Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

best comic book movie i've ever seen. and it has harry dean stanton in it.

Hah the lines and his demeanor in that scene were pretty funny. The whole theater was LoLing.

I felt like I child saying it but I really wouldn't mind paying to see it again. If it wasn't for all the movies I'm gonna pay to see this summer. It's really weird paying to see movies. I rarely ever do.

The last third of the movie was mad nerd boners all around.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

best comic book movie i've ever seen. and it has harry dean stanton in it.

I wouldn't have thought he would show up in a comic book movie, hell, I didn't know he was still alive.

I think Scarlett was one of the least convincing actors in the film, she is beautiful but I don't think she's mind blowingly hot or anything as Black Widow, she comes across slightly ackward and out of place to me. I thought the same when she was in Iron Man 2.

Yeah, I second that. She's just not a good actress. She has a career as long as she has a nice ass. Seemed like they sucked some of the inherent badass-ness out of Sam Jackson in this film, too. Maybe it's just because he couldn't curse. But overall I had fun watching this.

Also, a question for more knowledgeable comic book nerds...

Was that Thanos in the other dimension?

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

Yeah I didn't really wanna say it or think it but SLJ kinda seemed kinda as out of place as he did in Star Wars. He probably does just need to be able to swear to let his BAMF out.

Yes, your suspicion in your spoiler question is correct. I had to look it up after I saw it.

can someone please hire Joss Wheadon to do the next Hulk movie? Seriously, i can't think of a more accurate/pleasing portrayal of a comic book character brought to life on film ever. holy christ

i wished there was less Iron Man, a little more Thor. Captain America in Avengers was surprisingly good too, i hated the captain america movie so i wasn't expecting any of the satire, because that movie was dry as fuck. Lol, i can't believe they actually had Edgar Wright create a script for Antman / Wasp, Who working for marvel studios got fired over that decision? Pretty ballsy if you ask me, and i personally would have loved to see those characters in this movie instead of the ones that replaced them (black widow and hawkeye). Hawkeye's costume was really boring, if they went all out with the cheesy Cap costume, for christ sake give us some cheesy as hell purple and blue wears.

i forgot to stay for the ending credits surprise, is there a screencap floating around of that?

oh yeah, the chitari were extremely boring aliens. For giant hulking guys with laser rods, they sure got the living shit beat out of them by a couple of non super powered humans.

Skrulls would have been far cooler, especially ones that have Fantastic four powers

now all they need to do is get Nolan as far away as they can from DC properties, erase the memory of Green Lantern and actually do a proper DC comics fantasy come to life. I'd even be happy with a few really good Vertigo animated PG-13/R movies like Sandman, Swamp thing and Constantine. The last few DC comics animated movies have been really good. Red Hood and Legion of Doom were highly enjoyable.

was i the only one that thought the aircraft carrier action sequence was overall better than the 3rd act sequence? As far as just entertaining film-making goes, i thought the final fight scene (minus the parts with the hulk) was a little bit lacking in the proper beats and pacing.

yes Takeshi, that's who that was.

What a bad ass extra scene as well!!!!

The last scene in the film, after the credits, had me floling. SCHWARMA!

I thought the pacing was almost perfect for what this film is.

A mother fucking action film.

Lots of laughs as well.

Harry fucking Dean fucking Stanton!!!

Guest zaphod

was i the only one that thought the aircraft carrier action sequence was overall better than the 3rd act sequence? As far as just entertaining film-making goes, i thought the final fight scene (minus the parts with the hulk) was a little bit lacking in the proper beats and pacing.

yeah i agree. but i didn't really care. there were enough decent hulk moments to make it entertaining. when that final battle began i sort of rolled my eyes and went into transformers 3 sedate mode, but it ended up being ok. loki was good but the chitauri guys were boring. i also missed having spiderman as an avenger. i want these companies to realize the potential of a really cosmic sized franchise that they have and just allow all of their properties to get together. because the potential is there for a pretty huge movie. i'm not sure how a jla movie will ever come to be because they'll have to reboot everything. the new superman is going to suck, i'm sick of nolan's batman, and green lantern has to be remade. plus a new wonder woman movie. the dc movies haven't been even in tone so there's no way for a justice league movie to work, plus it will take at least a decade to completely reboot everything. but avengers was really fun. it isn't perfect but the only complaints i really have are basically fanboy nitpicks.

Just got out of the theater seeing this, I thought it was quite good, and this coming from the guy who said "all these films are shit." I stand by that, but this was a very well put together film. Best part about it were the vfx, they were amazing, almost flawless. I can count all the bad-looking shots on one hand. The humor was pretty fresh too, I loled at a few parts.

It's a watershed film of a sort, in the sense that it's the first time I can recall an epic city-wide fight with large scale destruction looking convincing. Bay almost pulled it off in Transformers 3 (an otherwise execrable film) but this was even better. There's really nowhere to go from here as far as spectacle goes. Well, come to think of it, 2012 also set the bar really high.

All praise aside, I won't lie that I was mildly bored through most of it, but I chalk that up to age. Once you've reached a certain age everything becomes formulaic. Towards the start I realized "oh damn, they're starting off by fighting each other, that means it's gonna be a fucking long film, as they still have to move on to fighting the bad guys..." So it doesn't break free of storytelling cliches, but as a crowd-pleaser, it's pretty solid.

I was really impressed by the special effects too.

Yes. I could probably watch a whole movie of Thor fighting the Hulk. Somebody needs to make that buddy cop movie.

I did get a few Green Lantern chills during the opening scenes. Kinda figured it would have opened with a more bang but they knew not to stay in that dimension for too long.

since Avengers was such a success they could use the upcoming Thor and Iron Man sequels as an excuse to throw more Marvel characters into the mix. . The new Thor movie should be a buddy cop movie with Hulk where they just go around the galaxy beating up aliens.

Guest zaphod

i think they have to do that. to set up

thanos

there are a number of characters who need to be introduced. and they're mostly tied to thor. i'm hoping disney can acquire the rights to every character now that this movie is seemingly a major box office success, because i don't see how another one can happen without bringing in more avengers.

yeah i agree. but i didn't really care. there were enough decent hulk moments to make it entertaining. when that final battle began i sort of rolled my eyes and went into transformers 3 sedate mode, but it ended up being ok. loki was good but the chitauri guys were boring. i also missed having spiderman as an avenger. i want these companies to realize the potential of a really cosmic sized franchise that they have and just allow all of their properties to get together. because the potential is there for a pretty huge movie. i'm not sure how a jla movie will ever come to be because they'll have to reboot everything. the new superman is going to suck, i'm sick of nolan's batman, and green lantern has to be remade. plus a new wonder woman movie. the dc movies haven't been even in tone so there's no way for a justice league movie to work, plus it will take at least a decade to completely reboot everything. but avengers was really fun. it isn't perfect but the only complaints i really have are basically fanboy nitpicks.

i know you checked out allstar superman but what about the other recent DC animated movies? Ive been really impressed by the quality of them especially how much they suck you in and keep your attention. I think the only one i didnt really enjoy was the wonderwoman one.

Guest zaphod

i've seen most of them. they vary in quality but i've liked them thus far. actually, if i'm honest, i prefer the animated films to any of the live action dc universe stuff. batman: under the red hood was really good. year one was as well. i just wish christopher nolan would stay away from dc stuff instead of producing superman and whatever else. tonally his "vision" doesn't work. it's gotten less and less interesting since batman begins, which is still the best live action dc movie for me. watching the trailer for dkr before avengers showed how underwhelming those films are. no one took that trailer seriously and there was actually some laughter throughout the quieter parts. if i want silver age superman i also would like the detective comics batman, something that balances the "gritty" nolan stuff with burton's gothic look, but without the high school level philosophizing. and i really want to see that grey batsuit instead of the jim lee military grade thing they use in nolan's films.

the animated series is still the best batman anyone has done. brave and the bold was good as well.

igot really high one night and started writing a swamp thing script for a cartoon movie, i mean looking at it sober clearly it was embarrassing but after doing it i know that in the proper hands a great story can be made out of some of the more complex DC characters. Even if they just did a one off mini movie where Swamp thing first meets Constantine and realizes he's part of a bigger world i would jizz my pants. Throw in the Swamp thing Vs the underwater vampire city as the 3rd act, and it would be awesome

Guest zaphod

alan moore's run on swamp thing is my favorite comic. i would love to see a decent adaptation.

Guest zaphod

supposedly transmetropolitan was being adapted as an animated series at some point but it never got off the ground. there's a lot of properties that aren't superhero related that i'd love to see. grant morrison's stuff like filth or the invisibles would be really cool to see as tv shows.

i feel the same way, he put so much of his soul and energy into that story. The Abby and Swamp thing relationship in of itself is probably the most touching love story i've encountered in any comic. So many aspects of it are magical

if an animated movie was made i'd love for them to include these

start out with a long flashback to this, the tone could be set as some sort of identity crisis for him

ST021.jpg

start in the present with this

ST043.gif

show abby and him having sex for the first time through the use of his fruits, and him choosing to sublimate his true identity for a human relationship with abby

and the 2nd and 3rd act would be this story

ST037.gifST039.jpg

I haven't seen the film yet, but I just wanted to jump in and say that I think they should make a film about one of the oddest comic story lines that I ever read. It was based on Wild Thing (Wolverine's granddaughter), who is a cyberpunk virtual reality cop/detective, investigating murders that take place within the VR universe. The murderer uses VR versions of Venom, Carnage & Spiderman to commit the crimes.

wildthingnikkidoyle3.jpg

Guest zaphod

isn't wild thing wolverine's daughter? i've read some of the mc2 stuff but i think you're confusing that with nikki doyle, the other wild thing, who had nothing to do with that universe.

Guest zaphod

i don't know if that was ever official. the original superman is interesting and i think if you were going to do a "grounded" nolan style take it would have to be that one. he can't fly, it's basically an adolescent power fantasy and the setting is naturally dreary. but it's not something i'd want to see.

Archived