IGNORED

herbal medicines

Guest viscosity

Guest fiznuthian

coconut milk combined with grass-fed butter and the meat i consume has shot my saturated fat intake up to 200+ grams daily. i'm now entirely comfortable eating zero sugar (i do enjoy fructose in the form of fruit, as snacks and carb load), zero grains, and zero dairy.. i have no cravings for any of them anymore.

you won't hear me touting anything on WATMM about herbal remedies, supplements, or any other magical blah anymore. it's become facepalm obvious that eating quality meat, vegetables, and fruit exclusively makes NONE of that stuff necessary. i'm about to make the switch to 100% farmer's market for all of my dietary needs. and eating this way has absolutely blown my time as a vegetarian and pescetarian out of the water, not even close.

i've thrown every supplement i have away except for fish oil for when i can't find fresh wild fish, my mushroom extracts in case my immune system is ever under attack by invading pathogens, and melatonin to reset my sleep cycle.. doubt i'll use melatonin for some time though.. I wake up out of bed with more energy than ever regardless of how sleep deprived i am. PALEO RAWR

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am curious what watthem thinks of non-herbal remedies (er, isolated chemicals or "drugs" if you will). My stance is thus: they're way more fucking idm and i adore them. I also adore many illegal drugs. Plenty of herbal remedies get turned into synthetic pharmaceuticals, often with great success.

While I agree that eating good food and exercising is the top of the healthy-to-do list, I get a lot of mileage out of nootropics and they've never done me any harm (that I know of!).

Herbal pills/extracts are usually iffy for one main reason: no quality control. How do you know what you're getting? It's usually just powder, and if the effect is "subtle", you may in fact be eating irradiated dirt - how would you test it? I'm somewhat glad this is the situation (let me explain) as it largely keeps the FDA out of the picture [in the states] until some kids eat too much of something and die [usually in florida or iowa - fuck you guys], but it does make it difficult to know what you're getting for your dollar.

Thank goodness for the internet and overseas mail order. :cisfor:

Guest fiznuthian

Well now that you mention them, I have had my eye on the nootropics and they are interesting.. I suppose whether they are useful depends on your goals. Increasing cognitive efficiency, memory retention, etc is pretty cool.

I think the field of pharmacology is both a nightmare and potentially one of the most useful tools for modern man. The pharmaceutical industry has their hands in god damn everything, they are lying to people to make profit, and even most doctors can not be trusted now. They prefer to put someone on statins rather than enforce a non-processed food diet. They'll hand out anti-depressants rather than encouraging exercise, therapies, and social behavior. They'll hand out insulin shots rather than tell a T2 diabetic to stop punishing themselves with insulin-sensitivity destroying carbohydrates.

But at the same time drugs can also be incredibly useful... so I am split.

Psychadelics alone had a huge role to play in diminishing my social anxiety, and I have them to thank for that.. I am overjoyed that I was able to realize being put on benzos and SSRIs was not in my interest. Psilocybin in particular, made a drastic change in the way I view myself.. it hasn't changed either, and I haven't consumed any mushrooms for a long time now.

I totally agree that ensuring what you are getting in supplements is near impossible. Very few supplement companies I trust. The FDA are a bunch of idiots too, they have no idea what they are doing in my opinion. And their policies rarely if ever reflect research research developments and change in consensus

afaik, the main effect of colloidal silver is to turn people into shit eating na'vi.

blue-karason.jpg

Like I said, you have to make them right. If you boil them at a temperature too low, you will get silver poisoning, and therefore, turn blue. The guy giving the speech stood by them, and has been drinking/taking it for over a year now. Claims he hasn't been remotely sick and that his previously severe allergies are much much more mild.

Edited for spelling.

No, he was a student in my university public speaking class. I've since done some reading, and this stuff seems pretty legit. Google search Colloidal Silver Remedies.

Also, the blue man that is in a spoiler above was actually a hoax. Apparently sensationalized by the drug companies. So ha.

I've been taking Fish Oil capsules (1 , 3 times a day, unless I eat fish for a meal) , St. John's Wort capsules (1, 3 times a day), Kava Kava capsules (1 (unless I feel more would be nice) 3 times a day) , along with about 8 cups of green tea a day...veering sightly from the topic, I also take a B 12 Vitamin every morning, a Centrum Silver after each dinner, and a 3mg Melatonin pill each night before bed. I've been listening to a lot of Autechre lately, a long with the usual Ween, and some Pandora radio...I've been reading a lot, righ tnotoeqaweyhgwrgbv :mellow::huh::happy::ohmy::wink::biggrin::lol::cool::rolleyes::sleep:

eat lots of Pesto with low carb pasta. its the ultimate dish..Whole wheat. Olive oil. Parmesan. Raw garlic. Raw nuts. Basil. its beautiful.

id like to switch to green tea. my addict personality has taken coffee too far

There's a good documentary that, I believe, has been posted on WATMM before, called Food Matters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwZY1jaw2EM

There's a segment in the documentary that's about vitamin C and how it can improve your depression. I started taking vitamins recently, and maybe it's a placebo effect, but I feel a lot better. So I suppose that's one way to improve your mood.

I want to start eating raw cacao.

No, he was a student in my university public speaking class. I've since done some reading, and this stuff seems pretty legit. Google search Colloidal Silver Remedies.

Also, the blue man that is in a spoiler above was actually a hoax. Apparently sensationalized by the drug companies. So ha.

craziness! i just did some (very quick) reading and it seems you are correct sir, so thank you for bringing this to my attention. i'm coming down with a cold right now and i could use a "permanent immune booster..." gonna have to do some more reading!

on the same immune-booster subject, has anybody tried 'oil of oregano'? a very rich man once gave me a bottle of it and good hell it's got a powerful taste. i'd never bought any because it runs about $40-50/bottle out here, but he swore that if you felt a cold coming on, the best thing to do was put a few drops under your tongue each morning until the symptoms went away. i think i'll go dig that bottle out right now (snake oil or not, it was free).

edit! I dunno if the blue man was a "hoax", but that's not what happens to everyone that takes colloidal silver. He was dosing himself with home-brewed colloidal silver, in amounts way higher than are recommended for its immune boosting properties (I guess turning blue from this sort of thing is called Argyria)... That's Portland for you. :cisfor:

double edit: that dude was also apparently rubbing colloidal silver on his skin. that'd do it.

Well now that you mention them, I have had my eye on the nootropics and they are interesting.. I suppose whether they are useful depends on your goals. Increasing cognitive efficiency, memory retention, etc is pretty cool.

I think the field of pharmacology is both a nightmare and potentially one of the most useful tools for modern man. The pharmaceutical industry has their hands in god damn everything, they are lying to people to make profit, and even most doctors can not be trusted now. They prefer to put someone on statins rather than enforce a non-processed food diet. They'll hand out anti-depressants rather than encouraging exercise, therapies, and social behavior. They'll hand out insulin shots rather than tell a T2 diabetic to stop punishing themselves with insulin-sensitivity destroying carbohydrates.

But at the same time drugs can also be incredibly useful... so I am split.

Psychadelics alone had a huge role to play in diminishing my social anxiety, and I have them to thank for that.. I am overjoyed that I was able to realize being put on benzos and SSRIs was not in my interest. Psilocybin in particular, made a drastic change in the way I view myself.. it hasn't changed either, and I haven't consumed any mushrooms for a long time now.

I totally agree that ensuring what you are getting in supplements is near impossible. Very few supplement companies I trust. The FDA are a bunch of idiots too, they have no idea what they are doing in my opinion. And their policies rarely if ever reflect research research developments and change in consensus

oh yeah, and i agree with everything you said here, fiz. If you are interested in trying nootropics, I suggest you start with piracetam (and a choline supplement - it comes in many forms, and I use choline citrate, but if you can afford it, alpha GPC is supposed to be more effective. eating substantial daily amounts of eggs/meat/dairy would probably work too).

http://www.purestcol...om/blue-man.php

edit! I dunno if the blue man was a "hoax", but that's not what happens to everyone that takes colloidal silver. He was dosing himself with home-brewed colloidal silver, in amounts way higher than are recommended for its immune boosting properties (I guess turning blue from this sort of thing is called Argyria)... That's Portland for you. :cisfor:

Here's a link the the article. http://www.purestcol...om/blue-man.php

Hoax may have been a strong word. In short, he wasn't making colloidal silver, which is why he's blue. If you were to start taking colloidal silver, I'd recommend making it yourself. Cheap as free once you have the kit. I'm going to delve into this once I have the funds to buy a kit.

Edit: I hope this stuff helps my allergies. Been having horrible allergy attacks all morning. The red itchy eyes in combination with my white-boy dreads probably make me look like a huge stoner.

hm, interesting. here's the article I found:

http://www.prlog.org/10761975-colloidal-silver-turns-you-blue-myth-of-fact.html

Some alarm was recently spread through reports that the continual ingestion of colloidal silver could turn one’s skin blue. On 27 May 2008, Paul Karason from Oregon, USA, appeared on a very popular American talk-show and prominently revealed his blue face to millions of viewers round the world. The medical term for his condition, Argyria, is described as a medically harmless but permanent bluish-grey discolouration resulting from silver deposits in the skin. The condition has been linked to the intake of colloidal silver although Karason believes it came about through rubbing the product on to his skin while treating dermatitis.

Karason’s television appearance has led to much wild speculation and unauthenticated claims to generally discredit a product which has a proven track record of remarkable therapeutic results. He continues to sing the praises of colloidal silver and claims he will continue taking it.

For almost two decades, Karason manufactured his own colloidal silver and for many years drank a litre or more per day. Any over-the-counter medication consumed in such quantities is likely to have a very harmful, if not fatal, effect. Poorly manufactured colloidal silver (particularly home brews) taken to ridiculous excess could result in Argyria but will never prove fatal. Colloidal silver manufactured under strict laboratory standards and taken according to the recommended dosage is a safe and very good product to use.

from the link you just posted...

The moral of the story is to know the difference between true colloidal silver and ionic silver or silver proteins, and don't try to make either at home! (True colloidal silver cannot be made at home.)

:shrug:

Idk. From what I've read, that quote at the end is blatantly false. It is safest if you make it yourself (as long as you know what you are doing). If he truly did make colloidal silver, he made it too concentrated (didn't know what he was doing). Also, a liter per day is a bit much. I've been hearing more like 1 to 2 tsp per day.

Guest fiznuthian

Kava Kava is like a natural benzo

i'm gettin 84% Kavalactone Paste from Hawaii http://www.konakavaf...avalactone.html

which is about 3x the potency of the pills i got

plan on brushing my teeth with this stuff, should numb my gums

fascinating. damn you, i'm going to spend money again on something i shouldn't. :w00t:

Guest viscosity

if you're buying stuff from kona kava, you might want to try out their kratom, too... not exactly a remedy, but it's a good time :sup:

I can't find the kratom on their site. maybe they discontinued it?

Archived