IGNORED

Ulrich Schnauss - A Long Way To Fall

BOCfan

Ulrich Schnauss fans will be thrilled to hear that the new album, A Long Way To Fall, will be released next year in either March or April. In February he will be releasing a collaborative album, Underrated Silence, which he worked on with Mark Peters.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 9 months later...

Ulrich has just posted an update on his facebook page as to how everything currently stands.

Due to it taking longer than he anticipated to get the album wrapped up, the album won't be appearing this year, but will instead be released on January 21st, 2013.

The title track, A Long Way To Fall, will be made available next month (Sept.) for free download via his soundcloud page. In October or November, an EP will be coming that will also feature remixes.

So it's been a bit of a wait, but Ulrich will soon have new solo material out and I for one can't wait.

What an appropriate title for a Schnauss album, regarding the steep decline in quality in his output over the last few years.

Those last two collaborations were just horrific, weren't they?

I thought 'Goodbye' was great! Some of Ulrich's best moments are on there!

If I had to level criticism against Schnauss exhibit A would be his lack of rhythmic interest where percussion is concerned. I'd also like to hear more melodies in minor keys... At times Ulrich albums are a bit like eating an entire loganberry crumble; the first 1 or 2 pieces are amazing but any more than that and the sweetness can start to grate. I guess what I'm saying is I'd like to hear a little more darkness come out of the next batch of tracks. 'Medusa' was an example of a more foreboding edge that Ulrich was skirting but it stands virtually alone in his catalog.

I also have a bit of an issue with Judith Beck's vocals; she sounds like something along the lines of a goth tranny who may or may not watch a lot of anime. Does anyone else get a similar vibe from her?

Guest Jimmy McMessageboard

This thread reminded me to catch up with ulrich. his far way trains album defined my life for a year whilst living in london. I woke up to every morning as my alarm. so I needed a break after rinsing that too much but recently i heard it again and loved it still. so need to hear what he's been doing since. I think i heard the follow up but didnt like it as much.

I thought 'Goodbye' was great! Some of Ulrich's best moments are on there!

If I had to level criticism against Schnauss exhibit A would be his lack of rhythmic interest where percussion is concerned. I'd also like to hear more melodies in minor keys... At times Ulrich albums are a bit like eating an entire loganberry crumble; the first 1 or 2 pieces are amazing but any more than that and the sweetness can start to grate. I guess what I'm saying is I'd like to hear a little more darkness come out of the next batch of tracks. 'Medusa' was an example of a more foreboding edge that Ulrich was skirting but it stands virtually alone in his catalog.

I also have a bit of an issue with Judith Beck's vocals; she sounds like something along the lines of a goth tranny who may or may not watch a lot of anime. Does anyone else get a similar vibe from her?

lol spot on

Guest cult fiction

What an appropriate title for a Schnauss album, regarding the steep decline in quality in his output over the last few years.

Those last two collaborations were just horrific, weren't they?

Hadn't actually listened to anything of his since 2009 or so... and now I wish that was still the case.

Well, I love his output. The bits and pieces of his newer album that I've heard sound like it will be a bit a departure from his past work, and he's stated so in recent interviews.

Horses for courses, however.

• 1 month later...
Guest Jimmy McMessageboard

lovely indeed. i'm onboard. the drums that come in even have that train vibe of his that i love

I'm glad you've picked up on that train vibe as well. Ulrich's drum patterns bring trains to mind for me too, particularly the sound made when I cross the Forth Railway Bridge when I'm on one.

Ulrich has gone on record in saying that this album is a love letter to the synthesiser and, as Goiter says above, he's certainly made it sound majestic in that track.

• 2 weeks later...

The album is now listed on itunes, amazon, and 7digital. I understand that previews are avaiable for each track, but I'm avoiding them as I want the album to be fresh on release (though I have listened to the title track). Here's said links:

itunes: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/a-long-way-to-fall/id566652665

amazon (not sure if previews are here but LP preorders are): http://www.amazon.co.uk/A-Long-Way-Fall-VINYL/dp/B009HJX3OA/ref=mb_oe_l

7digital: http://www.7digital.com/artist/ulrich-schnauss/release/a-long-way-to-fall

• 2 months later...

Wow, didn't know that juno had an entire album preview.

Thanks for the link but, for me personally, I'm avoiding a site where you can stream the album in its entirety (atm). I heard a lot of Goodbye before it was released and there subsequently wasn't too much that was new when I bought the album; not making that mistake again.

Glad to hear you like what you're hearing, however.

Archived