IGNORED

Monolake - Ghosts

Redruth

The thing with monolake is his sound design is amazing, but the music/composition itself rarely leaves me impressed. it feels "sterile", kind of like richard devine in that respect. I'm sure I'll like Ghosts a lot though

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The thing with monolake is his sound design is amazing, but the music/composition itself rarely leaves me impressed. it feels "sterile", kind of like richard devine in that respect. I'm sure I'll like Ghosts a lot though

Yeah its more about mastering and synthesis than great melodies.

Guest primusluta

Great melodies are overrated. Long live the third wave!!

Seriously though, melodies or not melodies, the soundplay on this is pretty incredible.

The thing with monolake is his sound design is amazing, but the music/composition itself rarely leaves me impressed.

Even with Momentum? Excentric is a masterpiece I think. Not sure I'll ever get bored of that track.

Few tracks in and Ghosts is good, already miles ahead of Silence which I despised... pretty much for the reason you said.

I agree that Monolake is a bit cold and sterile, it makes it hard to really love and enjoy all of his stuff. But Silence was really good, I loved the mysterious and ghostly atmosphere of it, so I`m interesting in buying this. Is it similar? Very good?

henke even admits this. i don't think there's anything wrong with that though...both monolake and richard devine work more with "sounds" than "music" so on that level it doesn't bother me how he likes to string them together. go back and listen to occam on hongkong - it's just a kick, a hat, a snare and two different synth chords plugging away for about 7 minutes. just by varying the effects on these simple elements he is able to create enough interest to sustain the listener's attention over the whole track, who needs chord structures and hooks when you can pull that off?

Agreed about hongkong, i was really just talking about his more recent stuff.

It's funny, because no one element of Monolake's music is amazing. Drums are pretty straight forward sounding, the sound design is subtle and never really jaw dropping, and the tracks don't have much going in the way of in depth composition and progression... like someone said, it's a lot of subtle recombining of elements.... but together, all of these elements are SO FUCKING GOOD. It really is about the balance of all of these things, and that is what he is the master of. Regardless of any one tiny part... on a whole he is the master of taking you into his world.

This is why he is one of my favorite artists.

Guest Enter a new display name

It's funny, because no one element of Monolake's music is amazing. Drums are pretty straight forward sounding, the sound design is subtle and never really jaw dropping, and the tracks don't have much going in the way of in depth composition and progression... like someone said, it's a lot of subtle recombining of elements.... but together, all of these elements are SO FUCKING GOOD. It really is about the balance of all of these things, and that is what he is the master of. Regardless of any one tiny part... on a whole he is the master of taking you into his world.

Quoted for truth!

This doesn't apply to Momentum I don't think, the elements sound great on their own terms - combined they make an amazing album. Same goes to Interstate.

After a few listens I think Ghosts trumps Silence by a margin, but is still light years behind his other stuff.

This doesn't apply to Momentum I don't think, the elements sound great on their own terms - combined they make an amazing album. Same goes to Interstate.

After a few listens I think Ghosts trumps Silence by a margin, but is still light years behind his other stuff.

I was speaking in general. Momentum does have more going on in it than his others.

The thing with monolake is his sound design is amazing, but the music/composition itself rarely leaves me impressed.

Even with Momentum? Excentric is a masterpiece I think. Not sure I'll ever get bored of that track.

Few tracks in and Ghosts is good, already miles ahead of Silence which I despised... pretty much for the reason you said.

yep. yep. yep. Excentric one of my top electronic tracks ever.

also silence sucked and this is much better. 2009 was pretty late to have sooo much stock apple computer voice speaking all over your record :dry:

Well... After I've been listening to this for a while, I probably have to agree some of you after all. This release it kind of a letdown.

The only tracks I still think are great are: Lilith, Ghosts, Aligning the Daemon and The Existence of Time.

The rest is slightly meh.

• 3 weeks later...

anyone know where this CD is in stock in the uk? Was late ordeing as was on my honeymoon when it came out and know my order on amazon has been delayed further and no where else seems to have it! Guess i could just get the mp3 but wanted it on CD

anyone know where this CD is in stock in the uk? Was late ordeing as was on my honeymoon when it came out and know my order on amazon has been delayed further and no where else seems to have it! Guess i could just get the mp3 but wanted it on CD

I bought this at Honest Jon's Records. Received it in the mail yesterday

Archived