IGNORED

Dear Aphex Twin

Guest hahathhat

Guest hahathhat

Dear Aphex Twin,

I've been a fan since ~1999, when I discovered amazing albums like ICBYD and Come To Daddy via the Internets. I was on-board to see Drukqs released, which was absolutely thrilling. The Analords took a few years, but they were lovely when they finally arrived. Since then, however, I feel things have gone downhill. I weathered years of radio silence patiently, simply because the Analords were worth the wait. Radio Silence was broken with The Tuss. While I love the few Tuss tracks you gave us, The Tuss was kind of a popcorn fart. It got me amped up for more Aphex.... which never arrived. I remember remarking around 2008 that the wait/reward ratio for The Tuss was somewhat akin to driving 100 miles for a spliff and a cold beer. Disappointment.

After lots more waiting came the Analord B-sides, most of which did not particularly excite me. It felt like, "I have these lying around, maybe I can make some cash." Irritation.

Rephlex seems to be sitting on releases I'm dying to hear, like Monolith's album "Welcome" (announced by Grant last March). There are technical problems with the store that seem to prevent some people from downloading the releases they've just paid for. I have to admit I largely blame you for this too. Even if it's Grant's fuck-up (or whoever), I see it as your label, and the buck stops with you.

Maybe I'd understand all this if you actually bothered to explain yourself, but you like to fuck around in interviews (most of which are not even in English). I want to give you the benefit of the doubt -- assume that you're toiling towards a proper release, or maybe that personal problems slowed you down a bit -- but I'm increasingly worried you simply don't give a fuck any more, that you're off in a hole of drug addiction, or something like that!

I know I shouldn't, but I take this personally. A lot us fans have this sort of a puppy-dog love for you, and your attitude can be very hurtful. It gradually embitters people, myself included. There's not much goodwill left to squander.

outright locking it this time, to prevent the childish BS that went down last time. i pity the people that consider showing warmth and love a sign of weakness.

Archived