IGNORED

The Race To Buy Up The World's Water

Redruth

water will soon be a commodity more precious than petroleum and maybe more precious then gold in our not to far future?

the fact that human beings are 70+ % water is important to take into consideration

what type of water do you drink?

have you ever gathered your own water?

have you ever become sick from water you have ingested?

what do you know about water?

do you care about the water you drink?

do you have a water filter? shower filter?

the quality of water in the world is not what it used to be

http://www.rainharve...e-worlds-water/

http://www.thedailyb...ld-s-water.html

I agree with troon partially here: private companies should never be allowed to control water supplies.

Something interesting to note - of all the water in the world - the total amount of fresh water on the earth is 2.8% and the amount of fresh water that we have access to is equal to 0.65% of the total.

Luckily, we have something called the hydrologic cycle - this ensures that our available water supply remains relatively constant. The problem of course is the effect that climate change is having on ocean levels. To me that's a bigger worry than corporations buying up water stocks.

i find the addition of a little mercury to water gives it a bitter, but unusually bold flavor.

As you seem to be plenty bitter these days, maybe hold the mercury?

Alaska has over 3 million lakes that are more than 20 acres in size. It also has a lot of snow. It also has a lot of sun and firewood that one could use to boil water with. WOooo. But lots of folks are probably going to start moving to Alaska once things start getting really hot.

Wont simple chemistry provide for limitless quantities of water always by vaporizing and condensing thus producing drinkable fluid? I don't get how we can be deprived of this ever unless something really terribly wrong comes along...

i find the addition of a little mercury to water gives it a bitter, but unusually bold flavor.

As you seem to be plenty bitter these days, maybe hold the mercury?

well i stopped drinking vinegar, so that should be an improvement, if anything

Wont simple chemistry provide for limitless quantities of water always by vaporizing and condensing thus producing drinkable fluid? I don't get how we can be deprived of this ever unless something really terribly wrong comes along...

The price for desalting seawater is 4€/1000L with a capacity of 100L/h according to wikipedia. I have no idea how far developed the process is, but for countries/people with money, there probably won´t be a water shortness in case of a huge climate-change or whatsoever. 3rd world countries already are struggeling with watershortness, so we don´t have to speculate about our future since enough people don´t have acces to fresh water already.

if i were rich and didnt have to fend for my own against capitalist pigs day in and day out i would probably care about crap like this. but the reality is that most people like you and me will never be able to do shit about it. shrug.

Something interesting to note - of all the water in the world - the total amount of fresh water on the earth is 2.8% and the amount of fresh water that we have access to is equal to 0.65% of the total.

interesting. it's always so amazing to me, to think that we have survived this long in this little terrarium, out in the middle of nowhere

Guest theSun

the hydrologic cycle

this.

not to say pollution won't totally fuck a lot of our waterways. the bigger practical problem with water is all the fucking bottles people are buying these days.

The price for desalting seawater is 4€/1000L with a capacity of 100L/h according to wikipedia. I have no idea how far developed the process is, but for countries/people with money, there probably won´t be a water shortness in case of a huge climate-change or whatsoever. 3rd world countries already are struggeling with watershortness, so we don´t have to speculate about our future since enough people don´t have acces to fresh water already.

This is a worthwhile video on the subject. We're getting there...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXepkIWPhFQ

(not so much about desalinating water btw, but about contaminated water... pritchard takes the position that we should let nature take the salt out of the water - for free - and then decontaminate it ourselves)

Archived