IGNORED

teenage engineering op 1

Guest yikes

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i've had it out with owners ofthe first batch of these who still couldn't explain to me what makes this thing so unique other than it looks cool next to a macbook pro and its portable

one even tried to tell me it wad better than a monomachine

old ideas repackaged for the vst generation and useless with any other hardware but i guess rich students have to spend their loans on something

I was salivating over one of these forever, then they finally came out and widespread bug reports were all I read about. In the process of waiting for them to become stable I started playing with Komplete again and forgot all about that expensive toy.

The portability is interesting but I hate the look of the thing. In short its fuckin' ugly and just looks like a toy rather a serious piece of kit. I read the specs also and it just ain't clear what its capable of. Also how much is it? I mean seriously I wouldn't wanna spend anymore than £200-300 on something like that. Needs a proper keyboard too.

The portability is interesting but I hate the look of the thing. In short its fuckin' ugly and just looks like a toy rather a serious piece of kit. I read the specs also and it just ain't clear what its capable of. Also how much is it? I mean seriously I wouldn't wanna spend anymore than £200-300 on something like that. Needs a proper keyboard too.

I think they're like $800...

nathan barley

funniest show ever. seeing thos post making me watch the whole thing again

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONaa4HxD-48

The series was a little ahead of its time when first aired and not living near major city I didn't quite get it first time round but after the idiots had gone more widespread after a few years I watched it again and found it hit totally the nail on the head, shit we even have a local electro/inde night dedicated to these fuckers now.

Certainly a generation gap from the techno hippies and sorted ravers I grew up with.

nathan barley

funniest show ever. seeing thos post making me watch the whole thing again

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONaa4HxD-48

The series was a little ahead of its time when first aired and not living near major city I didn't quite get it first time round but after the idiots had gone more widespread after a few years I watched it again and found it hit totally the nail on the head, shit we even have a local electro/inde night dedicated to these fuckers now.

Certainly a generation gap from the techno hippies and sorted ravers I grew up with.

man, we need to organise a little watmm night and all go to this for lols.

i'm serious.

Probably gonna be about £600 which is just too much for that thing imo.

It's 799 Euros/about £700.

I thought it looked interesting at first but then over time...

3.5mm output and no sync features put me off. Plus the basic sequencers and weak synths seem void...

• 3 months later...
Guest RadarJammer

The cheap looking mini speaker ruins the idea for me. Anyone who is going to spend a bushel of 50¢ pieces on a gadget should already own some speaker or headphones. Otherwise I think it looks great for a $150 thingy at Target, like the Blue Man group stuff

the mini speaker isn't great but it sounds fantastic on headphones or good speakers. It has even a decent side-chain sinewave compressor thing called Punch, easily adding a pumping sub bass sound to any drum track.

so far i'm finding the audio editing to be extremely pleasurable and intuitive. As far as a powerful sequencer it's lacking, you can't save patterns. It only stores a total of 4 patterns (1 of each kind per synth or drum track). It forces you to have a 'put it immediately to tape' type of workflow, which at least for me

leads to some interesting creative challenges that make interesting results. You can record yourself tweaking a drum pattern for a minute and within seconds cut a few loops from it and actually construct a song structure

you see a visual representation of your audio regions and they appear in different colors for each track, it looks kind of like an Atari lynx version of chopping audio on the abelton timeline. On top of this it's also like a Casio SK1 on steroids, you can record into the built in mic which is about as good as the one on the SK1, low quality as fuck. Or you can record off a built in FM radio tuner, a line input and record what you're hearing on the internal synth engines. The sampling save features are minimal but you get a basic bread and butter set of sampling features like start and end points for each hit, you can save up to 40 kits on the machine, and have 8 loaded up at once. It has a drum sampler mode as well as a melodic sampler mode

just in case no-one here was aware, Alessandro Cortini has released another album under his SONOIO project, and I believe that he has made extensive use of the OP-1 for this album. I know for his first album he did it entirely with Buchla synths. Not sure if he's gone for the same one-synth approach here or not, but it's definitely been used.

http://sonoio.org/

it kind of reminds me of the Tempest, where no video someone could possibly show you will be convincing, its just one of those things where once you sit down on it you will immediately realize why it's so good. Nobody on this board seemed very impressed with the Tempest either, but upon first playing with one i nearly jizzed my pants

just in case no-one here was aware, Alessandro Cortini has released another album under his SONOIO project, and I believe that he has made extensive use of the OP-1 for this album. I know for his first album he did it entirely with Buchla synths. Not sure if he's gone for the same one-synth approach here or not, but it's definitely been used.

http://sonoio.org/

just checked it sound, sounds very likely to me. good use of it too

• 3 weeks later...

Archived