IGNORED

Orbital - Wonky

mcbpete

Hahahaha

O man, this new track will file under "progressive" or "tech house" at Beatport. Along with Deadmau5. Nuff said. The tacky midi piano sounded promising to my ears, btw. It was around the 1.45 mark that all hell broke loose and they suddenly seemed to decide to ride the wave of the masses.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

my question is: why do fans of orbital try to excuse this? doesn't it kind of devalue the good things they did in the 90s to keep on making excuses for worse and worse efforts nowadays? not trying to be inflammatory just wondering

That uncut reviewer says straight sun sounds like snivilisation which it clearly does not. Some of the sounds are similar to earlier stuff but the tone and everything else is different. This is just some kind of dance music. I liked the other track better, but I'm still pumped to hear the album, been following them since late 90s.

Another new track. It's ok. Sounds nothing like Orbital. Has embarrassing wubwubwub bass line. Apart from that, it's "nice".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9USCcjfNm8&ob=av2e

it's too simple. from the sound design to the melodies. the last minute or so it just starts to approach what you might expect from orbital, but... it lacks that overwhelming force that pushes a track from "just music" to "an experience"...

Well, that was b-side-tastic fun, wasn't it? (er, Straight Sun that was) This all reminds me of the 'pleasant but pointless' run of tracks near the beginning of Blue, Pants/Lost/Tunnel Vision/You Lot. Actually, I have a feeling this won't be entirely different as a record:

One Big Moment

Straight Sun

Never

New France (with Zola Jesus)

Distractions

Stringy Acid

Beelzedub

Wonky

Where Is It Going?

I actually had to turn that New France track off. Is that real? Jesus.

Oddly, of all the tracks I've heard so far this is the one I've liked the most.... Bit poppy, and the opening sounds like a demo for a new Native Instruments product but it builds up quite nice.

Oddly, of all the tracks I've heard so far this is the one I've liked the most.... Bit poppy, and the opening sounds like a demo for a new Native Instruments product but it builds up quite nice.

Yeah I'm definitely gonna have to agree.

However, I suspect that this will be the best song on the album. And I like this as much as I like the... I dunno.... "milder" tracks on their earlier albums. It doesn't feel like a highlight, just really good filler.

So while I know I won't be able to resist listening to the album... I know I won't like it very much.

But then... maybe it will grow on me in time. This is not Orbital though. I will never (lol) be able to listen to something like this as Orbital. Just some new band with a very cheesy 90's aspect to them.

I've decided that if I buy this, I'm going to get all the early singles that I'm missing (Chime and Omen aside, I'm not made of money) to have on standby for when it's finished and I feel angry at how shit it is.

I've decided that if I buy this, I'm going to get all the early singles that I'm missing (Chime and Omen aside, I'm not made of money) to have on standby for when it's finished and I feel angry at how shit it is.

OH MY GOD I literally had the exact same idea! Are you being serious? Because... I seriously was thinking of doing that. I downloaded a few last year and thought... these are so good, I need a hard copy.

Then I thought, if I buy this album, I'm gonna need to take something immediately afterwards to restore my faith in humanity, and those early singles/b-sides will be just the right medicine....

I'll not be buying this. If these tracks are what they expect to whet appetites with, I can rest assured this album is going to suck royally. But I'm really curious about the reaction to this, especially by critics. This could be a really good litmus test...

Resign yourselves to the notion that this is going to be another of their "pop" albums like 'The Altogether' that, to be fair, had its moments, and you'll be fine. Having thought about it for a while, to expect a return to 'In Sides', The Brown Album or anything else from that era is just deluded. It was never going to happen.

As long as its better than the 'Blue Album' I'll be reasonably happy. Incacty quite like 'New France' now. But who the hell is Zola Jesus?

Resign yourselves to the notion that this is going to be another of their "pop" albums like 'The Altogether' that, to be fair, had its moments, and you'll be fine. Having thought about it for a while, to expect a return to 'In Sides', The Brown Album or anything else from that era is just deluded. It was never going to happen.

As long as its better than the 'Blue Album' I'll be reasonably happy. Incacty quite like 'New France' now. But who the hell is Zola Jesus?

I'm sure I've heard the name before, but she's on the first track on M83's last album too.

In some ways I think The Altogether is better than the Green album. Green is more consistent, but you're right, taken as a pop album, Altogether has some really nice moments like Funny Break, Waving Not Drowning, the Doctor Who cover, even Tension, as silly as it is. I enjoy those tracks more than anything off Green (except Belfast of course). But then, Altogether also has some really really cringe-worthy moments like Tootled and Oi, I find it VERY difficult to sit through those tracks. Even Desert Storm, a solid 12 minutes of "meh" is easier to swallow.

But I didn't realise The Altogether's merits until I realised just how bad the Blue Album is. Blue Album is just so... empty. Even One Perfect Sunrise has pretty much lost all it's charm to me. You Lot... is not far behind. It's not even fun and goofy, it's just completely soul-less.

So far, Wonky is sounding very blue album to me.

And this is the other thing: You can get MUCH better silly goofy electronic pop than The Altogether, like off the top of my head Plaid's Rest Proof Clockwork. Why would you listen to The Altogether when Plaid did pretty much the same thing, a million times better?

Not bought an Orbital album since Middle of Nowhere, not counting the disappointing Live at Glastonbury effort. Got to say, it feels like one of those albums I 'should' buy rather than something I want to buy. I can't get excited about it.

I'm sure I've heard the name before, but she's on the first track on M83's last album too.

In some ways I think The Altogether is better than the Green album. Green is more consistent, but you're right, taken as a pop album, Altogether has some really nice moments like Funny Break, Waving Not Drowning, the Doctor Who cover, even Tension, as silly as it is. I enjoy those tracks more than anything off Green (except Belfast of course). But then, Altogether also has some really really cringe-worthy moments like Tootled and Oi, I find it VERY difficult to sit through those tracks. Even Desert Storm, a solid 12 minutes of "meh" is easier to swallow.

But I didn't realise The Altogether's merits until I realised just how bad the Blue Album is. Blue Album is just so... empty. Even One Perfect Sunrise has pretty much lost all it's charm to me. You Lot... is not far behind. It's not even fun and goofy, it's just completely soul-less.

So far, Wonky is sounding very blue album to me.

And this is the other thing: You can get MUCH better silly goofy electronic pop than The Altogether, like off the top of my head Plaid's Rest Proof Clockwork. Why would you listen to The Altogether when Plaid did pretty much the same thing, a million times better?

Agree with all of this.

Dear me, I was trying to stay open minded about this one but the tracks released so far just sound really bizarrely amateurish - cheesy synths, boring structures, unoriginal sounds, possibly some good melodies in there but just not realised properly. I think I'll just go listen to the times fly EP instead, that never gets old.

Guest Margatroid

Another new track. It's ok. Sounds nothing like Orbital. Has embarrassing wubwubwub bass line. Apart from that, it's "nice".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9USCcjfNm8&ob=av2e

it's too simple. from the sound design to the melodies. the last minute or so it just starts to approach what you might expect from orbital, but... it lacks that overwhelming force that pushes a track from "just music" to "an experience"...

The thing that bothers me the most about this is the totally "generic rave" sounding midrange synth that comes in at 1:44 with the LFO cutoff effect. It's so boring, and they always seemed to avoid cliched stuff like that. Maybe they're nostalgic for it now.

I mean, this track isn't horrible but it would be the least memorable track on any of their pre-"Altogether" albums. It just sounds like a bland Orbital song.

New France is cooler. You gotta love the signature backmasked vocals... It feels like they're genuinely trying something new while still retaining essential elements of their style.

I think I'll just go listen to the times fly EP instead, that never gets old.

Thanks for reminding me how good this is. Incidentally, was it ever released on CD? I've only listened to it via youtube and all I can find for sale online is vinyl.

The thing that bothers me the most about this is the totally "generic rave" sounding midrange synth that comes in at 1:44 with the LFO cutoff effect. It's so boring, and they always seemed to avoid cliched stuff like that. Maybe they're nostalgic for it now.

I mean, this track isn't horrible but it would be the least memorable track on any of their pre-"Altogether" albums. It just sounds like a bland Orbital song.

New France is cooler. You gotta love the signature backmasked vocals... It feels like they're genuinely trying something new while still retaining essential elements of their style.

I think I'll just go listen to the times fly EP instead, that never gets old.

Thanks for reminding me how good this is. Incidentally, was it ever released on CD? I've only listened to it via youtube and all I can find for sale online is vinyl.

Is that Capsule in your avatar?

Also... I have a version of Insides which has a bonus CD. On that cd is Times Fly and The Box EP (oddly all 4 parts are strung together into one track). Mine says it's a promo copy but I'm very certain it was released commercially.

Archived