IGNORED

We are the Foundation

Atop

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.nytimes.c...nkers.html?_r=4

Nicholas Taleb (the guy who came up with the theory of "black swans") gives some solid reasoning behind why bonuses are a bad idea.

http://www.nytimes.c...=me&ref=general

Thomas Friedman with an interesting comparison of the social movements going on in India and the US.

The manager where I work gets a bonus from corporate if he's under budget. As a result, we're horribly understaffed, nobody's allowed to get overtime, and the facilities are literally falling apart.

its not the same though. people in southern sudan are eating their own feces for nutrition. how dare we complain about not being able to afford another TV for the patio?

PS: if its not obvious I hate humanity.

state college, pa is basically a town built around penn state. while frenetic college fans are more typical further south, they fucking love their football and their joepa.

overall, the whole recent penn state situation is unfortunate, but shit it's not THAT important in the grand scheme of things.

There's this big street right across the Central Station in Antwerp, and they are going to renovate it. This includes taking down all the trees of the street.

Which leads to a bunch of people protesting in favor of keeping the trees (i can understand that, i like to see something organic in contrast to all the concrete)

I've seen hearts drawn on the trees, and a bunch of texts and flyers spread around. But today, they've started using banners saying "OCCUPY ANTWERP" and "WE ARE THE 99%"

so uh....

this shit is about trees now?

That poor girl getting jabbed in the ribs by a nightstick. Why the fuck are the cops allowed to do this??? Protect and serve needs to be removed from all cops cars as soon as fucking possible.

There needs to be accountability... Riot police need large numbers painted on their uniforms, front and back, and on thier helmets, so that when a police officer is caught on tape doing shit like this, there will be no question as who did what. We basically allow them to be anonymous, hidden behind their gear. Yeah they have their name tags, but those are hard to pick out from videos, unless the cameraman is right in front of them.

There needs to be accountability... Riot police need large numbers painted on their uniforms, front and back, and on thier helmets...

I agree. It's not like in the military, where showing your rank could get you killed in the field. Their job is to be noticed, so a large number or letter wouldn't exactly hurt anything.

yeah, it has nothing to do with rank... just accountability... every officer is assigned a number. plain and simple. if you see officer #24 shoot a tear gas canister into someones face, then officer #24 gets in trouble.

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

jabbing with a stick is so much worse than beating over the head too

i hear they are heading back tonight with tents

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

what do you think about the possibility of the police knowing that their brutality will boost the numbers/movement - and doing it for that exact reason. one person in a uniform (and a big stick) can do much more than one person with a sign. seems a crazy thought i know. but sometimes i can't fathom it being anything else.

I think they just really don't get it. They think to themselves "we are the police, we are the law... how dare they not disperse... would told them to fucking disperse!" and then it becomes an ego thing, where they have to prove that they are in control and in charge of the situation. I really don't think that they think beyond that point.

• 2 weeks later...

http://upwithchrishayes.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/11/19/8896362-exclusive-lobbying-firms-memo-spells-out-plan-to-undermine-occupy-wall-street-video

Seems as though Wall Street is getting concerned

The memo outlines a 60-day plan to conduct surveys and research on OWS and its supporters so that Wall Street companies will be prepared to conduct a media campaign in response to OWS. Wall Street companies “likely will not be the best spokespeople for their own cause,” according to the memo. “A big challenge is to demonstrate that these companies still have political strength and that making them a political target will carry a severe political cost.”

Part of the plan CLGC proposes is to do “statewide surveys in at least eight states that are shaping up to be the most important of the 2012 cycle.”

Specific races listed in the memo are U.S. Senate races in Florida, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Wisconsin, Ohio, New Mexico and Nevada as well as the gubernatorial race in North Carolina.

The memo indicates that CLGC would research who has contributed financial backing to OWS, noting that, “Media reports have speculated about associations with George Soros and others.”

"It will be vital,” the memo says, “to understand who is funding it and what their backgrounds and motives are. If we can show that they have the same cynical motivation as a political opponent it will undermine their credibility in a profound way.”

http://upwithchrisha...ll-street-video

Seems as though Wall Street is getting concerned

The memo outlines a 60-day plan to conduct surveys and research on OWS and its supporters so that Wall Street companies will be prepared to conduct a media campaign in response to OWS. Wall Street companies “likely will not be the best spokespeople for their own cause,” according to the memo. “A big challenge is to demonstrate that these companies still have political strength and that making them a political target will carry a severe political cost.”

Part of the plan CLGC proposes is to do “statewide surveys in at least eight states that are shaping up to be the most important of the 2012 cycle.”

Specific races listed in the memo are U.S. Senate races in Florida, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Wisconsin, Ohio, New Mexico and Nevada as well as the gubernatorial race in North Carolina.

The memo indicates that CLGC would research who has contributed financial backing to OWS, noting that, “Media reports have speculated about associations with George Soros and others.”

"It will be vital,” the memo says, “to understand who is funding it and what their backgrounds and motives are. If we can show that they have the same cynical motivation as a political opponent it will undermine their credibility in a profound way.”

lol what a bunch of fail.

Archived