win applications) but wants a Mac in order to have access to all the OS X exclusive software, like Logic for example. While FL on OS X might not be of much interest to people already using Macs, it's almost certainly enough of an incentive to convert a fair few.

i've always had really good luck running Fruity Loops on parallels running in OSx, the latency is much higher obviously but it's one of the only PC programs besides Cooledit that is 'light weight' enough to run in en emulated windows instead of a real bootcamp load

i pretty much exclusively used Fruity on the PC as a VSTi, if it doesn't have this feature i see almost no reason for getting excited about this. I can already run Fruity standalone pretty well on my Mac, i just can't load it as a VSTi in a host program

The only thing to be cautious of is that for some reason that I don't fully understand , not all Macs can provide full support for firewire devices when running XP. Bit of a problem when like me you're using a firewire sound card. Still, got an old USB one fired up and it works fantastic.

hm via bootcamp you have a boot menu, when u independently boot up xp or whatever? If yes there should be some mainboard drivers from the manufacturer (foxconn, or whoever made it), you tried those ?

Hmm, well when you install XP into a bootcamp partition, you;re instructed to insert the OS X disk in order to install all the required drivers. I did this of course, and everything else works perfectly.

The weird thing is that its not as though the firewire port doesn't work. It installed perfectly, detects that device is present, loads all the device panels (which it wouldn't do if it did not detect hardware connected) and everything else fine. But its as soon as you try to output anything through it, or use it in anyway. XP freezes completely, and I end up having to do a hard shutdown. From what I could read up on the manufacturers forum, its the same issue with more or less all users of firewire devices through bootcamp. I've tried numerous different versions of drivers, several windows updates and hot-fixes but without success.

I suppose there is the possibility that there is an updated firewire driver available which may solve the issue, any idea how I might go about figuring out which manufacturer made the firewire components of the laptop?

@Awepittance, when you're running FL in Parallels, are you able to use external sound devices, or only the built in sound card? The issue I kept running into was that I was unable to use either my firewire or USB interfaces, and as a result, completely unworkable latency.

As for the point about VST version. I would expect that they'll have some way of using FL as a plugin on OSX. It's been a part of the program for a very long time, would be surprised if they stopped including it now, especially while trying to market themselves to a whole new user base. Considering that they'll probably be keen to market FL to Mac users as something that can be easily integrated into their setups, I think it'd be pretty daft not to.

@Awepittance, when you're running FL in Parallels, are you able to use external sound devices, or only the built in sound card? The issue I kept running into was that I was unable to use either my firewire or USB interfaces, and as a result, completely unworkable latency.

i can do both, in theory it seems like if the soundcard works in your Mac OSX environment then, and paralells supports that particular soundcard (the ones ive tried are the Motu traveler mkII, an the digi Mbox) it should work. Its possible you have a soundcard that parallels does not support. Which one is it?

As for the point about VST version. I would expect that they'll have some way of using FL as a plugin on OSX. It's been a part of the program for a very long time, would be surprised if they stopped including it now, especially while trying to market themselves to a whole new user base. Considering that they'll probably be keen to market FL to Mac users as something that can be easily integrated into their setups, I think it'd be pretty daft not to.

good point, although i wouldn't be totally surprised if it wasn't implemented in the first iteration. I'm still a little stung about Melodyne being about 50% vaporware on their advertisments. The feature i was looking forward to most in the new DNA polyphonic tuning mode was being able to real-time play notes on the midi keyboard and retune stuff with live playing (essentially making it the most powerful vocoder ever made)

I might start using Fruity when I get a new pc.

what kind of pc are you using? it looked like mine in the photos you've posted and I have no trouble running whatever I'm throwing at it (unless it's games).

I suppose there is the possibility that there is an updated firewire driver available which may solve the issue, any idea how I might go about figuring out which manufacturer made the firewire components of the laptop?

Try this, its an diagnostic 'show me my hardware' application. Recommended by a friend, run it on any windows:

SiSoft Sandra Lite 2011 SP4c

(Can't post you a link as google gets me german links, and I'm so unable to set up 'only american content' used to be easy, now I cant find it)

Archived