IGNORED

die antwoord - ten$ion

kaini

This feels like a really weak lead single. These guys are at their best when they're making totally wrong-headed pop music, this is just kinda tedious. Oh and the DJ Hi-Tek verse is the most useless minute and a half of music I've heard in a looong time.

yeah. the tracks on their first album that really stuck out to me were the ones w/ lyrics like Beat Boy (such a good story-verse) and Very Fancy ("ninja says everything you think you become - cool, i want to be rich and invisible...") ... but ever since that Diplo collab i've kinda been less and less into each single they've released. the Rich Bitch video was good & entertaining. i just hope the new album has some of the same goofy lyrics and it's not all just tough-guy posturing and explicit dick-swinging...

ninja's verses in this song are nothing but "people used to hate me so i fucked them over" said in a few different ways... give us some weird-ass thoughts and ideas to digest, not "i'm coping with your shit" verses and a chorus that is literally just "fuck all you guys." there's already enough rap with those uninspired gangster ideas in the world... and where's the rave-rap vibes, yo-landi!? this beat is boring even by top 40 standards.

*crosses fingers for the rest of the album*

ps - that beat under hi-tek is seriously boring - more so than the main beat - it sounds like some of the kit patterns that came pre-loaded on maschine.

hopefully i'm just reading into this too much and they'll come back w/ a banger

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Lucy Faringold

I think part of the reason it feels so disappointing is that when they were making the album they did interviews saying that they were writing these massive, unstoppable pop hooks that no one was gonna be able to escape. And then this drops and the vibe is totally just: 'Eh, this'll do...'

• 1 month later...

Die Antwoord is very simple to judge really, either you love it or you hate it and think its lame. Usually the first kind of people get pussy and the second dont. For the same reasons.

You didn't list any reasons.

Then you didnt get my point!! Thank you for exemplifying

Die Antwoord, the South African rave-rappers who became international viral sensations last year and signed a record deal with Interscope but parted ways with the label recently, just as their new album TEN$ION was set to be released. According to the band, the label wanted them to be more middle America-friendly, where as the band wanted to, for lack of a better term, keep it real and release singles like “Fok Julle Naaiers,” which loosely translates to “F*ck You All.”

This is why i LOVE die antwoord they sucked the industry to make tours and pub and now they're on their own telling everyone to fuck off. I lvoe that! Als if you listen to the dj hi-tec part, it's quoted from a mike tyson rant, litterally! He even looks like him!! loool fuckin awesome i bet some aphex is comming on the album. He said he didnt want to work with them because they where to insistent and harsh but i think it was just an inside joke cuz thats what they would do, so he was just playing with the characters (my guess).... i really hope some aphex is hidden there.

Their pose and videos are fun, but just like many of contemporary pop are based on shock and awe, which is basically the trait of all contemporary art these days. Making something shocking isn't necessarily good, at least for me. Reminds me too much of Lady Gaga. Just count the words like "fok", "sucky", "bitch", "fucky"... Seems like throwing dirty rap, modern electro pop, and psychopaths into a blender. Which again reminds me that nothing is as original as it sells to be. I think future bands will be more like: "ok, people like dubstep, so let's throw in some badass drilling bass lines, they like explicit lyrics so write a text with as much obscene sexual preferences as you can, have some of that clappy rimshots like SnoopDog or whatever and mix everything into something that will look like a rebelion youth culture." They make you think it's a parody/statement on everything popular these days, but at the same time it is an irony, because they are in serious business, trying to make money and desire to become the greatest band on the world.

I don't like their music, even putting aside the reasons I stated above, the whole package (the visual, the sound,...) is aesthetically unpleasing to me. I hope they didn't collaborate with Aphex, and I hope Richard is good fella enough to refuse the cooperation. And judging by what I heard so far, I think there was no Aphex involved. Otherwise the music would soud so much different and better. Maybe it's all part of a PR campaign. And I wouldn't be surprised.

Their pose and videos are fun, but just like many of contemporary pop are based on shock and awe, which is basically the trait of all contemporary art these days. Making something shocking isn't necessarily good, at least for me. Reminds me too much of Lady Gaga. Just count the words like "fok", "sucky", "bitch", "fucky"... Seems like throwing dirty rap, modern electro pop, and psychopaths into a blender. Which again reminds me that nothing is as original as it sells to be. I think future bands will be more like: "ok, people like dubstep, so let's throw in some badass drilling bass lines, they like explicit lyrics so write a text with as much obscene sexual preferences as you can, have some of that clappy rimshots like SnoopDog or whatever and mix everything into something that will look like a rebelion youth culture." They make you think it's a parody/statement on everything popular these days, but at the same time it is an irony, because they are in serious business, trying to make money and desire to become the greatest band on the world.

I don't like their music, even putting aside the reasons I stated above, the whole package (the visual, the sound,...) is aesthetically unpleasing to me. I hope they didn't collaborate with Aphex, and I hope Richard is good fella enough to refuse the cooperation. And judging by what I heard so far, I think there was no Aphex involved. Otherwise the music would soud so much different and better. Maybe it's all part of a PR campaign. And I wouldn't be surprised.

wtf dude don't compare them to lady gaga. They're about atitude and fun. They don't take themselves seriously while those artists you described do...have you seen umshimi wan? Did you even read my post? They broke the contact with interscope, they could have doubled their revenues with the next release but they chose an alt label.

I know there's some marketing involved but cmon this is fun.... you're supposed to laugh at it and with them. Thats what i do...

wtf dude don't compare them to lady gaga. They're about atitude and fun. They don't take themselves seriously while those artists you described do...have you seen umshimi wan? Did you even read my post? They broke the contact with interscope, they could have doubled their revenues with the next release but they chose an alt label.

I know there's some marketing involved but cmon this is fun.... you're supposed to laugh at it and with them. Thats what i do...

I didn't write to reply to your post, it was just my opinion. And I said they are fun, because their atitude and videos have WTF written all over, but that is as far as I can go with them. Have you heard the Wakey Wakey track from The Constructus Corporation? I think it's one of Ninja's former acts and it's nice. And my comparison with Lady Gaga was based on the 'shock and awe' doctrine solely - I wasn't trying to put them in the same musical pot or something, even if they both basically suck. As long as there are different people there will be different points of view on music, and my idea of fun isn't exactly what these people have in mind. So I did laugh,.......... once. What I notice on DieAntwoord is kind of a statement on modern society that goes nicely along with their cover art for $o$, but their act is still trying to much to be appealing, that is to be just enough controversial but still safe enough so people don't feel offended much. It's a good selling formula, not a rebel-like idea, and that's what bothers me. To me they feel like "ooh, cool, there someone with enough guts to.... aww FUCK it."

Sometimes I can get too analytical on stuff, I know, but that's me. I can't get away from that:)

i think this band is missing one key ingredient, which is a good stage show. Every live performance i've seen of theirs shows me that they haven't moved very much past the internet viral sensation that they are, not as poor as someone like Kreyshawn who only has 2 songs but still gets live gigs, but i think they need to take the whole image full circle by putting a massive effort into a live show, make it as good as one of their videos.

They're really good at making me pay attention to them. Are they good rappers, artists, whatever? I can't really tell.

I can see they have the potential to be super cool, I hope they aren't all bark and no bite.

i think this band is missing one key ingredient, which is a good stage show. Every live performance i've seen of theirs shows me that they haven't moved very much past the internet viral sensation that they are, not as poor as someone like Kreyshawn who only has 2 songs but still gets live gigs, but i think they need to take the whole image full circle by putting a massive effort into a live show, make it as good as one of their videos.

this is ridiculous

Archived