IGNORED

Orbital - Wonky

mcbpete

I don't think I'll be buying this either. It's not entirely surprising really. The last album of theirs I bought was The Altogether, I didn't bother with the Blue Album. I'm going to see them on the 10th of April. I hope they don't fill out too much of the set with new album material. Having seen them a couple of times since they got back together they still know how to put on a show so I'll enjoy it hopefully. I've just been on a binge buying the back catalogue up on vinyl, which I think will do me just fine, I don't tire of the old stuff at all.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I blame it all on the change of logo, swirly hand drawn logo = superb albums, once they changed it...

I've been accused of reading too much into album art before, but balls to those people, I agree. They attempted to re-draw the swirly thing on Blue and came out with a crap looking version of it, coincidentally on the 'crap attempt to do a career retrospective style record' album. There are a couple of tracks on Blue that I like, actually, I think Transient is wonderful, and both Pants and Lost are reasonable - I certainly don't feel the need to skip them. The rest of it's poor, but that's a much better result than Wonky.

Listened to it. It's bad but not as bad as I thought.

I think it's only the last 3 tracks that are AWFUL... the rest range from pretty decent to pointless.

Damn man, you were like the Orbital kid too. The tide has turned.

i'm really really sad that the part in "Wonky" at 3:40-ish to 4:20ish has her lyrics over it.

there was that really early preview where it was just that less than 1 minute segment without any lyrics and that honestly sounded pretty sick on its own to me.

hearing the rest of the track i'm pretty damn disappointed.

but yeah most of this album isn't that great... but i think i like it more than the blue album

Well that's why I'm upset. They were my heroes. Now they just... *sigh*.

Did you watch that video? They're like "as long as people want to dance, they'll always buy dance records." That's what they care about now. There's as much motivation in this album as an 18 year old girl going to a club, getting drunk and contracting an STD from some guy she threw up on during the night before waking up in the morning sleeping on a park bench.

Now... some people think that's cool. And you know, that's fine. So they can make whatever. But that isn't gonna stop me from getting upset about it.

Well that's why I'm upset. They were my heroes. Now they just... *sigh*.

Did you watch that video? They're like "as long as people want to dance, they'll always buy dance records." That's what they care about now. There's as much motivation in this album as an 18 year old girl going to a club, getting drunk and contracting an STD from some guy she threw up on during the night before waking up in the morning sleeping on a park bench.

Now... some people think that's cool. And you know, that's fine. So they can make whatever. But that isn't gonna stop me from getting upset about it.

I think they kind of always wanted to make dance records though. Old interviews mention that all the time. Like In Sides started out them wanting to make a dance record but it just went somewhere else, even though i still get the groove going w/ it....then they got to it w/ The Middle of Nowhere. They seem to always want that in there.

...and if you have a chance to take a cute 18 year old girl to a club* and down a few drinks so you don't care what she says (and I'm not saying I have), I say take it, cause you're going to kick yourself later man.

*just find the right club

I dunno... that was a really bad example, and I must apologise for arguing a point so poorly. But I stand by my opinion: the level of thought put into post-Middle of Nowhere Orbital is not as deep as the older material.

Compare the rap in Choice (I know it's a sample but still) with the rapping in Wonky. Both songs are really cheesy, but one of them is clearly better than the other.

I feel like listening to Halcyon + On + On and holding back tears. That song with the music video was truely woeful shite.

It's not a bad album, actually I'm enjoying it. After the EP they released after they were back together I was a bit pessimistic about their return but turned out to be OK and it has the orbital feeling. Much better than blue album also.

It is a really good, enjoyable and well produced, an 8/10 from me and a big recommendation. There`s some classic Orbital tracks on here[One Big Moment, New France, Distractions, Stringy Acid, Where`s It Going]and some growers[Never, Beezlebub, Wonky].

http://pitchfork.com...ms/16458-wonky/

Even the hipster over at Pitchfork likes this. Already on Spotify. Gotta give it a listen.

But they gave The Blue Album 7.3 which IMO, is a bit generous.

From listening to it just once I would say Wonky is FAR better... I think I'm gonna end up buying it and maybe eating my words. But as long as those words are delicious I don't really care :P

Guest Anthrax

New album is excellent. Solid comeback. Once they start getting moody and experimental again... Like Phil said in an interview recently, the one way to go from here is up.

Archived