IGNORED

Nevermind - 20 years ago...

goDel

i loved Nevermind when it came out. there's some brilliant, catchy, pop-rock songs on there and i think the songs and style at that time went well with Butch Vig's production. just like the Pumpkins 'Siamese Dream' sounded really good produced by Butch, too.

True, especially the SP track "Soma." But I think it's interesting to compare Albini's production on In Utero with Vig's, it does make some of Vig's multi-guitar track mixing seem utterly pointless on Nevermind.

at least it helped put an end to guns n roses hair/cock/spandex ego metal

true, even if grunge become appropriated and morphed into its own caricature, it at least killed the arena rockstar bullshit, or made it truly look like a joke

It is interesting that everybody says that Butch Vig made it sound the way it did when in fact it's Andy Wallace who is responsible for the slick sound. It's also something DGC did with Dirty by Sonic Youth.

I have been reading up about the deluxe edition they are planning and for the super deluxe there will be reference mixes done by Butch Vig. I'd be interested to hear those.

they say he was into "the cars" and looking into synths before his suicide. Thats what i heard. I dont know. But it bet he could have kept making great stuff

Edited by marf

in an ideal world daydream nation would have been the massive breakthrough thingy, but sonic youth couldn't make a record as concise or commercial. and actually i'm happy that they couldn't.

and i always like simon reynolds' stuff.

Edited by kaini

i have this cursed feeling of agreement with the statement in that article... in 20 years, who the hell is going to care about the White Stripes, Foo Fighters, Queens of the Stone Age, or any of that?

but what does it matter, really, who remembers what? different people will remember different things. quite postmodernist. I still can't help but experience the nagging sensation that the rave scene and electronic music of the 90s really was one of the most artistically important periods of time ever, and that the past 10 years do objectively pale in comparison.

in an ideal world daydream nation would have been the massive breakthrough thingy,

You know, it has never bothered me that nearly everything i have ever listened to never became mainstream. I still got to listen to it/absorb/throw away/move on to the next thing. Maybe if i had to deal with average people's tastes in music on a regular basis, it would then get a little depressing.

Guest capitan mission

I really like Nirvana, it was the first time that I become a "fanboy". Because of Nirvana or Kurt Cobain I discovered a lot of great music, it was my first love... the first love is always special. But viewing it now, manny years after, I still believe that they were a great rock band. I dont listen they records to much (I have overdoses in my teens) but when I put these music again, I find that is pretty good.

They stopped the hair metal that i really dislike, they were a not pretentious band, but with an artistic vision, In Utero is one of the finest raw rock records ever. Kurt Cobain death was sad (a dead like that is always sad) and I really think he was just starting in his art, I read an unreleased interview and he was talking about new interests in acoustic music, noise and samplers!

My favorite list is, I like every song in the 3 albums:

In Utero

Unplugged

Nevermind

in an ideal world daydream nation would have been the massive breakthrough thingy,

You know, it has never bothered me that nearly everything i have ever listened to never became mainstream. I still got to listen to it/absorb/throw away/move on to the next thing. Maybe if i had to deal with average people's tastes in music on a regular basis, it would then get a little depressing.

talking of things getting mainstream. i keep noticing kids like 12 or 13 bowling round in velvet underground and nico t shirts....

Edited by LUDD

talking of things getting mainstream. i keep noticing kids like 12 or 13 bowling round in velvet underground and nico t shirts....

Cool, maybe that means that oversize sunglasses will be making a comeback, i mean it's almost been 3 whole years since they were in.

actually it's probably just the latest trendy print at topshop like when trendy girls started rocking motorhead tops in the 90s

precisely, it was iron maiden and motorhead and venom a couple of years back.

i can't even get annoyed about it any more, it's pointless.

It is interesting that everybody says that Butch Vig made it sound the way it did when in fact it's Andy Wallace who is responsible for the slick sound. It's also something DGC did with Dirty by Sonic Youth.

I have been reading up about the deluxe edition they are planning and for the super deluxe there will be reference mixes done by Butch Vig. I'd be interested to hear those.

same here.

i have this cursed feeling of agreement with the statement in that article... in 20 years, who the hell is going to care about the White Stripes, Foo Fighters, Queens of the Stone Age, or any of that?

but what does it matter, really, who remembers what? different people will remember different things. quite postmodernist. I still can't help but experience the nagging sensation that the rave scene and electronic music of the 90s really was one of the most artistically important periods of time ever, and that the past 10 years do objectively pale in comparison.

i agree! the late 80's! -> up until about 2003. - approx. 15 years of awesomeness.

after 2003/4 most things have been rubbish and pale in comparison.

that magic's (mostly) gone, imho. but you still get some great stuff every now and again.

I remember getting pissed with me mates driving round with a car full singing Nirvana, Pearl Jam and Sound Garden with all our might out the windows..used to surf the car roof too.... happy days :)

from the Simon Reynolds article:

The retrospection feels rote, the predictable upshot of the way that commemorative cycles have become a structural, in-built component of the media and entertainment industry. This revival is largely top-down, not grass-roots.

One thing we can definitively say is that the screening of the classic Nirvana gig is an anti-event, a black hole in history.

Love this guy

Guest Shit Attack

think its a bit ironic to have a guy in the media writing an article about how the media is covering this particular topic too much. why say anything in that case (other than to make a few $$$) ? dont see wqhat the big deal about showing a film at a festival is exactly. if the premise is that people are so obsessed with the past they cant make anything new its a pretty shaky one. there was nothing new about nirvana in the first place. nirvana were ok tho but ultimately had a veeeery bad effect on music with the mainstreaming of all this self pitying emo junk thats basically their legacy( probably would have happened anyway).

helmet's singer is still alive and they were never hyped. got kind of popular but not hyped. imo just a better band, more in tune with the post-hardcore post-punk scene, and not having throngs of annoying teenagers associating with them for their image. just straight up ass kick hard metal, straight up music. if i hear someone listening to nirvana these days its pretty much, what a tool (most of the time its some dumb jock), if i hear helmet, its like, wow someone actually knows what the fuck is up.

Edited by hardcode