IGNORED

what happened to my attn: MDG thread?

Alzado

Until BoC makes some statement about releasing the album or the reasons behind the delay (assuming there have been delays), you really can't expect them to be required to issue any statements about when they intend on releasing something just because you feel it's been longer than it should have been.

i'm not saying they are required to do anything. i'm saying it would be the decent thing to do.

what's the argument against it? they don't have time? that's crazy. the precious artists are so busy tweaking hihats that they can't waste 30 seconds to say "new album soon, keep your pants on."? I have kids. I work full time. I pursue other interests. I'm busy too. We're all busy. Nobody's too busy to send out the equivalent of a quick e-mail.

it's a modest and fair request. i've spent decent money on their catalog, suffering unfavorable conversion rates thanks to a weak dollar. i don't think it's a lot to ask. they don't have to give us anything. but we don't have to shut up and be patient either. so what's the deal?

Since none of us have any (public) idea of any reason(s) behind the delay, it might not be politically- or business-savvy to make any statements - I've known through my experience in dealing on both sides of the recording industry there are a lot of behind the scenes things that play out or occur that can to the unknowing fan, seem like Radio Silence or a deliberate snubbing off of fans, whereas that's not the case at all.

And really, you (and others) need to stop personalizing this - BoC is not putting out an album for LOL Alzado - they're putting out an album of music they want to release, and hopefully a lot of people like it and purchase it so BoC can continue making the music they want. Personally I feel like you did, but at some point you have to realize it's like wishing for it to rain - it might happen, but there is absolutely nothing you can do to precipitate (ha) things. When it comes out, in whatever form, with whatever additional projects they've had in the works as well finally see the light of day, then the real role of the fan can commence - deciding what they like, don't like, and their opinions about the music, and share those opinions with fellow fans.

Nicely put Joyrex. BoC owe you a favour there.

I think watmm represents a real good bunch of BoC fans tbh. Most of us like a joke and a laugh, also we respect their mysterious shennanigans. But some of us sometimes get a bit peeved at what sometimes seems like a snubbing of their most ardent fans.

Unfortunately for you, it sometimes falls to you to iron out a few PR problems. Which really you shouldn't have to do.

Well, to be perfectly honest, they have never asked me to be a spokesperson or represent them in any way - I am simply trying to be a voice of reason so discussions like this don't devolve into lynch mob mentality just because we haven't gotten any new warbly synths in a good while :emotawesomepm9:

I wouldn't be suprised if mdg is one of the Sandisons. in fact I am almost convinced.

mdg is off the radar at the moment, probably tying up all the loose ends of the new album.

Bet'cha.

For awhile I thought the same thing, but I don't think so, as Mark has told me that Michael and Marcus have used the mdg account to view the forum on occasion. It is a bit odd why mdg hasn't been on here since June or July... dunno about Twoism and when the last time he popped up there was.

Let's hope we hear something positive soon - the Radio Silence is killing me as much as any fan, I imagine!

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think MDG (whoever he may be) prefers Watmm to Twoism, he doesn't seem to have much to do with that lot of late. Then again if I was a Sandison I'd steer clear of that lot too lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Mark has told me that Michael and Marcus have used the mdg account to view the forum on occasion.

ban them for account sharing?

Well, I did ban Richard several times, apparently... :derp:

Mark has told me that Michael and Marcus have used the mdg account to view the forum on occasion.

haha!, that's funny. what did he do?

haha!, that's funny. what did he do?

He phoned him at his workplace and made rasping noises, then claimed the WATMM Vol. 1 compilation was "Quite Good".

Radio Silence would be a decent name for the album, frankly.

Who said anything about that being the ALBUM title?

you're just giddy with this, aren't you...you wanna spill it, don't you. alright, i'll play along...EP title, then? or is it a pseudonym? tell me and i'll tell you what mom and dad got you for Christmas. deal? deal.

the last thing mdg said on twoism was:

All I can say is that it was never traditional for an audience to be privy to the machinations of an artist' date=' filmmaker, musician, or author until the internet (and specifically blog websites) were invented.

By the time Peter Jackson releases his new movies, some of his audience will have already seen much of the film on his Facebook blog and other websites.

Do any of you guys remember the days when something wonderful just appeared out of the blue, without having had it all explained away and spoiled in advance?[/quote']

he deleted it right afterwards

the last thing mdg said on twoism was:

All I can say is that it was never traditional for an audience to be privy to the machinations of an artist' date=' filmmaker, musician, or author until the internet (and specifically blog websites) were invented.

By the time Peter Jackson releases his new movies, some of his audience will have already seen much of the film on his Facebook blog and other websites.

Do any of you guys remember the days when something wonderful just appeared out of the blue, without having had it all explained away and spoiled in advance?[/quote']

i agree with that ^

i actually began to hate the internet a few years ago...

5-10 years ago it was still an interesting, quite special thing.

but now it's just full of shit! like a busy town center packed full

of too many cars, 'n shit.

I assume we scared him away. well not we but certain users. I remember the last things he did post here where filled with rage about the stupidness of some users. thats why he is still on twoism but not posting here anymore

maybe also LOL Alzados constant tries to push him to certain statements did its part too. (as I can totally understand the intention behind them)

while i do agree 100% with being surprised with a new album, without the internet i don't think boc would have anywhere near the following it does with all the conspiracy nonsense. plus, without the internet, if an obscure little band from scotland went 6 years without word after an album people would know they weren't a band anymore and would not even being discussing a new album.

while i do agree 100% with being surprised with a new album, without the internet i don't think boc would have anywhere near the following it does with all the conspiracy nonsense. plus, without the internet, if an obscure little band from scotland went 6 years without word after an album people would know they weren't a band anymore and would not even being discussing a new album.

nah they are on WARP and by this not some obscure little band. last time I checked last.fm they had more plays than autechre and plaid right behind aphex twin. this is the reason why the hype is still up not us deconstructing every little bit they fart. I think you overestimate the influence of WATMM on WARPs hype.

nah they are on WARP and by this not some obscure little band. last time I checked last.fm they had more plays than autechre and plaid right behind aphex twin. this is the reason why the hype is still up not us deconstructing every little bit they fart. I think you overestimate the influence of WATMM on WARPs hype.

last.fm being an internet based service.

i didn't see jules making any reference to watmm having any influence at all, but he did say that the internet has influence. and that is undoubtedly correct. i would even go so far as to say that the likes of Reddit and Salad Fingers have done much more for exposure of BoC than fucking watemm could ever have done.

fact is, without the internet there wouldn't be as much interest in Boards of Canada as there is now. this cannot be denied.

i didn't see jules making any reference to watmm having any influence at all, but he did say that the internet has influence. and that is undoubtedly correct. i would even go so far as to say that the likes of Reddit and Salad Fingers have done much more for exposure of BoC than fucking watemm could ever have done.

fact is, without the internet there wouldn't be as much interest in Boards of Canada as there is now. this cannot be denied.

yea that was my point. like i said, i agree with what mdg posted but he has to understand that very thing also made boc lots of money too...

Something about having cake and wanting to eat too, springs to mind.

I find this BoC feud with internet/technology a bit hypocritical. But I think their main problem with the web is how it knocks little chunks of bricks and mortar away from their wall of privacy, I think that's what bothers them. And to be honest it would bother me too.

I was referring to their popularity not them being on last.fm. last.fm was just a tool for me to mesure that. WARP promotes them which makes them as populair as they are. they would be where they are with or without the internet. sure WARP uses the internet to promote them and a part of this being this message board and last.fm etc. but if it wasn't there they would still very successfully promote them as they did before the internet

Archived