• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty good movie. It has a few funny bits that are actually funny unlike say Transformers where the jokes/characters make you want to kill yourself. Action sequences/CGI were about on par with Transformers series but maybe a bit more clear/less frantic yet a little too similar...

I couldn't get through the Thor movie but enjoyed Avengers quite a bit. I have seen Captain America (pretty average) and both Iron Man. The first Iron Man was the best marvel movie so far I reckon. This one is up there though.

Disclaimer: I was big into Marvel comics 20 years ago so a bit of nostalgia there. If I were 12 I would have shit myself seeing this.

Pretty good movie. It has a few funny bits that are actually funny unlike say Transformers where the jokes/characters make you want to kill yourself. Action sequences/CGI were about on par with Transformers series but maybe a bit more clear/less frantic yet a little too similar...

Thank fucking god i'm not the only one noticing, its bothering me a little. Are then using the same CGI company? Is there a template that hollywood movies are using to save money? what is going on?

yeah i really never got on board the Iron Man hype, i remember being shocked at the 90% rotten tomatoes rating as well. Very generic arab terrorist kidnapping plot, directed by John Faverau, probably only a notch above another actor turned director Peter Berg. It just didn't do anything risky at all, very plodding paint by numbers super hero movie with a cocky Robert Downy.

I prefer stuff like the spiderman series because it actually has some elements of creativity thrown in the mix and not just mediocre bullshit

probably the only reason people gave it such a pass is because a famous actor actually elevated a really bad boring script into something watchable, if it werent for that the movie would have been completely unbearable

when i think of Marvel i think of things more cartoonish and fantasy not some 'nolan verse' horse shit where things have to be set in the 'real world' seriously fuck tha,t i hope they stop doing it.

the only marvel movies that even remotely did it 'right' (and these movies still fall short of the mark) are Thor, the first Hulk (yep, not the 2nd one) and Punisher War Zone and the Spiderman series.

the brutal truth: They are all shit

but if that's too strong a pill to swallow, then I agree with you Awepittance.

I will say the orig Superman movies did have a strong effect on me as a child, I wonder how they'd hold up today (I know the vfx would look very dated, but I remember the acting being good...)

yeah i really never got on board the Iron Man hype, i remember being shocked at the 90% rotten tomatoes rating as well. Very generic arab terrorist kidnapping plot, directed by John Faverau, probably only a notch above another actor turned director Peter Berg. It just didn't do anything risky at all, very plodding paint by numbers super hero movie with a cocky Robert Downy.

I prefer stuff like the spiderman series because it actually has some elements of creativity thrown in the mix and not just mediocre bullshit

probably the only reason people gave it such a pass is because a famous actor actually elevated a really bad boring script into something watchable, if it werent for that the movie would have been completely unbearable

The problem with the Iron Man movies is its main character, the filmmakers worked hard enough to make him appealing to 14-year old kids and socially awkward men that throughout the whole movie they think "That's the person i want to be, i want to be that confident". Tony Stark is that rich asshole you see at the pubs showing off his millions and gold rolex to the very attractive whores.

i love Superman 1.

I think with most of these flicks, the first one is usually the best, simply because you get the creation myth, get to see them discovering their powers for the first time...

Guest zaphod

when i think of Marvel i think of things more cartoonish and fantasy not some 'nolan verse' horse shit where things have to be set in the 'real world' seriously fuck tha,t i hope they stop doing it.

the only marvel movies that even remotely did it 'right' (and these movies still fall short of the mark) are Thor, the first Hulk (yep, not the 2nd one) and Punisher War Zone and the Spiderman series.

i can't believe how much we agree on something, for once.

it was good. Never felt they were really in any danger though, given they are all pretty much invincible. A few token gestures of saving civilians. Some funny bits. Shit baddies. 6.5/10

To expand on this, and now with added rants:-

Comic geeks may be able to help me out here...

So now that Stark and Banner are best buddies (driving off in the car together at the end) and Stark has all of SHIELDs secrets copied over, where will this lead the story for Avengers 2? Is there some significance in the comics of this?

Also, I didnt understand the significance of Stark changing suits to the "experimental mark 7" which didnt seam to offer anything different to the normal suit he was wearing, other than he could call it by wearing a bracelet?

There were some areas of dialogue (Banner and Stark in the SHIELD research lab especially) that I felt could have been completely cut from the film. Boring stuff that did nothing (although fans may have been able to pull-out significance?)

Are black widow and hawkeye just humans? No special abilities apart from being kick-ass ninja's from what I can tell? Hawkeye got the bum deal in the team to be fair, but he held his own pretty well. Black Widow was awesome eye candy, and when Loki said the word "gushing" to her, well, I creamed....

The CGI robot fish things were just giant fish floating about in metal armour right? Not actually robots? As far as opponents go, I felt that they were pretty shit. None of the Avengers were actually in any danger at any point. They spent most of the film fighting each other only to be united by Nick Fury's trading card motivational speech (although I guess this was the point of the film, anyone can unite to form a strong unit and fight evil etc...). Loki got totally smashed up by Hulk in about 5 seconds. Also, when Hulk smashes Thor as a reflex, that was lol)

I was pleasantly surprised. I'm not a huge superhero-movie fan (except for Nolan's Batman). But this movie was quite fun (and slightly stupid).

Guest Gary C

By slightly stupid, do you mean there were a few facepalms? Because I facepalmed so hard when Iron Man started dancing in 2. And I facepalmed so hard during every scene with Natalie Portman in Thor.

Guest Shit Attack

watched this yesterday it has good action sequences but almost any time there was dialogue i couldnt pay attention, but dont know anything about the comics other than the characters + hadnt seen the other films. Also didnt understand who the reptalian robots from another dimension who were fighting for the bad guy were + the bad guy sucked anyways, he was almost the most generic villain of all time. It was entertaining enough tho mainly just for the action scenes which fortunately made up about half of the running time, other than that was pretty average stupid superhero stuff

By slightly stupid, do you mean there were a few facepalms? Because I facepalmed so hard when Iron Man started dancing in 2. And I facepalmed so hard during every scene with Natalie Portman in Thor.

Yeah it had it's facepalm worthy moment.

And I don't get why The Hulk was so popular with the crowd in theater. Everybody laughed hysterical of everthing he did. Maybe it's me, but really don't like The Hulk. Such an awful carachter. The same goes for Thor, Black Widow and Hawkeye. They are not very good characters and I've understood the concept of an old norse god being a superhero.

Captain America was cool though, and I do like Iron Man. But not the Robert Downing Jr. Iron Man. I don't remember Iron Man being that cocky and douchy as a kid. But I enjoyed the scenes where he didn't talk too much. And Loke and the Chitauri was some awful Villians.

But still.. I enjoyed the movie, it was fun. Better than most superhero-movies. I'm still shocked how bad The Wolverine movie was.

the brutal truth: They are all shit

WHOA WHOA WHOA! (That's French for 'stop a horse')

I will not allow anyone to call Punisher: War Zone shit. That movie is genius and nothing less.

So, is this worth paying £8 to see at the cinema?

From my point of view, pretty much a marvel amateur, no.

But if you jizz hard to the comics then undoubtedly yes.

Probably worth £8 alone is seeing black widow tied to a chair, and later when Loki says "gushing" to her.

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

I pretty much thought the Sam Raimi Spiderman trilogy was more lame than any of the marvel comic movies.

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

This movie was pretty fun, definitely a great theater experience. Only complaints are.. they didn't explain how Hulk could suddenly control himself to not just fuck up anything around him. I think Scarlett was one of the least convincing actors in the film, she is beautiful but I don't think she's mind blowingly hot or anything as Black Widow, she comes across slightly ackward and out of place to me. I thought the same when she was in Iron Man 2. It could have showed a little more of the Avengers before the introduction to SHIELD, something about the intro to the film didn't seem like it was interesting enough.

As soon as Tony Stark started getting screen time the movie was much more interesting. He really makes the character interactions a lot more entertaining.

RDJ is a pimp

This is one of the best Marvel films to date. If you want some bad ass idm/

alien

action sequences with Scarlett Johansson's ass playing a pivotal role in an action film? Then go see this.

Archived