IGNORED

stunning ww2 photos

data

i know most people are probably sick and tired of anything ww2-related, but these photos coupled with the captions are pretty awesome, and i figured it might be of interest to some of you.

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/ww2.html

s_w13_1a35228u.jpg

s_w04_1a35329u.jpg

s_w24_04010148.jpg

Two American Nazis in uniform stand in the doorway of their New York City office, on April 1, 1932, when the headquarters opened.

Guest Pennywise

w01_06120182.jpgSymbolic of the defense of Sevastopol, Crimea, is this Russian girl sniper, Lyudmila Pavlichenko, who, by the end of the war, had killed a confrimed 309 Germans -- the most successful female sniper in history.

Amazing photo, what a woman.

w01_06120182.jpgSymbolic of the defense of Sevastopol, Crimea, is this Russian girl sniper, Lyudmila Pavlichenko, who, by the end of the war, had killed a confrimed 309 Germans -- the most successful female sniper in history.

Amazing photo, what a woman.

Soviets produced a plethora of badass female soldiers. They fielded all-female combat squadrons as well, including bomber units the Germans dubbed "The Night Witches" PRI ran a good story on them: http://www.theworld.org/2009/11/night-witches/

tumblr_lg4l34XG0v1qdwvkxo1_500.jpg

I just waded through the "holocaust" section...

fuck I feel bad even seeing these images. They definitely shouldn't be kept locked away, but I feel pretty ashamed for how bad things were and I feel intrusive and disrespectful seeing the remains of these people. I think any of these photos are more graphically affecting than most war films.

fuck I feel bad even seeing these images. They definitely shouldn't be kept locked away, but I feel pretty ashamed for how bad things were and I feel intrusive and disrespectful seeing the remains of these people. I think any of these photos are more graphically affecting than most war films.

I've been a huge WW2 buff since I was a kid (back then I found the equipment more interesting) and I often reflect how much my attitude has changed about the war. As much as it was "the good war" or actual "good vs evil" it's a bit strange how much it's been romanticized in pop culture, whether it be a backdrop of a plot or just toned-down patriot films, especially in the US and UK. These kind of galleries and documentaries shatter that kind of impression. I wish more people would reflect on those facts and realities.

s_w24_04010148.jpg

Two American Nazis in uniform stand in the doorway of their New York City office, on April 1, 1932, when the headquarters opened.

Skinheads with an office. hah, it's quite funny to think about.

It's cool seeing the fashion for clothes at the time, in colour rather than drab black and white. It gives the era a different sheen, makes it seem less divorced from our reality.

oh and .....

s_w08_1a34867u.jpg

She's so dreamy.

listen to this when you look at them.

Jesus Christ.

s_w17_1507801_.jpg

needs explanation.

A U.S. soldier inspects thousands of gold wedding bands taken from Jews by the Germans and stashed in the Heilbronn Salt Mines, on May 3, 1945 in Germany.

Archived