IGNORED

Skrillex - Discuss, Debate, Praise, Hate

YEK

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My biggest dilema is respecting the guy. It's not the music itself: even though I hate it I'm a "to each their own" person, my problems were always the "dubstep" label and the ignorance of the fans.

My introduction to the guy was this article. I found it when during the discussion about the Britney Spears album. First the article (fuck MTV btw) referred to him as a "dubstep star." It talked about him and his fans as "purist EDM fans" compared to Britney and her following or some shit, blah blah. It mentioned he was on deadmau5 label and I was like "when did that guy latch onto dubstep?" But this quote just killed me:

"I thought the dubstep part was unnecessary," he continued. "Not to say it was done wrong. I feel like it was very self-aware and consciously put in there to be 'the dubstep part.' I can see a lot of people getting pissed about it — the purist dubstep and drum and bass fans — but at the end of the day, it's cool that people are trying new things. Sooner or later, anything that happens in the underground — be it watered down or not — it always makes itself into the mainstream. It's cool to hear." :cerious:

^What the fuck does that mean!? It reads like a presidential debate answer. This was all just as I was becoming aware of the brostep onslaught, so when I heard his music I was quite flabbergasted. Hell, I actually found the new Britney Spears far more enjoyable and better producer. Then I found out he was in From First to Last, then I found out he was using pirated software, then the Korn collaboration emerged. So it was easy to hate the guy.

I know fans of his who both acknowledge he isn't dubstep, and like good dubstep, but still listen to him (which is perfectly a-ok) but then their are those who call him dubstep and troll anyone who doesn't like drops, wub wub, and "new artists." Fuck those morons. Sometimes he seems to embrace the dubstep label, as he did in the interview, but lately he seems to complain about being hated for he seems to miss the point that people dislike he appropriation of a genre and scene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0MIxoM_o_8

Then on top of everything this term "complextro" emerged by fans to describe his music. I appreciate it in one sense (it's appropriating dubstep or EDM) but its still a stupid, self-serving (i.e. "dude, these tunez are sooo complex brah!") I start to respect him for just doing his own thing, and then I see him a fucking Burzum shirt, which just pissed me off royally.

tumblr_lbaabkXVNl1qzd16ro1_500.jpg

Is that supposed to be hyper-ironic? Is he aware Varg would probably want to stab him in the face and kill most of his fans? Is he aware that Darkthrone has a far more varied and rich discography? I mean seriously WTF!?

So I dunno what to think anymore. I hope he'll just plug along as a quasi-mainstream DJ and not bother me personally (like Tiesto, deadmau5, Pretty Lights...all the meh DJs who get press from MTV or Spin but not Pfork or RA or FACT Mag). Then I saw his name ABOVE Aphex Twin on this...

fmf-fnews-oct-ai1-jpg.jpg

So there you go. I'm just looking at all of it as if it's a dark, strange, never-ending satire. I mean, as soon as "dubstep" lost subbass and rhythmic experimentation and became lazy 4/4 beats and drill n' fart synth leads, I kind of gave up. It all occurred so fast...it'd be like if Nirvana's Nevermind was respected but not popular, and instead just a year later Nickelback becoming famous and synomous to most people as "grunge." I know its happened to other genres and scenes (Emo going from indie punk subgenre to internet meme back in the early/mid-2000s) so guess it's my turn to be the confused, somewhat bitter old guy. I'm actually quite over it, that was just a rant of how I've felt over the last year.

I feel like he's the product of very superficial research into what was "cool" in the past decade or so.

i.e. the real life equivalent of:

01.jpg

I don't see any real human personality in what he does. It's the cliff's notes for good music without any of the actual substance.

I actually hate Dubstep, but I enjoy Skrillex because to me its like a sarcastic version of Dubstep. I'm sure he's dead serious about it, but to me its like watching a Godzilla movie, I don't take it seriously, and enjoy its cheese.

Btw its natural for all you guys to grow up and despise the music younger people listen to, I think all the old people I know do this. The ones who act like they are into hip hop and stuff now are wierdos.

I'm ashamed that I've actually told people I like Dubstep. I was really hyping it a few years ago.

But that was before Skrillex, Mt. Eden, Chase & Status and so on got big. Now people think I like that kind of shit. The other day a friend on fb shared a Mt. Eden song on my wall and was like "Hey, you like dubstep right?! Check this out!"

Sigh :facepalm:

Fucking brostep man.

Then on top of everything this term "complextro" emerged by fans to describe his music. I appreciate it in one sense (it's appropriating dubstep or EDM) but its still a stupid, self-serving (i.e. "dude, these tunez are sooo complex brah!")

That's possibly a more pretentious term than 'intelligent dance music.'

Btw its natural for all you guys to grow up and despise the music younger people listen to, I think all the old people I know do this.

I don't think it's an age thing. There is plenty of newer music that I like a lot.

Btw its natural for all you guys to grow up and despise the music younger people listen to, I think all the old people I know do this. The ones who act like they are into hip hop and stuff now are wierdos.

This.

Music is so important to our personality and when you see stuff you like appropriated by the plebs it feels like being raped. Does it mean that you are actually one of them? That you have bad taste? Are they making fun of you? Are you getting old? Is it time to grow up and give up music? Why is he famous and you are not? Etc. It's sort of a genuine and painful problem.

i finally went and listened to skrillex today, i got that "more monsters and sprites" album. not bad and pretty well produced. but to be honest with all the hype, i was seriously expecting to be blown away with some incredible music, and made to think, "wow, maybe i shouldn't have cast off all those fans and all those people, i guess they are into something that is not that bad". instead i just heard some progressive dubstep that is ok.

Tween Wave?

Season 15

You're Getting Old

Randy and Sharon argue over the "quality" of the boys' music.

http://www.southpark...ure-getting-old

will have to watch this when I get home, the south park lads are usually spot on with stuff like this

fmf-fnews-oct-ai1-jpg.jpg

who the f are Swedish House Mafia?

Btw its natural for all you guys to grow up and despise the music younger people listen to, I think all the old people I know do this.

I don't think it's an age thing. There is plenty of newer music that I like a lot.

this. that's part of the reason I'm moving to a "meh who cares" attitude

Then on top of everything this term "complextro" emerged by fans to describe his music. I appreciate it in one sense (it's appropriating dubstep or EDM) but its still a stupid, self-serving (i.e. "dude, these tunez are sooo complex brah!")

That's possibly a more pretentious term than 'intelligent dance music.'

IT IS I, COMPLEXTRO.

10749729.jpg

who the f are Swedish House Mafia?

srsly, I'm like "oh those dudes...no, no wait I'm thinking of Plump DJ's...or maybe Simian Mobile Disco...yeah, who the fuck are these guys?!"

Sounds like a media created name for a hypothetical Scandinavian real estate scam operation.

i got that milanese extend album years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. does that mean i like dubstep? is that even considered dubstep? i have no idea what dubstep is. i thought burial was considered dubstep.

dubstep

ppl need to chill out about skrillex hes just doing his thing. if u get offended by skrillexes music or fans your a either pyschopath or something else i wont say

i think 99% of skrillex hating is echo chambers fake rage

and the other % is people with serious issues should go to a psychologyst probably :shrug:

whaz wrong with all dose nu "future garage" songs where all you can hear is dat lo-fi burial dub beetz?

it doesnt get on yor nerves just wobble does it???

most of da songs posted on other thread are with this 2-steps lo-fy beetz...

i got that milanese extend album years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. does that mean i like dubstep? is that even considered dubstep? i have no idea what dubstep is. i thought burial was considered dubstep.

dubstep

Yes, though his stuff is pretty heavy and glitchy and arguably Grime.

Dubstep is was 70/140 bpm sub-bass heavy music made in London and intended to be played out live on big systems. It's one many UK Garage derivatives, along with Grime and 2-Step, the later of which Burial is technically closer to. Part of the reason I've stop caring that "dubstep" is being appropriated is because most its originators have moved on from the sparse instrumental dubplate productions and onto to more varied music. It's arguably outdated. Now "future bass" and "post-dubstep" :facepalm: and "bass music" are all terms for people trying to distinguish themselves from what they would deem brostep.

Too many genres in electronic music. Its silly.

So no point getting upset if someone has 'ruined' some hyper-specific genre.

Its all just beats, basslines and other stuff at slightly different speeds and patterns and vibes. Why does everything need to be categorised?

I have heard some Skrillex and it was kindof interesting, as in I havent heard such abrasive electronica get popular before.

dont particularly hate it or like it.

Archived