IGNORED

what happened to my attn: MDG thread?

Alzado

while i do agree 100% with being surprised with a new album, without the internet i don't think boc would have anywhere near the following it does with all the conspiracy nonsense. plus, without the internet, if an obscure little band from scotland went 6 years without word after an album people would know they weren't a band anymore and would not even being discussing a new album.

nah they are on WARP and by this not some obscure little band. last time I checked last.fm they had more plays than autechre and plaid right behind aphex twin. this is the reason why the hype is still up not us deconstructing every little bit they fart. I think you overestimate the influence of WATMM on WARPs hype.

last.fm being an internet based service.

i didn't see jules making any reference to watmm having any influence at all, but he did say that the internet has influence. and that is undoubtedly correct. i would even go so far as to say that the likes of Reddit and Salad Fingers have done much more for exposure of BoC than fucking watemm could ever have done.

fact is, without the internet there wouldn't be as much interest in Boards of Canada as there is now. this cannot be denied.

I was referring to their popularity not them being on last.fm. last.fm was just a tool for me to mesure that. WARP promotes them which makes them as populair as they are. they would be where they are with or without the internet. sure WARP uses the internet to promote them and a part of this being this message board and last.fm etc. but if it wasn't there they would still very successfully promote them as they did before the internet

again, their increased popularity in the past 5 years (at least) has been very significantly helped by exposure via various internet sites. Warp have done almost _nothing_ to promote Boards of Canada except to the existing fanbase (Warp20 release) and even then it was a kind of half-arsed.

I think you overestimate the mindshare of Warp Records in the general public.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

while i do agree 100% with being surprised with a new album, without the internet i don't think boc would have anywhere near the following it does with all the conspiracy nonsense. plus, without the internet, if an obscure little band from scotland went 6 years without word after an album people would know they weren't a band anymore and would not even being discussing a new album.

hmmm, but also, on the other hand, there's the more probable possibility that without all this conspiracy nonsense and fan wank internet shit, BoC might've carried on releasing a lot more music, without any worries. i know some of the things i read everyday effect me on some level. so god knows how they and other bands like them must feel, if they do read some of the shite their fans say. best just not to read any of it. autechre have it right. in that they don't read any reviews, or fan forums i would imagine, too.

beep beep!

hmmm, but also, on the other hand, there's the more probable possibility that without all this conspiracy nonsense and fan wank internet shit, BoC might've carried on releasing a lot more music, without any worries. i know some of the things i read everyday effect me on some level. so god knows how they and other bands like them must feel, if they do read some of the shite their fans say. best just not to read any of it. autechre have it right. in that they don't read any reviews, or fan forums i would imagine, too.

beep beep!

definitely not correct.

nah they are on WARP and by this not some obscure little band. last time I checked last.fm they had more plays than autechre and plaid right behind aphex twin. this is the reason why the hype is still up not us deconstructing every little bit they fart. I think you overestimate the influence of WATMM on WARPs hype.

i didn't see jules making any reference to watmm having any influence at all, but he did say that the internet has influence. and that is undoubtedly correct. i would even go so far as to say that the likes of Reddit and Salad Fingers have done much more for exposure of BoC than fucking watemm could ever have done.

fact is, without the internet there wouldn't be as much interest in Boards of Canada as there is now. this cannot be denied.

so what, tho? do they even care about internet exposure? most probably not, i'd say. obviously, isn't it?

or they'd have more of an online presence? but they obv don't give a shit (about the internet).

beep beep!

definitely not correct.

definite my arse mate

yea that was my point. like i said, i agree with what mdg posted but he has to understand that very thing also made boc lots of money too...

bah, do you think they did it for the money? ever. lol

so what, tho? do they even care about internet exposure? most probably not, i'd say. obviously, isn't it?

or they'd have more of an online presence? but they obv don't give a shit (about the internet).

beep beep!

definitely not correct.

definite my arse mate

ok. believe what you like, but you are wrong.

I was referring to their popularity not them being on last.fm. last.fm was just a tool for me to mesure that. WARP promotes them which makes them as populair as they are. they would be where they are with or without the internet. sure WARP uses the internet to promote them and a part of this being this message board and last.fm etc. but if it wasn't there they would still very successfully promote them as they did before the internet

true that. 100%

beep beep!

definitely not correct.

definite my arse mate

ok. believe what you like, but you are wrong.

likewise.

and if you're on about ae, or something hanal told you, i don't care.

i'm talking about BoC.

*smoking cigarette after countless beers*

you're probably right tho, osc. ae read forums. i read they don't read any reviews, so.. maybe true, maybe not. 'tis fine.

now back onto BoC......

i wouldn't read this. not after 6 years anyway. maybe to begin with, yeah...

They know about as much my Nan ........ and she's been dead for 6 years, God rest her soul.

LOL!

fucking lol.

that's where i stopped reading and started lollin. convulsively.

Guest Dogboy73

Without the internet i don't think boc would have anywhere near the following it does with all the conspiracy nonsense. plus, without the internet, if an obscure little band from scotland went 6 years without word after an album people would know they weren't a band anymore and would not even being discussing a new album.

That's a very good point. BoC fans would instead be like, 'wouldn't it be good if Boc re-formed and put out some new material'. I mean realistically if there is no new BoC material then there is no more BoC. Am I right or am I right? Actually why were we ever expecting any new material anyway? There has NEVER been any official word post the TCH EP. We all just expected BoC would keep going. I think it's sadly clear now that this is not infact the case.

Schrödinger's cat

as for official word, we did have official word. unless Joyrex is prepared to publicly state that MDG is in fact not able to act as 'representative' of the band...

I do love the way how nobody has got a fucking clue what's going on. It's kind of amusing.

Not even the head honcho at Warp probably know's what's happening lol. He's probably got a special turquoise Batphone which lights up and rings when one of BoC make the 6 hour trek aross valleys, quagmires and pine forests to the nearest pay phone at the local inn.

Secret Squirrel Sandisons!

Ah, the "Internet as a double-edged sword" debate #1248458333883380022022291...

You can certainly look at it both ways - without the internet, would BoC be as popular (does that matter even? I can't imagine it does to BoC)? Just imagine if there was no internet to explain away all of BoC's mysteries (although I must admit it is LOADS of fun to "discover" the sources and origins of their tracks and messages they present, and the internet certainly helps in this regard) - people would have to discuss it via some other medium, like to each other... in person.

Radio Silence would be a decent name for the album, frankly.

Who said anything about that being the ALBUM title?

you're just giddy with this, aren't you...you wanna spill it, don't you. alright, i'll play along...EP title, then? or is it a pseudonym? tell me and i'll tell you what mom and dad got you for Christmas. deal? deal.

For the record, I have no clue what any of the BoC releases are called, going to be called, were called in previous planned but aborted versions, or anything. My statement was just to dismiss the certainty that the ALBUM would be called Radio Silence, which if it is or was at one point in it's many versions, it would be a huge coincidence on my part.

Without the internet i don't think boc would have anywhere near the following it does with all the conspiracy nonsense. plus, without the internet, if an obscure little band from scotland went 6 years without word after an album people would know they weren't a band anymore and would not even being discussing a new album.

That's a very good point. BoC fans would instead be like, 'wouldn't it be good if Boc re-formed and put out some new material'. I mean realistically if there is no new BoC material then there is no more BoC. Am I right or am I right? Actually why were we ever expecting any new material anyway? There has NEVER been any official word post the TCH EP. We all just expected BoC would keep going. I think it's sadly clear now that this is not infact the case.

That's correct - no official announcement has been made on any of BoC's usual Transmission Methods (WARP, their site, Facebook, etc.) We've only gotten statements from a Hexagon Sun representative about tentative plans, and not one concrete date or any other information. However, those statements were provided as a good will gesture to anxious fans wanting more info, so while it's understandable for statements like the above to be posted, the underlying fact is until BoC make an official announcement via an Approved Channel, it's also erroneous to assume BoC are not "going on".

Ah, the "Internet as a double-edged sword" debate #1248458333883380022022291...

You can certainly look at it both ways - without the internet, would BoC be as popular (does that matter even? I can't imagine it does to BoC)? Just imagine if there was no internet to explain away all of BoC's mysteries (although I must admit it is LOADS of fun to "discover" the sources and origins of their tracks and messages they present, and the internet certainly helps in this regard) - people would have to discuss it via some other medium, like to each other... in person.

i wasn't really debating anything. and i would imagine less fans means less money for boc, so i would think they would care about that. if they didn't care about that then they wouldn't be signing to a label and releasing music.

I dunno, they did link up to the Mystical Black Square on their Facebook page when somebody desperately asked the question if anything was forthcoming.

The thing is time has dragged on for so long, you have to have a good memory to remember all the little winks.

Archived