IGNORED

Skrillex - Discuss, Debate, Praise, Hate

YEK

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the last year or so, I've been convinced that Skrillex was just an elaborate prank by Corey Feldman. Slowly, I'm coming to the uncomfortable realization that this is not the case.

Who exactly does WATMM hate more?

Skrillex or BT

Go

Who's BT?

holder of the guinness world record for the longest snare rush in history.

four years and still going.

maybe skrillex has an account in here, how long before he makes a righteous appearance?

maybe skrillex has an account in here, how long before he makes a righteous appearance?

Isn't he 'sonny' on here? Or was that just a joke?

I actually don't understand why everyone here has such profound hate for him.

i agree maybe u dont like skrillexes music (i dont like some esp. when he does randomly wobbles in the middle of his songs) but he made also some cool songs and even if u dont like them u shouldent hit the man just cuz u dont like his music and avbove all else remember theres not such a thing as bad music :sup:

I don't hate the dude, but I have kicked out a friend recently from my office and made him wait down stairs when he brought up skrillex and deadmau5 in the same sentence.

Why is it that when a genre crosses over the pond to the states is simply distilled to its distinct characteristic and then it becomes the only characteristic that is then pushed forward. The wobble-bass was a part of dubstep but it had much more things, but since coming to the US it has become the only thing that carries a track and the people gobble it up.

But the UK ruined Juke. Also.

i love how protective britains are over their throw away watered down plundered jamaican music genres

Yes you're not British. But I think it still applies.

I'll take Skrillex over Deadmau5 any day. Then again, I've only listened to this, and I enjoy the bass warbly (can't stand that awful benassi part though).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaIZ0mUJzr0

With that said, I don't like his music, and I recognize that dubstep has been around forever (why it's entering the pop scene NOW is beyond me). I also can't stand him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkzBqKTideM&feature=player_embedded

.I'll take Skrillex over Deadmau5 any day. Then again, I've only listened to this, and I enjoy the bass warbly (can't stand that awful benassi part though).

Skrillex is arguably more "interesting" and energetic at least. Some of these currently hyped producers seem to be incorporating MIDI in their performance too (Pretty Lights). But at the same time, I don't find it very superficial compared to traditional DJ mixing and rave music of the past, or the music of the beat scene or "future bass" producers back in Europe. Hell, I even find Girl Talk performances far more sincere and fun to dance to. This whole increasingly ridiculous wobble drop circle jerk marathon nonsense has to get old at some point, even if you are a hyperactive, superficial, intoxicated teen or young twentysomething. You can't brostep day after day without getting burned out at some point.

I don't hate the dude, but I have kicked out a friend recently from my office and made him wait down stairs when he brought up skrillex and deadmau5 in the same sentence.

Nice. I've just managed to ignore it. I find the appeal of these producers a bit intriguing, I have a friend whose cousin has literally considering get the same haircut as skrillex (a skrillet? skrillhawk? skrillrows?) and literally went to every showcase and free show he threw during sxsw. She's nice enough and listens to what most people would consider decent indie music beyond EDM, which makes it more of a head-scratcher.

It's not even the appropriation of the term "dubstep" that bugs me, it's the fact that after all of the decades of various, diverse dance music genres and scenes, brostep is what ushered in the recent mainstream interest in electronic music. But then again, electrohouse seemed to fizzle out. There was Big Beat just over ten years ago and the sprinkling of House in pop hits back in the early 90s. This could just all be a fad to look back on next year.

the best part of that whole vid is the guy yellin' "YOU CAN'T DO THAT! YOU CAN'T DO THAT!"

*edit... I was talking about one of the vids after King of the Hill... Sorry.

For the last year or so, I've been convinced that Skrillex was just an elaborate prank by Corey Feldman. Slowly, I'm coming to the uncomfortable realization that this is not the case.

skrillex-totally-looks-like-corey-feldman-from-stand-by-me.jpg?w=401&h=271

Archived