IGNORED

teenage engineering op 1

Guest yikes

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it's easy to make and save them. it's a pain in the ass to label them (have to connect to pc) so they're just strings of numbers (date/time related?)

sample from the mic, get the $20 antenna and sample from the radio

it's easy to make and save them. it's a pain in the ass to label them (have to connect to pc) so they're just strings of numbers (date/time related?)

sample from the mic, get the $20 antenna and sample from the radio

Ah okay. What would you say your main criticisms are?

it'd be great if it were at least possible to save sequences to snapshots.. it wouldn't be that hard to implement either.

It's one of the reasons why I sold mine. It's a great portable synth, but seems geared towards improvisation, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, just not my kinda thing at the moment.

You can recall sequences with the finger sequencer (across the white note keys). so it is possible in a (limited) way. i have it synced up to my modular thru the oplab. it is quite a fun sequencer for live playing.

the endless sequencer is my favourite tho. it is more capable with how you can set note lengths and really long sequences, plus it's fully polyphonic. 
i just wish it was possible to save and recall several sequences with it. probably easy thing to implement, right? 

Tape is 6 minutes, but contains 4 mono tracks that can be panned/muted/overdubbed. There is also the LP feature which allows you to record two "sides" of stereo audio at 6 minutes each.

As for samples, there is a hard limit on the number of samples that can be saved to the device, from the OP-1 forum:

Max Synth Sampler patches = 42

Max Synth Synthesis patches = 100

Max Drum Patches = 42

Sample length is limited to 6 seconds for melodic samples and 12 seconds for drums (I think..).

i just really doubt your sequences are going to be so amazing that you have to save them so you can keep using them over and over. why wouldn't you want to keep making new sequences?

most of the sequencers store the last sequence in the mem. if it's that amazing, like i said, record the midi.

it's not that hard to remake sequences. i don't get people who want the gear to bend to them.

just bend to the gear.

why wouldn't I want to, say, play a gig and be able to recall a specific sequence so I don't have to punch it in again?

I guess it depends on what your style is. I didn't really gel with it beyond using it as a fun portable live playing synth, and for that alone it's a bit expensive..

some people wanna play it live but imo it's really not suited for it. it works better as a cartesian environment for making music.

i use it in the same way i use korg gadget (which lately i've been using more since i have it on my phone)

Yeah, I think the ideal way to work with the OP-1 is to get things down to the tape. Then either mess with the tape live and record to the album or import into DAW and then chop up in there.

I prefer to think of the sequencers as (sub)pattern generators, and also I find them the most limiting aspect of the machine for both good and bad reasons. 

• 2 years later...

the price does seem very high, but i think most people who have experience with digital synths will understand the price tag after playing with one for a few hours.

Its £669 in the uk which to my mind is still kinda expensive. That said I take you're point in terms of it sorting of competing with the Ipad on price but not with an Ipod Touch no way!! I got my Ipod Touch 3 secondhand for £80 and with Beatmaker 2 which has sampling, samples plus subtractive sample synthesis the OP-1 can't compete imo.

7 years later they've finally come to their senses and adjusted the price, so now it's only ..... £1199 ($1572): https://www.teenageengineering.com/store#op-1  :cisfor:

oh so te invited me to perform with them in atlanta near the end of their tour. really awesome experience (hadn't played out in probably over 10 years). free food/drinks at an uber posh spot in atlanta i never would've gotten into before and will probably never get into again. the te guys were totally humble and rad to play with.

long and short was due to a number of factors (the screen being one of the most well documented) they had to choose between either killing it or bringing it back at a higher price. they chose the latter. 

• 3 weeks later...

man. so sad i sold mine. bought it for $600 in 2016. had some disk connectivity issues with my mac but it was truly the best time i've ever had with a piece of hardware.

moral of the story is use the gear you have and get the most out of it.

Archived