IGNORED

The Most Underrated / Overrated Music

Redruth

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Echoes and Ummagumma arey favourite era of Floyd. It is pretty impressive how they evolved as a band in a short space of time - like the Beatles did. Live in Pompeii is ace, watching a very stoned Nick Mason going on about pie crust, it's like Spinal Tap.

if TPAB had failed to get the critical response it got, i bet a lot of the people saying it's overrated and not that good would instead be saying how it's an ambitious and under appreciated album that was misunderstood by the public at large.

i actually think most people would have given it the dr dre's compton soundtrack treatment. everyone would have said they'd check it out, then mysteriously stopped listening to it and never included it on any "best of" lists like it never even happened

The best and most underrated Pink Floyd album is The Division Bell

Seeing as I am (or was) a massive Floydonian, you've made me realize that its a bit weird that I've never heard this album.

oh, watmm. :cat:

if TPAB had failed to get the critical response it got, i bet a lot of the people saying it's overrated and not that good would instead be saying how it's an ambitious and under appreciated album that was misunderstood by the public at large.

I don't know where I gave the impression of thinking that way. The main opinion I expressed here is: "GKMC is really good. I don't like TPAB that much". I fell in love with GKMC well after it blew up, so I don't think popularity enters into it. Is it really so shameful to like popular things around here?

overrated:

kendrick lamar's to pimp a butterfly: blows my mind that this album received/and continues to receive so much acclaim. sounded very mediocre to me

hipsters praising pop music is the new hipster :emotawesomepm9:

for real though I agree, but I don't listen to much hip hop

It is, but I think Kendrick is a lot less of a "pop" artist than someone like Beyonce, who lately receives massive praise from the likes of Pitchfork.

good kid, m.A.A.d city deserves all the praise it gets, in my opinion, but To Pimp a Butterfly feels quite overblown. "The Blacker the Berry" is an insanely good song though.

oh, watmm. :cat:

At first I really loved TPAB. Nowadays I dont listen to it at all and much prefer GKMC or section 80.

overrated:dj rashad

Fuck no

Agreed, fuck no.. Rashad was a highly gifted mixer and pioneer in footwork.

100% agree

For reals, I fucking wept when I heard about his death.

I don't understand what people see in Pink Floyd. I find their music incredibly boring. To my ears they're massively overrated, my big idiot ears.

They have their place, but never have they been my cup of tea, nor owned anything really by them. This track was my favorite of theirs...maybe mudmen for an honorbale mention.

[youtubehd]W1oaXqBJRRQ[/youtubehd]

I don't understand what people see in Pink Floyd. I find their music incredibly boring. To my ears they're massively overrated, my big idiot ears.

They have a couple of really good moments, and the Syd Barrett stuff was good but yeah, most of the Pink Floyd I actually get anything out of anymore just sounds like more radio friendly Popol Vuh.

For most overrated it's Radiohead without a doubt. Underrated I don't know, there are way too many underrated bands and artist to even know where to start. Maybe Nick Haeffner.

Radiohead overrated? Whaaah?

Show me another massively popular band that made something as good as Ok Computer, Kid A or Hail to the Thief

I'm not an obsessive or anything but damn, I think they're one of those rare bands that deserve all the success they've gotten

Sent from my pee-pee using poo-poo

Echoes and Ummagumma arey favourite era of Floyd. It is pretty impressive how they evolved as a band in a short space of time - like the Beatles did. Live in Pompeii is ace, watching a very stoned Nick Mason going on about pie crust, it's like Spinal Tap.

Ummagumma and Meddle are my favorites.

Ummagumma and Meddle are my favorites.

I'd say if you are into that era of Floyd, you have the necessary qualifications for future discoveries of BOC and Aphex. I'm pretty sure because I listened to a lot of Floyd as a youngster I was bound to end up on watmm sooner or later...

Very true. I think that whole thing of requiring patience and repeated listening to get the sauce maybe. I've just realised Echoes isn't an album, it's on Meddle, durrr.

Sent from my Vodafone 890N using Tapatalk

just to add Andrew fuckin Liles again, keeps you busy with so many releases of outstanding quality, in the best traditions of the likes of Richard H Kirk but further out & more paranoid, love the rich resonance of tone his productions have (he can jig a bit like TPS in that Fenix sort of area) Played in Hackney recently w/Stephen Stapleton/NWW, missed it but eternally grateful to the universe for producers like these who continue exploring the possibilities of sound the way they manage

new bits are always a good day & thats only half the drug of opening the seal of a new record, rediscovering that again (kinda) + bought & found more good records in 2015 than many's the year, also trying to add new albums bought this year into mixes with much older records & finding certain blends = still 1 of the best therapies, finding new combinations and then forgetting them

good year for music, but isnt it always

Overrated: music that gets rated at all has the scientifically greatest chance of being in this category.

Underrated: music that doesn't get rated at all can, semantically, not-not be in this category.

Opinions, though occasionally amounting to a hill of beans, don't reliably measure up to the selfsame idiom.

dunno about you mate but its always a buzz finding things that have slipped below the radar and thats what a lot of threads like these offer up, those odd nuggets of "wtf is THIS?" that've been missed and its always nice returning the favour to the odd soul now n again too

Btw new Radiohead jam just released this morning

(I think, at least...on iPad so haven't looked into it)

But anyway,

For any Pink Floyd skeptics

I'd say first that Pink Floyd had four phases

(Syd's show, 70's prog, Waters' existential laments, and then everything after that lol)

If you didn't like one phase, you'll still probably like another

Seriously, blaze a J and put on The Wall film

If it doesn't shake you to the bone, then I don't know what will

Sent from my pee-pee using poo-poo

Archived