IGNORED

The Most Underrated / Overrated Music

Redruth

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought odd future don't even need to be listed because it's so obvious??

DOOM is another that I've never really quite understood. I mean it's ok, but the amount of love/hype when compared to the amount/quality of output seems a tad off.

oh another for underrated: ABBA (at least in a snobbish i-know-shit-about-music way) and I don't just like them ironically. They fucking knew their niche so hard it's awesome.

lol "post tonal music" "nondiatonic melodic motion" really? THAT'S the reason you guys think The Beatles are overrated?

I mean, obviously The Beatles are overrated, but that's because NO BAND can EVER be as good as The Beatles are said to be by the people who say such things. Way to go out on a limb and say that the band that most people say is the BEST BAND EVER is overrated. Haha

Personally, I think Dylan is underrated. The reason is that I think that most of the albums that people say are the "bad Dylan albums" are actually good albums. They're not the same kinda stuff as his "classic" work, but they are almost all enjoyable and unique. Shot Of Love, for example, is totally slept on. So, underrated.

Agreed that Kid606 is underrated. He's got a ton of stormin' trax. I think pretty much everything that was attached to Tigerbeat6 back in the day is underrated. Cex is also very underrated, as long as you're talking about his instrumental output and not his singing or rapping. In my opinion.

Underrated: doseone & associated projects (I think anticon as a whole got pigeonholed as something "bad" when it wasn't really that at all—to me all the dose stuff really stands up and is still truly awesome, especially Subtle6)

Overrated is a dick thing to say but: Stones definitely, Deepchord (I'm always bored out of my mind listening to this shit, and I like dub techno), mid 2000s "instrumental hip hop"/Ninja Tune-y things (here I'm thinking Sixtoo, RJD2, uh... everything else that sounds like this), hmmm

Guest disparaissant

Byetone seems pretty underrated. I know a ton of Alva Noto fans who have never heard of him, and he's like 1/3 of that label and does all the design. And his music is fantastic.

overrated: raster noton catalog, warp, deepchord, sandwell district, mr oizo, tim hecker, plaid, raime,

underrated: mego catalog, surgeon, perc, sick lincoln, kiyo, mouse on mars,

I thought odd future don't even need to be listed because it's so obvious??

DOOM is another that I've never really quite understood. I mean it's ok, but the amount of love/hype when compared to the amount/quality of output seems a tad off.

oh another for underrated: ABBA (at least in a snobbish i-know-shit-about-music way) and I don't just like them ironically. They fucking knew their niche so hard it's awesome.

100% with you on ABBA. another from that period I think is somewhat underrated would be Supertramp

Overrated from that era: Big Star.

Doom is really good. I'm not as big on him as most, but I enjoy his music a ton.

Overrated: The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady.........

A Love Supreme - - -> now, I know this is probably stupid to say in some ways - I've never really had that whole 'Transcendent perfection' experience while listening to it though. It's more like, 'yeah, this is really good jazz.' But not particularly more amazing than anything else I've heard from that era. Just, really, really good/great. Not 100/100 Loveless masterpiece. I would award that to something like Karma by Pharaoh Sanders.

OK, this is getting silly.

underrated, without a doubt-Fela Kuti

and no, one broadway musical containing 1/25th of all of his output does not make him overrated.

this is absolutely correct.

overrated:

the kinks

this is unequivocally incorrect, especially when the british invasion brought forth the beatles and rolling stones, who garnered far more adoration during the same time period. village green preservation society.

Underrated:

Arovane

Overrated:

all guitar music/ rock + sub-genres

lol you didn't even try.

Byetone seems pretty underrated. I know a ton of Alva Noto fans who have never heard of him, and he's like 1/3 of that label and does all the design. And his music is fantastic.

yeah byetone is certainly one to watch

i also like Frank Bretschnider just a little bit more than Noto, i find his stuff has a more musical character

Overrated: The Rolling Stones

Underrated: 1. Clara Rockmore comes to mind. Beautiful reworkings of classical pieces on a theremin. The only thing I ever see theremin-wise today noticed by the general public are (bad) Zelda remixes on youtube.

2. And I 2nd 3rd Kid606.

3. Oh yea, totally forgot about Anticon. Doseone is a fantastic rapper, and Jel is a great producer. 3 years ago I would've said Yoni Wolf's band Why? is underrated, but it seems like they're falling into the hipster scene (and their music is getting boring). Odd Nosdam and Son Lux are also underrated.

4. Two Lone Swordsmen. I really like them, and I never hear much talk about them. Their songs are pretty simple, but still good. Idk, maybe they're rated just fine.

I also don't think that The Beatles themselves are overrated. I certainly think many of their songs are though. The Long and Winding Road? Why the hell is that one so popular? Either way, they were a good band who pulled off many styles.

lol "post tonal music" "nondiatonic melodic motion" really? THAT'S the reason you guys think The Beatles are overrated?

Underrated: doseone & associated projects (I think anticon as a whole got pigeonholed as something "bad" when it wasn't really that at all—to me all the dose stuff really stands up and is still truly awesome, especially Subtle6)

Overrated is a dick thing to say but: Stones definitely, Deepchord (I'm always bored out of my mind listening to this shit, and I like dub techno), mid 2000s "instrumental hip hop"/Ninja Tune-y things (here I'm thinking Sixtoo, RJD2, uh... everything else that sounds like this), hmmm

lolz tonality...

I 3rd Anticon: their releases have aged fairly well imo. Ninja Tune should of taken notes, they perpetuated that trip-hop jazz stuff for way too long.

I like telling people who casually make fun of ABBA that, IMO, they are pop geniuses. As for MF Doom I used to be a huge fanboy, but the perpetual teasing and delays of new material have turned me off a bit. I don't feel he's overrated whatsoever, but he's clearly become complacent in response to fame and hype.

I also don't think that The Beatles themselves are overrated. I certainly think many of their songs are though. The Long and Winding Road? Why the hell is that one so popular?

^Phil Spector was the core of that debacle. It's one of their most iffy tracks on their arguably most debated album (Let It Be)...

"McCartney was deeply dissatisfied with Spector's treatment of some songs, particularly "The Long and Winding Road". McCartney had conceived of the song as a simple piano ballad, but Spector dubbed in orchestral and choral accompaniment. McCartney unsuccessfully attempted to halt release of Spector's version of the song. He was fine with the orchestra, but he wanted the choir and harp to be removed. Despite the criticisms levelled at Spector over the years for his handling of the material, Lennon defended him in his famous Playboy interview 10 years later, saying, "He was given the shittiest load of badly-recorded shit with a lousy feeling to it ever, and he made something of it."

3. Oh yea, totally forgot about Anticon. Doseone is a fantastic rapper, and Jel is a great producer. 3 years ago I would've said Yoni Wolf's band Why? is underrated, but it seems like they're falling into the hipster scene (and their music is getting boring). Odd Nosdam and Son Lux are also underrated.

eh, they had their time in the spotlight.

overrated:

the kinks

this is unequivocally incorrect, especially when the british invasion brought forth the beatles and rolling stones, who garnered far more adoration during the same time period. village green preservation society.

Given the attention that has always been lavished on The Beatles, Stones, The Who et al from that era (rightly or wrongly is another matter), The Kinks almost always seem to get overlooked. I'm no Kinks afficianado (which is my failing), but Ray Davies as far as I've ever been able to tell was always every inch as talented a songwriter as Pete Townsend, never mind Lennon/McCartney and whoever wrote most of the Stones' stuff. Some of his lyrics were fucking poetic.

Overrated: The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady.........

A Love Supreme - - -> now, I know this is probably stupid to say in some ways - I've never really had that whole 'Transcendent perfection' experience while listening to it though. It's more like, 'yeah, this is really good jazz.' But not particularly more amazing than anything else I've heard from that era. Just, really, really good/great. Not 100/100 Loveless masterpiece. I would award that to something like Karma by Pharaoh Sanders.

OK, this is getting silly.

I think The Black Saint And The Sinner Lady is rated exactly right, being recognized as one of the greatest orchestrations in jazz history.

It sounds like a brilliant musician spilling his guts, almost awkward to listen to at times because it's so nakedly emotional. And it covers the whole spectrum from agony and anguish to love and ecstasy. Music from a life really lived. I honestly think it shits all over A Love Supreme, and that one is GREAT.

I think I had a certain attitude about those two records where I expected to like them right off from reading about them before hearing them. And then when I heard them they sounded quite good, brilliant in their own ways. I just never considered either of them to be pinnacle records of jazz. I wouldn't put A Love Supreme on before anything by Eric Dolphy, although of course it's an amazing album. It's held in very high esteem and I wouldn't really challenge that. But if I was to be honest in sharing my opinion I would just have to say it's never been one of my genuine favorites, probably because I've never been able to escape the initial feeling that I'm forcing myself to listen to it in order to see what the 'big deal' is. It's a pity, really. That's not to say that I haven't enjoyed listening to it. I especially like the piano and drums on the first two tracks.

I had the same experience of 'trying' to like something, to see what all the acclaim was about and failing - with Joy Division. I mean, I definitely enjoy the music from time to time. I've just never considered it much more than 'good.'

It is really hard to say the beatles suck in general, or they are awesome in general. They have some stuff that just blows me away. The last half of abbey road(this actually took me a long time to enjoy but now it is my favorite of theirs), lots of stuff on the white album. Their early stuff is not that interesting to me, but they were masters of their craft, their later stuff is riding that wave and branching out musically in lots of different ways. I just don't like generalizations about the beatles at all, good or bad.

some songs I find amazing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNRH7_Kd5Yc

(especially for the song structure and progression tied with happiness is a warm gun for me)

songs i find over-rated:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3HAJ4DjMhY

I've got lots more, there is a lot of beatles to explore. I don't know, yesterday is overrated. there is also a lot of stuff that is just not very rememberable. But i maybe shouldn't have made this post because I am having a hard time finding stuff i hate by them.

Guest dese manz hatin

overrated: extrawelt, trentemöller, squarepusher, gorillaz

underrated: everyone on DIAL/Smallville, theo parrish, tim hecker

overrated: raster noton catalog, warp, deepchord, sandwell district, mr oizo, tim hecker, plaid, raime,

wow i pretty much agree with all of that except im not familiar with deepchord or sick lincoln. For a label that hasn't progressed much in the last 6 years i do think Noton gets a tad too much coverage, they are great curators of one specific sound but as far as currently being experimental or cutting edge id only count maybe their most recent Mark Fell releases in that category

how is Tim Hecker underrated? Besides Eno himself or maybe Basinski i can't think of a single other household geek ambient musician name. In my strong opinion there are at least 20 other truly underrated ambient musicians who deserve praise before Tim Hecker

wow i pretty much agree with all of that except im not familiar with deepchord or sick lincoln. For a label that hasn't progressed much in the last 6 years i do think Noton gets a tad too much coverage, they are great curators of one specific sound but as far as currently being experimental or cutting edge id only count maybe their most recent Mark Fell releases in that category

how is Tim Hecker underrated? Besides Eno himself or maybe Basinski i can't think of a single other household geek ambient musician name. In my strong opinion there are at least 20 other truly underrated ambient musicians who deserve praise before Tim Hecker

again with basinski! i wondered in the ursula bogner thread how you gather he's a "hoaxer" (no reply) but now you're adding overrated ambient household name to his title? where are you coming up with this?

Archived